Sam Raimi to direct young Wizard of Oz
According to SciFi Wire:[indent]Sam Raimi has signed to direct Oz, the Great and Powerful for Disney, according to Deadline. The 3-D prequel to the original Wizard of Oz (it's kind of hard to write that, actually) will start with the character in his pre-wizarding days, when he's just a circus performer who suddenly gets whisked away in a hot air balloon by a tornado to the land of Oz and ... well, you can figure out the rest, right?

Raimi apparently beat out candidates like Sam Mendes, Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) and even Guillermo del Toro for the job. Robert Downey Jr. has been heavily rumored to star in the film but has not confirmed his involvement yet. A source told Deadline, "They are going to develop [the movie] for him, if things go right. The script will be rewritten."[/indent]

Read the full article here.
Interesting. I wonder how closely it will follow the ideas in Baum's books? I'm guessing not very.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
But since the story is set in the Wizard's youth they probably don't have much material to be faithful to. I don't remember how many of the books I have read (there are 14 altogether) but I never really came across much information about him.
There's some biographical data on him at this Oz Wiki, but almost all of it is about his life post-arrival in Oz. Basically the stuff where Ozma is hidden away.

But this will surely be a fantasy vehicle for whoever the star is, much like Depp as the warrior-Mad Hatter in the recent Alice.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Michael Wrote:I don't remember how many of the books I have read (there are 14 altogether) but I never really came across much information about him.

There are a few details about him, but they're actually fairly inconsistent. The Land of Oz states that he seized power from Ozma's father while Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz states that it was the Wicked Witches who got rid of Ozma's father and the Wizard merely occupied the absent throne. There's also other little details about Oz that I wonder if they'll show: the different coloured countries for instance. Also, I wonder if it will be a musical like the 1939 film (which is a firm contender for my favourite film ever).
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
august, I must have wasted 30 minutes at work looking at that wiki site. Shame on you! :lol:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legend of the Seeker Fans Asking Sam Raimi for a Movie (again) FilmGuy 0 218 November 4th, 2014, 02:42 AM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Video: Trailer for "Young Ones" FilmGuy 0 311 July 27th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  TV Commercial director Fredrik Bond will direct SciFi movie "Year 12" Michael 0 506 November 17th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Last Post: Michael
  spielberg to direct halo badlands 1 448 August 17th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Sam Raimi to direct "World of Warcraft" movie Michael 3 680 July 31st, 2009, 04:34 PM
  Young Claymation devotee hopes to bring it back Michael 0 450 January 12th, 2009, 05:12 AM
  Tom Cruise to star in Sam Raimi's "Sleeper" adaptation Michael 0 334 August 29th, 2008, 12:48 AM
  Sean Young Rehabs Fantasy 3 659 March 1st, 2008, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  My thoughts on Direct-to-DvD "Wild Hogs" (some spoilage) Michael 3 782 September 25th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Dixie
  Michael Apted picked to direct 3rd "Narnia" film Michael 1 534 April 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM