Sinbad Films: Golden Voyage & Eye of the Tiger
TCM ran a Ray Harryhausen marathon Friday night (August posted about it here), which prompted me to pop in my DVD of Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger last night. Although I've had the movie for years, this is the first time I've watched the whole thing.

The film has an interesting cast. Patrick Wayne, the son of John Wayne (surely August has pointed this out before) plays Sinbad, and Taryn Power, daughter of Tyrone Power, plays a supporting role, Dione. The second Doctor Who, Patrick Troughton, plays the wise old Milanthius, but I couldn't shake the feeling that he should be leading the children of Israel out of Egypt instead. :laugh: Jayne Seymour plays the female lead, she's still very young here, roughly 4 years after her big debut in Live and Let Die.

Although this is fun to watch because it's a kind of movie they don't make anymore, I get the impression that it was made with children as the target audience. The acting generally leaves something to be desired. The plot isn't very good, being of the go-here-do-this variety, and while the effects are spectacular for a fan of Harryhausen, stop-motion was obsolete by this point. (1977). Harryhausen would do Clash of the Titans in 1981, that film would effectively wrap up his career.

If stop-motion was on the way out, these late Harryhausen films surely exhibit the art at it's zenith in live action films. The baboon and sabre-tooth tiger have some particularly impressive moments, I thought.

The villain, Zinobia, is played by an actress named Margaret Whiting. The special features 'talent files' lists her as being born in Detroit, but they've obviously got her confused with an old Jazz singer of the same name. Her IMDb lists mostly British television credits, including an early episode of 'The Avengers'. She's got that classically trained British actress air about her. One of the better actors in the film, and it's a shame we didn't see more of her in big movies. This is a comical example of someone not doing their homework, and other people not checking up on facts!
Oh yeah...loved that movie.
I remember the part when Sinbad was getting ready for his fight with Milanthius, and he's training hard in the gym to the theme song...
Quote:Risin' up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive

So many times, it happens too fast
You change your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

Chorus:
It's the eye of the tiger, it's the cream of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
And he's watchin' us all in the eye of the tiger

And then they had great fight in Madison Square Garden, after which, Sinbad screams into the crowd 'Dioneeeeeeee!'

Oh, wait a minute...that's the wrong movie. Umm...never mind.Huh
BTW, I watched The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974) this afternoon, and I think it's probably a better film than Eye of the Tiger.

John Phillip Law plays Sinbad in this one, and he delivers his lines better than Patrick Wayne. Also you've got another Doctor Who in the cast, Tom Baker this time, playing the villain. And you can't beat Caroline Munro in the eye candy department!

Two of the main animated sequences feature statues come to life. The sound editing for these is done well, and it all works in favor of the stop-motion animation. The creaking and clanking, along with the slightly jerky motions are a good sell--it's what you might expect an inanimate object come to life would move like.
Yes, Golden Voyage is my favourite of the three Sinbads (although 7th Voyage is close behind). Tom Baker steals every scene he's in, the monsters (particularly the 2 statues) are impressive and the story has a mythic quality lacking in Eye of the Tiger (which was fun but definitely the weakest of the three).

John Phillip Law is my favourite of the three Sinbads. Unlike Wayne he can actually act and he's less clean cut than Kerwin Matthews.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
I thoroughly agree - I was old enough when Golden Voyage came out to be following movies on my own, know who some of the actors were, etc. This was heavily covered in *cough* Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, as well as a short-lived but really excellently-done tabloid called *cough* The Monster Times. Hey those were the titles, but pre-internet, that's where you got your news in middle school. :laugh:

And as I think I said in the other thread, the two statues coming to life worked just perfectly, since any awkwardness could be excused by their being made of heavy material. Ditto for the little winged homonculus creature, since again, he was just sort of "created" via magic.

I seem to recall that I saw Eye of the Tiger at a drive-in. :bounce: Back when those still existed, and first-run movies would actually play there! The baboon was the perfect example of how when Harryhausen tried to do actual animals, it just didn't quite work. I always though Patrick Wayne was OK, and he had a loooong career, 70+ roles and most were not in his father's films. But he was really good when he was young, and working with his father, like in The Searchers, The Alamo, Big Jake and McLintock. I always got the impression that he just didn't try that hard when he was on his own. Although interesting, he won a Golden Globe, tying with James Garner and John Saxon for "Most Promising Newcomer." John Philip Law though was much more believable as a dangerous Arabic hero. He was one of those people like Palance, Bronson, Lee Van Cleef, et al. who found easy money playing American heroes in European films, and so never got big in the US.

Boomstick Wrote:The special features 'talent files' lists her as being born in Detroit, but they've obviously got her confused with an old Jazz singer of the same name. Her IMDb lists mostly British television credits, including an early episode of 'The Avengers'. She's got that classically trained British actress air about her. One of the better actors in the film, and it's a shame we didn't see more of her in big movies. This is a comical example of someone not doing their homework, and other people not checking up on facts!

:lol: That's hilarious - yep, the IMDB says she graduated from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, and was married to Colin Blakely, who was in every "big" British movie made in the 60's and 70's practically. Guessing she probably mainly did stage work in the UK.... I suspect they picked up the mistake from Wikipedia, which has the actress's credit in the movie linked to the jazz singer's bio.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
august Wrote:I suspect they picked up the mistake from Wikipedia, which has the actress's credit in the movie linked to the jazz singer's bio.

Heh...nice. Ah, the information superhighway...doing it's part to dumb down society even more... :jester:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Skyway Patrolman 3 787 November 14th, 2020, 02:10 AM
Last Post: Skyway Patrolman
  Fantastic Voyage Skyway Patrolman 0 382 November 8th, 2020, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Skyway Patrolman
  Hanna Barbera cartoons reboots as live action films badlands 2 522 January 13th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Michael
  that time I unexpectedly met Peter from the Narnia films august 3 458 April 9th, 2018, 04:34 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Animated movies/ T.V series you like to see as live action films? badlands 0 321 April 5th, 2017, 04:06 PM
  Tiger temple movie badlands 0 342 March 4th, 2016, 12:34 AM
  Lucha Libre Films Mission Team 1 3,606 September 20th, 2013, 09:04 PM
  scifi film noir films MadaBidyoni 15 2,079 March 21st, 2013, 12:27 PM
Last Post: august
  Sci Fi Films Wanted! FuzionFilmz1 5 1,887 March 13th, 2012, 04:53 AM
  Video: Trailer for independent short film "Avarice" by Macedonia Films FilmGuy 0 1,281 January 5th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Last Post: FilmGuy