"Prince of Persia" - My Review (not good)
They did not take this movie seriously. I guess they felt that since it was based on a gaming world they could take all sorts of liberties with it. In doing so Hollywood (and Jerry Bruckheimer in particular) once again insulted fantasy fans.

The whole "ostrich racing" thing was just plain stupid. The characters came across as not knowing what they were supposed to be doing. There was no suspension of disbelief. The gag would have worked better with camels or horses.

But the movie did not need the gag at all.

And the dialog was terrible. It was so corny and trite we had a hard time getting into the movie. Every time it looked like they might take the venture seriously they dropped it down to the level of "Let's See How Dumb And Dorky Hollywood Can Look".

Jerry Bruckheimer and Disney, if you're too embarrassed to do fantasy seriously, then just don't do it. Stick to animated films and goofy movies about zebras in the kitchen.

They should have gotten James Cameron to do this movie.

See the movie for the curiosity factor but don't get your hopes up.
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed I have to say (and I had low expectations). The script was clunky and heavy-handed, the plot was muddled and Gemma Arterton's character was possibly the most annoying person ever in fiction.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
Yes, I would have to say pretty much the same things...the one thing that really bugged me were the inordinate number of "reaction shots" of Jake Gyllenhaal. I can honestly say that it must have broken some kind of record in that regard.

A few good things to point out - costuming and set decoration did not have that "cheesy fantasy" feel that other recently released films have had. Also, the score was not annoying ( kind of a back handed compliment, I know, but the score of Clash of the Titans , for example, was hard to sit through ).
Some of the supporting cast was quite good, too. Smile
" It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Hmmm... I know absolutely nothing about the Prince of Persia then the fact that its based (loosely) on a game, and of the game I know next to nothing but the title. So, based on my cluelesness, is there a chance that I could enjoy it a tad more then all of you? Or should I just save my $14 and watch Sex & the City instead (which has garnered similar reviews)?
It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.
- Weinberg
I know little about the game myself. Played one of them on the Playstation 2 for about 5 minutes and that is the extent of my knowledge so it wasn't like I had much in the way of expectation going into this. Not sure I could ever bring myself to recommend Sex & the City though :wink:
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
Say_What?! Wrote:Hmmm... I know absolutely nothing about the Prince of Persia then the fact that its based (loosely) on a game, and of the game I know next to nothing but the title. So, based on my cluelesness, is there a chance that I could enjoy it a tad more then all of you?

That's all I knew too before watching it. I pretty much agree with all the others. It was a very weak movie.

The stunts were cool.

Quote:Or should I just save my $14 and watch Sex & the City instead (which has garnered similar reviews)?

SATC 2 = wait for the DVD. Also very weak. Though I personally thought the outfits were better in this movie.

Save your $14 until Inception comes out. That looks interesting.
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
I don't think this movie is worth seeing in the theater. The soundtrack is better than a lot of cheese fantasy movies' soundtracks but it's just not really a worthy theatrical release. The special effects are what set it above television-quality programming.

Wait until you can watch it on cable or rent the DvD. Then decide.
I'll be waiting for the DVD. I had wanted to see it in theaters, and my parents said it was pretty fun, low-bar, but still fun. But given the negative reviews by you folk, I think I'll pass.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
That does it, I'll be waiting for the DVD to come out too. My sister-in-law said something similar, "Leave your brain at the door and you might last through the screening."
It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.
- Weinberg
Jake G is not a leading man, he is great in character roles, but I don't think he has much presence as a action hero
He probably needs to take on a project that treats its subject matter more seriously. Gyllenhaal probably did not do his career any favors with this movie. But he probably didn't hurt himself too much, either.
I only ever played the very first Prince of Persia.

(Thank you Prince, but the Princess is in another castle! LOL!)

I didn't think Michael was into such high powered gaming as the later PoP though!
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
Michael Wrote:He probably needs to take on a project that treats its subject matter more seriously. Gyllenhaal probably did not do his career any favors with this movie. But he probably didn't hurt himself too much, either.

If the movie had done well, Gyllenhaal would have benefited greatly in a number of ways. However, his dedication and body work have certainly helped his credentials as more than just a pretty face or talented actor. He now has a great potential to be an action star/heart throb. So even if the movie was lackluster, Gyllenhaal has benefitted from being a part of it and throwing himself, (literally) into the roll (also literally).
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Coconut Ent Wrote:I only ever played the very first Prince of Persia.

(Thank you Prince, but the Princess is in another castle! LOL!)

I didn't think Michael was into such high powered gaming as the later PoP though!

Not really into interactive gaming. Never played Prince of Persia. But the advance publicity was intriguing.
Ostrich racing was a rip off from Swiss Family Robinson. Makes you wonder why people say movies from video games are so bad.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: History Buffs 2016 Review of 'Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World' Michael 2 979 June 21st, 2020, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Michael
  The good and bad science of "Earth II" Michael 0 633 May 22nd, 2018, 02:54 AM
  Michael's Review of "Muder on the Orient Express" (2017) Michael 1 769 November 24th, 2017, 11:30 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Michael's Review of "Alien: Covenant" Michael 1 434 June 28th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Ingvanye
  Transformers: The Last Knight - Michael's Review Michael 0 371 June 25th, 2017, 10:44 PM
  Where is the Cars3 review? badlands 2 423 June 21st, 2017, 05:42 AM
  Michael's Review of "Passengers" Michael 0 370 December 25th, 2016, 09:40 PM
  Michael's Review of "Independence Day: Resurgence" Michael 0 673 June 26th, 2016, 07:54 PM
  "Hail, Caesar!" - Michael's Review Michael 2 519 February 28th, 2016, 12:32 PM
  Michael's Review of "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2" Michael 1 420 November 21st, 2015, 02:52 PM
Last Post: rkomar