Potter fad is dying out
The books are no longer popular after the last one. I blame the author who decide to make Dumbledore have alternative lifestyle.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
It's possible that the newer generation of fans opted to see the movies INSTEAD of reading the books. After all, book are sooooo boring , right?
Umm, the last one was the LAST one, badlands. THE TALES OF BEADLE THE BARD actually did quite well, too. But since there are no more stories in the 7 book series to purchase after you have bought the seventh, well, .............you expected what?

However, the response to the movies has been quite strong - if you need an economic indicator of sales. And I'm willing to bet HP&THBP movie sales will be good.
inked
"Aslan is not a tame lion. Safe?
No, he's not safe, but he's good."
CSL/LWW
Still, Pottermania has probably peaked. I liked the last book and look forward to the final two movies.

It would be interesting, though, if JKR authorized a background movie or two. There is certainly plenty of history in Harry Potter's world that could be mined for interesting stories, starting with the founding of Hogwarts itself.
:lol: Yep, everything reaches a peak of popularity at some point, then begins to decline. So for obvious reasons, people aren't buying books that have been around for a decade or more as much as when they were buying new books.

In other news, people aren't rebelling against England nearly as much as they did before we got independence. Wink
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
badlands Wrote:The books are no longer popular after the last one. I blame the author who decide to make Dumbledore have alternative lifestyle.

Aside from what everyone else has said, the issue of Dumbledore's lifestyle was an after-series revelation. Rowling didn't state it within the books. From the continued success of the movies, as well as the anticipation for the final films, it seems quite clear that Dumbledore outing had little to no impact at all.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Yep, you had to actually read the article about Dumbledore's lifestyle to be aware of it. I had completely forgotten it until just now, and I read the paper and watch national news every day. I suspect more than 99% of the readership never heard of/saw/read that article.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Did anyone care much about Dumbledore's outing? A few concerned parent groups perhaps but I doubt the fanbase was that bothered. If HP has dipped in popularity it's more likely because a)the books are finished and b)Twilight is replacing it as the big fantasy aimed at teenagers.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
Of course, Twilight is over too, the books anway. And yep, I doubt much of the fanbase was that concerned, since I doubt that many of them ever read the article about Dumbledore's outing anyway. Hundreds of thousands may have... but the other 95% didn't.
Zagor Wrote:Did anyone care much about Dumbledore's outing? A few concerned parent groups perhaps but I doubt the fanbase was that bothered. If HP has dipped in popularity it's more likely because a)the books are finished and b)Twilight is replacing it as the big fantasy aimed at teenagers.

I seem to recall the outcry being limited at best, and mostly limited to slight shrugs of the shoulders. Fans seemed to just take the whole thing in stride. Given the success of Rowling's supplemental release, it appears to be more of a hiccup, if it was anything. The rest of us just nodded sagely.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I wonder about the basis for the statement that the books are no longer popular? Is it the sales of the books? Or was a poll taken of how many people are reading them? Well actually, both figures might decline over time unless new readers take up the slack, which they might. Certain classics, for example, continue to be purchased and read. So one wonders if HP will be found to be a classic or it it's day had come and gone?
No I think it was just a personal speculation by a poster, not reflective of any redership surveys or publishing figures.
Arcadia Wrote:I wonder about the basis for the statement that the books are no longer popular? Is it the sales of the books? Or was a poll taken of how many people are reading them? Well actually, both figures might decline over time unless new readers take up the slack, which they might. Certain classics, for example, continue to be purchased and read. So one wonders if HP will be found to be a classic or it it's day had come and gone?

I still find the books re-readable, if that's any consideration. In contrast, I could only make one run at the Twilight series, and I'm forever grateful that we only borrowed those books and not bought them. They were light popcorn, summer fluff. I don't regret reading them, as they certainly passed the time when I was still commuting via train for 3.5 hours every day.

Now, I'm not the bar by which any literature should be measured as classic or not, but I've certainly heard the same from other folk that I considered respected readers. If sales drop, that's hardly surprising. There is a saturation point, just as there is for any classic work. If the series had ended, and we'd never heard another peep, and never had a thought to re-read the books, I'd say Rowling was just a fad. But so far, so good.

Except for the last book, I enjoy re-reading them, too. I even bought the series of audio books so I can work on the computer or drive and still listen. Smile
Arcadia Wrote:Except for the last book, I enjoy re-reading them, too. I even bought the series of audio books so I can work on the computer or drive and still listen. Smile

What was your issue with the last book? The long, boring, wet, winter camping expedition? :thud:

I just reread the 7th Harry Potter book. I didn't think the camping interlude was very long or boring at all. Certainly nothing like Frodo and Sam making their way through Mordor. Man, was THAT section ever tedious.
Yeah mainly the long and boring (IMHO) camping part. Also the tip of a hat to an ending, even though I've seen it before in books as a way to close off the story after the main story is over, still it was non-satisfying. I also didn't like so many of the characters that I'd grown fond of being killed. The writing also didn't seem up to what I'd expected.

I think it's "concluding," rather than "dying out." While the books and movies will be around for others to discover, the core audience that grew up with them and really drove the phenomenon is, just like the actors in the films, grown up and moving on to the next phase in their lives.
How much of an "on-screen" bloodbath do you really need in a huge book, though? I think she had established the fact that the Death Eaters kill people pretty well enough that a few "and so-and-so died" mentions were acceptable.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harry Potter vs Encanto badlands 3 125 March 2nd, 2022, 01:06 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Harry Potter exhibit badlands 0 75 February 20th, 2022, 09:43 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Slavery in Harry Potter badlands 1 129 February 7th, 2022, 09:33 PM
  Is Harry Potter really Moaning Myrtle? badlands 3 129 February 6th, 2022, 04:12 AM
  Harry Potter game badlands 2 777 March 14th, 2021, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Harry Potter bar badlands 3 473 February 5th, 2021, 03:59 PM
  HBO Harry Potter reboot badlands 1 373 January 31st, 2021, 12:24 PM
  Harry Potter theories badlands 10 1,104 November 5th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: august
  Did Harry Potter die? badlands 3 560 November 5th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Last Post: august
  The Hillywood Show Harry Potter parody (video) Michael 4 830 September 17th, 2018, 05:33 PM