Fess Parker (Davy Crockett): An American Icon Got Better With Age
We have giant ants to thank for bringing Fess Parker to the attention of Walt Disney, who was looking for an actor to portray Davy Crockett. I interviewed Mr. Parker, who passed away on Thursday at the age of 85, in 1994 on the occasion of the home video release of Davy Crockett and the River Pirates. As he told it, Disney was screening the science fiction film Them, in which Parker had a brief scene:

[indent]"There were an enormous amount of possibilities that would have caused him to miss my little two or three-minute scene," he recalled in that folksy Texas drawl, "but he didn't get a phone call, he didn't have to go to the bathroom, someone didn't interrupt him. He saw me and asked who I was. No one knew."[/indent]

That wouldn't last long. With the Dec. 15, 1954 broadcast of Davy Crockett, Indian Fighter on Disney's anthology series, Disneyland, Parker became TV's first American idol. The theme song ("Born on a mountaintop on Tennessee....") topped the charts, and Parker's signature coonskin cap became the fashion statement for kids who acted out Crockett's rustic adventures in their backyards. I became one of them when the episodes were re-broadcast on The Wonderful World of Color in the 1960s.

Read the rest here.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
So sorry to read about his passing. I didn't watch Daniel Boone when it was in primetime, except maybe for the last season. I remember not being aware it was on. I think some NBC stations refused to carry it or maybe there was a conflict.

I did catch many of the episodes in post-production syndication during the 70s and I really liked the show.
Santa Anna got him. :dummy:
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Atheist: the Madalyn O'Hair story. badlands 2 517 November 14th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Agaricus
  American Sniper badlands 1 319 January 19th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Michael
  a movie about King Leopold and American missionary ,Sheppard? badlands 2 485 January 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Last Post: august
  movie about women American football and football players badlands 0 372 December 15th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Last Post: badlands
  American Psycho Aragorn_619 9 828 January 10th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Boomstick