Jason Momoa is 'Conan the Barbarian'
I just read this over at Sci Fi Wire. Apparently the reports are based on a report by Latino Review, though, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I'm not sure what I think of this possible casting, though. It could work, personally though, I'd have looked for a bigger name for such a big franchise.
Jared Padalecki, another candidate, looks a bit like the young Conan. But from the neck down, he's way too small. It'd take forever to bulk him up to even modest Cimmerian standards.

Trying not to bash Momoa, he looks completely WRONG for the role. Conan requires a very specific physical type.

Arnold got picked because he WAS a Germanic muscleman to begin with. A bit of sword training and dialogue coaching and BOOM! That's as close as anybody was ever gonna get to iconic wandering barbarian.
I don't think Jason looks wrong for the role. In fact, his silent act on Stargate: Atlantis does somewhat resemble the broodiness that Howard's heroes often depict.

I'll be interested to see how this turns out.
I initially thought that Kevin Sorbo was wrong for "Hercules". But I really enjoyed the show and Sorbo turned out to have some real chops, carrying off some great scenes.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
EDSEL_PK Wrote:Jared Padalecki, another candidate, looks a bit like the young Conan. But from the neck down, he's way too small. It'd take forever to bulk him up to even modest Cimmerian standards.

Oh I don't know about that . . . some of those Supernatural episodes, he seems pretty buff. :thud:
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
Luthien_001 Wrote:Oh I don't know about that . . . some of those Supernatural episodes, he seems pretty buff. :thud:

Ahh, and don't forget Jake Gyllenhall's bulking up for The Prince of Persia movie coming up. Or whats-his-name that plays Jacob in New Moon (although I still haven't seen it). Bulking up (or down) is a long-standing tradition in Hollywood. Christian Bale lost tons of weight for The Machinist (he was practically skeletal) then gained tons of muscly bulk for Batman Begins.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
OK. I'll give Momoa a fair shake. Rolf Moeller (sp?) wasn't exactly Lawrence Olivier when he played Conan in his short-lived series. But if they're gonna reboot, then what will they do to make him look Cimmerian, given his dad is Mickey Rourke? Momoa looks like a supersized Mongol.
Um, actually, I think Momoa has a much more Howardesque appearance than Moeller. Tall, dark, gloomy. He'll have to shave for part, as I don't believe Conan has a beard.
I'm not obsessed with how built up he has to be. If you've ever watched those worlds strongest men things, those guys seldom look like body builders, they're just really big and powerful. So I'm not worried about them casting a person just based on body look.

But I'm not convinced that Momoa is the best guy for the role, by a long shot, and for many reasons. Most importantly, can he really inhabit the role? A former male model....I dunno. I'd say it's more than being just strong and silent, but then again who knows what kind of film we're going to get, here. They may intend to make a film that doesn't require much in the way of acting.

In spite of the fact that they claimed at the outset that they wanted to do a film that was closer to the source material than the Arnold ones, I'll believe it when I see it. On the other hand, it wouldn't be very hard, since I don't think the Arnold movies got the character or the world down in any way at all.
Well, to be fair, Ah-nold wasn’t exactly known for his acting ability when he took on Conan the Barbarian. Heck, he still isn’t known for his acting abilities. He’s physically big on screen and certainly has a presence, but a lot of that is built on his impressive musculature. Acting was always secondary for his initial roles, and became slightly more important the older he got. I grant out the guy was smart about everything he was doing, and he had a path and a plan that was carefully structured. He also had a good head for business that he used to further his career first as a body-builder, then as an award-winning body builder turned gym owner, and then later as a body-builder/gym owner who became an action movie star.

But from what I’ve seen of Momoa he is closer in looks than Arnold to what Howard described the Cimmarian warrior.

Well, John Milius wasn't trying to be faithful to the source material with the original Conan movies. I'm not sure anyone would be.

I loved the first "Conan" film but it totally incensed hard core Robert E. Howard fans because the literary Conan was never a slave (and for other reasons).
I'm not sure whether Conan was ever enslaved. It's logical that his people -- all but extinct in his time -- would've suffered slavery at the hands of their conquerors. And, too, it would explain his burning hatred of slavers.

I'll have to research it more thoroughly. Having read many Conan books, I don't recall any references to his childhood, nor whether he was ever forced into slavery.

In Schwarzeneggar's film, slavery made an excellent plot device.
I don't believe the Cimmerians were "all but extinct" in the stories. Conan just became a wanderer. I agree that slavery worked in the film but it really wasn't a faithful depiction of Howard's Conan.
Michael Wrote:I don't believe the Cimmerians were "all but extinct" in the stories. Conan just became a wanderer. I agree that slavery worked in the film but it really wasn't a faithful depiction of Howard's Conan.

Correct, the Cimmerians were connected with the historical Cimmerians who inhabited the Northern areas of the Black Sea region. They were not intended to be few in number of nearly extinct.

RobRoy Wrote:Correct, the Cimmerians were connected with the historical Cimmerians who inhabited the Northern areas of the Black Sea region. They were not intended to be few in number of nearly extinct.

The implication from the stories I've read is that the rest of the Cimmerians just don't get around as much as Conan did.
I may be confusing 'Conan' with another franchise. But I recall Cimmerians as being a rarity in Conan's travels. There were a couple stories in which I recall the appearance of another Cimmerian was a notable event.

On the Cimmerian thing, didn't they live way to the north, and most of the stories recount Conan's adventures long after he left them to go out on his own? I'm pretty sure there is a reference to his first major battle as a teenager as being part of a "horde" of Cimmerians who came over some wall and conquered some distant northern outpost of whatever the civilized people were... Aquilonians I guess? i.e. basically the Howard-ized version of Vikings or Geats or Frisians taking over a Norman or French town....

And in casting news, Rachel Nichols is going to play the female lead Tamara.

She's 30, 5/10", a native of Maine, the uber-voluptuous Orion cadet from Star Trek, and had recurring roles on Alias and The Inside

The original character description was:

Quote:18 to 24 years old, Caucasian or Middle Eastern, open to all ethnicities; beautiful, studious, correct, a novitiate of a Greek influenced monastery. A master of martial arts, she has been trained to be the Queen's servant, bodyguard and best friend. She and many other female bodyguards to the queen have been in hiding most of their lives because of the curse of Acheron, which would take the queen's life to bring almost immortal power to its king.....

"We are but 6-score young female bodyguards between the ages of 18 and 24, with nothing to do all day in this castle but dress...undress...bathe..." :jester:

And of course she was the uber-voluptuous Orion Starfleet cadet in the Trek movie.

Rachel in green make-up:

[Image: startrek_2.jpg]

Rachel as herself:

[Image: rachel-nichols-2006-mtv-movie-awards-arr...0fdsy2.jpg]
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
The more I hear about this movie, the more I'm starting to dislike it. I don't like Momoa for the role, I don't think he fits Howard's descriptions of the character, and I don't think he's got the star power to carry a film this big. It sounds like we're getting an origin story, too, which I'm sick of. I guess it's time for me to shut off my natural fanboy inclinations and simply wait for the movie itself.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jason Momoa to star in "Minecraft" Michael 0 87 May 9th, 2022, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: The "Dagoth" theme from "Conan the Destroyer" Michael 2 782 July 18th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Agaricus
  Jason Momoa answers fan questions about "Conan the Barbarian" Michael 0 448 July 16th, 2011, 10:54 PM
  Trailer for "Conan the Barbarian" film starring Jason Momoa Michael 1 509 July 16th, 2011, 10:49 PM
  Conan the barbarian and the girl with the dragon tatoo badlands 1 592 March 21st, 2011, 02:32 AM
  Shockya blog publishes set pictures from "Conan" movie Michael 10 793 July 2nd, 2010, 10:15 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Jason question Nimruzir 12 851 March 22nd, 2004, 09:03 PM
Last Post: ThePharoah
  Freddy vs Jason vs Ash? Mirage 19 1,856 October 15th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Mirage
  freddy vs. jason skabam 3 2,294 September 10th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Last Post: PulpClub182
  Freddy VS Jason, who will win? Ghost 16 1,185 August 24th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Boomstick