Twilight: New Moon $72.7 Million on Friday in North America
No signs of Twilight slowing down--just the opposite, in fact. Upon the film's release Friday, it took in a staggering 72.7 million dollars in the USA and Canada.

This powerhouse performance smashed the previous opening day record, held by the Batman film The Dark Knight, which made 62.2 million on it's opening day.

Apparently they're not projecting it to beat the all time opening weekend figures just yet, but they still expect it make somewhere around the $120 million mark. Still, you've got to wonder if they're just trying to contain their enthusiasm, because after that kind of opening, you've got to figure it's going to have a monster Saturday, too.

Amazing.

Source: ABC News.
SciFi Wire now has the 3-day total (or 3.25 days, I guess :laugh: ) at $140.7 million, which is the biggest opening of the entire year, the 3rd best weekend opening ever (after Spidey 3 at $151.1 million and Dark Knight at $158 million) and the best opening day and best midnight opening ever (surpassing Dark Knight.)

Interestingly:

Quote:80 percent of the audience were female and 50 percent were under 21 years old, which means the sequel skewed more female and younger than the first Twilight.

This means that 20 percent were males, and that half of them were over 21. Who are you guys?
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Not surprised about the demographics. I'd say that doesn't bode well for the franchise long term. Once all these teenage girls grow up and lose interest in Twilight, if it hasn't caught on with the next crop of young girls, there's going to be no one to sell it to.
Boomstick Wrote:Not surprised about the demographics. I'd say that doesn't bode well for the franchise long term. Once all these teenage girls grow up and lose interest in Twilight, if it hasn't caught on with the next crop of young girls, there's going to be no one to sell it to.

Probably why they had them coming out so quickly. Eclipse is less than 8 months away. And from a few "substantial rumours" I've read, they're hoping to get Breaking Dawn filmed next year.

I think the true test is to see how quickly it dies down over the next couple of weeks. The last movie was ridiculously popular over here in NZ considering the Twilight phenomenon isn't very big here. It was still going well in theaters right until they stopped playing it which was around the time of the U.S DVD release. Those girls just kept coming back.
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
Yep, see there's just 4 books in this series, and I gather that the author doesn't plan on writing any more. I think they are VERY aware that they need to strike while the iron is hot, which is why they rushed the other films into production. Plus I bet they predicted that Kristen, Rob and possibly now Taylor are likely to take off career-wise (esp. since all were successful as kids, and have grown up to be as attractive and talented as their potential sugggested) and therefore might not be eager to stick around for more than a few years.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking forward to "Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part II" Michael 0 691 November 1st, 2012, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Twilight: Breaking Dawn, Part 1 - My Take Michael 1 1,056 December 22nd, 2011, 02:57 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Video: New trailers for "Twilight: Breaking Dawn, Part 1" Michael 0 796 September 14th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Baby names based on the Twilight series badlands 3 967 August 11th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  'Vampires Suck' - a Twilight spoof movie Luthien_001 2 1,404 August 9th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Last Post: august
  Eclipse sets new record for midnight openings w/ $30 million, Wed. openings w/ 68.5! august 8 1,496 July 2nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
  Sneak Peak at Twilight: Eclipse Michael 4 866 June 11th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Luthien_001
  Twilight Mums onwe 0 576 May 6th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Last Post: onwe
  "The short second life of Bree Tanner" - new Twilight novella Luthien_001 1 811 March 31st, 2010, 09:41 AM
  Twilight Eclipse Rough Cut Complete; Still no trailer Luthien_001 2 839 February 15th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Last Post: Luthien_001