Mike Mahaffey's YouTube audition for Bilbo Baggins
I won't pretend to know the full story behind this. Hawke Robinson gave me a heads up about actor Mike Mahaffey's desire to play Bilbo Baggins in "The Hobbit". Watch this audition video and judge for yourself. Is this our Bilbo? I could easily say "yes".

Mike Mahaffey auditions for Bilbo Baggins From YouTube
SF-Fandom not responsible for video content

SF-Fandom reserves the right to remove inappropriate video content from its discussions. YouTube may remove the video from its service without notification.

Mike has a Facebook page where you can leave your (hopefully) supporting thoughts.
He's actually quite good ! I think Elijah Wood did something like that...sent in a tape of him dressed the part, etc.
The voice of Gollum's not bad ,either...it makes me wonder if Gollum could ever be played by an actor, as opposed to cg. They could always change the body shape with cgi, so that the actor wouldn't have to starve himself to the point of emaciation...:confused:
" It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Not bad.

I don't know if Gollum, at this point, can or will ever be played without CGI. Some of the transition sequences in LOTR were done with Andy Serkis in make-up, and then later aided with some CGI before taking the character to full CGI. But the character, especially with any investment from Peter Jackson, is pretty well in-grained at this point. Even the Bakshi and Rankin-Bass productions were faithful to the description provided by Tolkien, which would make it difficult for a live-actor to portray without assistance.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I can't say much for Mahaffey as Bilbo. But the dude who played Gollum was very close -- in voice and mannerisms -- to what I'd expect. Andy Sirkis left such a personal stamp on the role that whomever gets it this time around will be forever compared to Sirkis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bilbo's claim to the Arkenstone Mordomin 14 602 September 28th, 2019, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Could Frodo or Bilbo had destroy the ring sooner? badlands 15 1,770 January 19th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Book Announcement: The Hobbits - The Many Lives of Bilbo, Frodo, ... BookBug 3 888 February 12th, 2013, 12:02 PM
  Leonard Nimoy sings "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" august 1 627 January 21st, 2012, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Paul Goode
  September 14 is the REAL birthday for Bilbo and Frodo Baggins! BoardAdmin 6 468 October 9th, 2011, 11:31 PM
  John Rateliff asking for errata for MR BAGGINS UK trade paperback printing Michael 4 584 April 11th, 2011, 11:31 AM
  Bilbo baggins badlands 2 539 October 17th, 2010, 01:38 PM
  Baggins Day 2010 Michael 1 567 September 22nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Tobey Maguire to play Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit? Michael 4 862 December 17th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Last Post: august
  Sept 13, 2008 is Bilbo and Frodo's birthday Michael 12 2,094 September 20th, 2008, 12:21 PM