'Man of Steel'
Quote:LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - After helping director Christopher Nolan bring Batman back to the spotlight, writer David Goyer is coming on board to rejuvenate Superman.

Warner Bros. has a lot of incentive to move forward on "Man of Steel," as the project is rumored to be called at this stage; under a deal with the heirs of Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel, a movie needs to be in production by 2011 or the studio will have to fork over millions.

The studio previously attempted to revive Superman in 2006 with "Superman Returns," which was directed by Bryan Singer.

Full Article here

The Latino Review Article
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
But . . . but . . . I liked Superman Returns!! It needs another reboot!?!
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
They're really waffling with this, a while back the word was that they were just going to hold off and let the dust settle with the Siegel's before they moved forward. Now it looks like it's back on the fast track.

Personally I don't think Nolan and Goyer are the right people for Superman. But then again, like RobRoy, I actually liked Superman Returns.
Boomstick Wrote:But then again, like RobRoy, I actually liked Superman Returns.

I also liked it.
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
Me too! In fact, I watched it again on DVD just last week. Not only does it have some pretty spectacular action sequences but it also a very good character piece and really develops Superman as a person not just a hero.

I think it's a shame to simply abandon the good work that was done by moving off in another new direction.
I don't think "Superman Returns" qualifies as a reboot, since it builds on the first four Christopher Reeve movies.
Michael Wrote:I don't think "Superman Returns" qualifies as a reboot, since it builds on the first four Christopher Reeve movies.

Technically, Singer only used the first two movies for his basis and discarded the last two. But, that's just me being pedantic. Your point, of course, is well taken and you are quite right, this wasn't so much a reboot as a continuation built on the foundations of Superman and Superman II.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Jammin Wrote:Me too! In fact, I watched it again on DVD just last week. Not only does it have some pretty spectacular action sequences but it also a very good character piece and really develops Superman as a person not just a hero.

I think it's a shame to simply abandon the good work that was done by moving off in another new direction.

Nice to see another Superman Returns fan. There's definitely a few of us out there, and I think many more people enjoyed the film than the negative, internet-fueled hype might lead one to believe.
Boomstick Wrote:Nice to see another Superman Returns fan. There's definitely a few of us out there, and I think many more people enjoyed the film than the negative, internet-fueled hype might lead one to believe.

As I recall, the movie made money. It actually did quite well . . . until Batman Returns blew us all away. But still, there were plenty of people who enjoyed the film, and helped it make a profit. I think this is one of those Phantom Menace things. Everyone went to see the movie, some people several times, but no one wants to remember that's what happened.

Boomstick Wrote:I think many more people enjoyed the film than the negative, internet-fueled hype might lead one to believe.

Well, see, that's the thing - I hadn't read any of the negative internet complaints, but I do read all the major places for reviews (NY Times, Rolling Stone, USA Today, Time Magazine, sometimes the New Yorker and Playboy - solely for the articles of course :jester: - plus my local daily and weekly papers) as well as their reports on box-office grosses and critical reception, so up until this very moment I had thought that Superman Returns was received pretty favorably.

Although looking at the IMDB, I see that it just broke even domestically - I gather it was sort of like Watchmen - it did very well in its first few weeks at the box office, but was just a very expensive movie to make, so it wasn't the huge smash they had hoped for. But that of course doesn't affect the person watching it. Once again, we're left with that conundrum - if a dozen, or a hundred, or a thousand people complain about something on the internet, and the other 7 billion aren't aware of their existence, do the complainers even exist? :laugh:
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
August, it's basically in the same boat as Spider-Man 3. The hype says it was terrible (and it was, if you're a Spidey fan), but tons of people were quite satisfied with it. In fact, I think it was the highest grossing Spidey movie of the three.
And you would be correct, Boomer:

Spider-Man - $821 million gross
Spider-Man 2 - $793 million gross
Spider-Man 3 - $890 million gross

The above numbers reflect only the global grosses, and not domestic, nor do they take into account the budget of each film, which steadily increased as well. Still, a movie makes back three to four time its original budget, it’s certainly considered a hit, regardless of any Jar-Jar Remorse later.

Jammin Wrote:Me too! In fact, I watched it again on DVD just last week. Not only does it have some pretty spectacular action sequences but it also a very good character piece and really develops Superman as a person not just a hero.

Reading this again, I just have to point out how much I agree with you. The action sequences were fantastic. The first time I saw that plane crash sequence is one of the most exciting scenes I've seen in any movie, ever.

The humor was spot-on, it had a great cast, what more could you want? I like the Christopher Reeve movies, too, and while I understand that they're dated when you watch them now, I appreciated that Bryan Singer used them as a starting point. As a result Superman Returns is quite a unique film.

I get the impression that people who didn't like the film will only be satisfied when they see a vicious, violent battle between Superman and a foe of equal or greater power. Or just to see him walk around and abuse his powers, maybe. I don't know. But it's clear that the do-good "Big Blue Boyscout" is of little interest to them.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I just don't see Goyer writing the kind of Superman film I want to see. But he's probably just the guy to write the Supes film that the current generation of fans have been waiting for. Then again, maybe not. It'll be quite funny if the result is a film that fans like less than they did Superman Returns.

Granted, that's extremely unlikely just given how hype works these days.
Boomstick Wrote:Reading this again, I just have to point out how much I agree with you. The action sequences were fantastic. The first time I saw that plane crash sequence is one of the most exciting scenes I've seen in any movie, ever.

The humor was spot-on, it had a great cast, what more could you want? I like the Christopher Reeve movies, too, and while I understand that they're dated when you watch them now, I appreciated that Bryan Singer used them as a starting point. As a result Superman Returns is quite a unique film.

I get the impression that people who didn't like the film will only be satisfied when they see a vicious, violent battle between Superman and a foe of equal or greater power. Or just to see him walk around and abuse his powers, maybe. I don't know. But it's clear that the do-good "Big Blue Boyscout" is of little interest to them.

Totally agree about the plane crash - absouletly brilliant both in terms of concept and execution.

As for the 'Boyscout' thing, I think it's sad if that's the feeling people have of the film. I thought the character of Superman was so much more three dimensional than I'd ever seen before. The sheer weight of responsibility of being the world's hero, the pain of seeing the person you love with someone else the determination and willingness to sacrifice in order to do what's needed. Very moving and complex characterisations for a 'popcorn' hero movie.

I just hope, like you, that the new film doesn't throw all that away and just be reduced to a special effects laden slug fest. Might be good to look at, but if it doesn't have depth it won't have meaning and then what's the point if you don't care who wins or not?
Jammin Wrote:I just hope, like you, that the new film doesn't throw all that away and just be reduced to a special effects laden slug fest. Might be good to look at, but if it doesn't have depth it won't have meaning and then what's the point if you don't care who wins or not?

Given what we've seen from those guys in the new Batman movies, it'll probably be a solid film with some real dramatic content. Then again, I've only seen those Batman movies once a piece, I've seen Superman Returns many times, and will see it many more...

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Man of Steel" - My Take Michael 1 535 June 17th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Last Post: Coconut Ent
  Video: Trailer for "Man of Steel" FilmGuy 0 414 December 11th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy