Trek movie nominated for 4 Oscars, wins 1
Just tech categories though:

Best Make Up
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing
Best Visual Effects

I think the key is here that for a change they had enough money to spend on hiring the very best people to do these things. The very first pic did get 3 nominations, but no wins, for Best Art Direction, Best Visual Effects, and Best Music, Original Score. And Voyage Home had 4, for Cinematography, Music (Original Score) Sound, and Sound Effects Editing.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
No "Best Picture"? No "Best Send Up of Captain Kirk"?

Sheesh! What are the Oscars coming to?

Anyway, congrats to the film crew for the nominations.
It won the award for make-up, beating out apparently just two other nominees, Il Divo and The Young Victoria. (Since Avatar's make-up - and I assume District 9 - was actually CGI.)
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
august Wrote:It won the award for make-up, beating out apparently just two other nominees, Il Divo and The Young Victoria. (Since Avatar's make-up - and I assume District 9 - was actually CGI.)

Correct. Avatar and District 9 fall under Visual Effects headings, which Avatar won.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
That's interesting because some of the Star Trek make up was digitally enhanced. According to the Blu Ray extras, the green skinned ladies were painted green on set but their green was enhanced in post production - to cover up patchy bits, add more detail and clean up areas where the paint had rubbed off - onto Chris Pine's face for example!
There were some quotes at Sci-Fi Wire, and they were mainly talking about the Vulcan and Romulan make-up designs. And not just the ears, but non-fantastic elements too, like the tattoos. I think the award is for design, since just spraying someone with green paint doesn't take too much creativity. Wink

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Michael's thoughts) Michael 0 42 May 9th, 2022, 01:38 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Star Trek: Picard Michael 1 130 May 9th, 2022, 01:32 AM
  How can star trek get new fans? hour_25mikehodel 4 79 May 9th, 2022, 01:19 AM
  In Defense of Star Trek: Enterprise Michael 19 1,582 April 6th, 2022, 05:21 PM
  Star Trek: Lower Decks Valandil 1 370 December 1st, 2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: rkomar
  Star Trek languages badlands 4 523 July 1st, 2021, 10:19 AM
  Video - History of Star Trek Michael 0 583 July 25th, 2020, 09:18 PM
  Star Trek video/ computer games badlands 4 1,039 July 23rd, 2020, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Mary Sue character in Star Trek badlands 13 1,654 June 29th, 2020, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  New Animated Star Trek badlands 3 782 June 8th, 2020, 12:00 PM