Researchers envision fleets of robots exploring other planets
It'll be great... if they can be launched that is? There appears to be a squabble in NASA about what rockets to use in the future.

Well, I hope if the probes are ready but they continue to bicker about launchers, they'll ship the robots to Europe and just use Ariane to send them up...
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
Michael Wrote:This idea has always appealed to me. It was first suggested decades ago in science fiction (in fact, a very famous movie from the 1960s called "The Time Travelers" suggests that robotic fleets would explore the solar system).

It seems inevitable, really. As robotics improve, it's hard to make an argument to go through all the incredible hassle of sending a human to do exploration work.

The fruits of unmanned expeditions have recently become apparent with the announcement of the discovery of water on the moon a few weeks back. In spite of the fact that having real astronauts is much more "interesting," if you will, it hasn't become any more practical. And with changing economies, will the near future find people wanting to support multi billion dollar manned space operations? While any space program is expensive, it seems like it should be much cheaper to send a super-intelligent & versatile toaster to Mars rather than a human. :bg:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: "How Would You Envision a Space Colony?" Michael 0 448 August 26th, 2020, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: Exploring the Eden Project, an indoor rainforest Michael 0 420 April 26th, 2020, 08:59 PM
  Planets, Planetoids, and Planetismals Space Marshal 4 1,079 July 22nd, 2015, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Space Marshal
  Pictures of Planets from Other Suns Michael 4 752 January 20th, 2014, 08:37 PM
  Researchers say that hiking restores creativity Michael 0 496 December 13th, 2012, 05:03 AM
  Requirements for Earth-like life on other planets Michael 0 3,332 April 9th, 2012, 01:53 AM
  Video: Google Hangout discussion about discovery of Earth-sized rocky planets Michael 0 626 December 21st, 2011, 12:31 AM
  14 students unleash the power of LEGO robots at ROBO storm camp Michael 0 630 July 17th, 2011, 09:53 PM
  Researchers map now submerged lost landscape from prehistoric northern Europe Michael 0 649 July 11th, 2011, 08:55 PM
  Scientists develop technology to nullify starlight in search for planets Michael 2 662 June 30th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol