V: Anyone watching? What do you think?
Well, is anyone watching the new V series? I missed the most recent ep and a lot of the premiere, but I like it. Sure it`s familiar ground, but with the complex layers of characters and backstabbing and who do you trust, I`m liking what I`ve seen so far.
Hope, D`Argo.... I have HOPE. John

Too many stories are nothing more than connected vignettes of codified symbols used to tell the audience where the plot currently stands like some sort of checklist Mirage
Sorry. Haven't made time for it. I mostly watched the first version because of one actress when I was younger. Shouldn't admit that, perhaps, although I always enjoyed Michael Ironside's acting (for entirely different reasons).
I liked the original, and this seems like a slicker, more streamlined verison of the show I watched in my misspent youth. The characters do seem deeper, as do the story arcs. The new 'V's do seem less potent and more conniving than the originals.

I'll need to see more eps to develop a more thorough assessment.
UM#333 Kea - Keeper of the sayings:

"You must have been the smartest one in your village."

"Houston, we have a problem!"
"Who's Houston?"
I just saw the first episode. Seems interesting enough; I've never seen the original series to compare though.

Stupidest television moment ever though: the ships are coming in and it causes "earthquakes" - why does that lady try to stop her bookcase from falling over? :roll: :roll: :roll:

I was also amused by the familiar faces of the actors/actresses: firefly, the 4400, lost etc . . .
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
Indeed, it seems they went through the IMDB,and then listed all the SF/Fantasy actors they could find, especially the attractive ones, and then rounded them up for the show.

The actress who played Tory ftom BSG was there, and I think the actor who played Wood from Buffy was there, also.
I was EXACTLY like you guys. I watched the first night, and kept surfing away during the commercials. Morena Baccarin (aka "the one from Firefly") really is quite stunning, and extra kudos to her for learning how to do random lines of dialogue in various foreign languages. And Elizabeth Mitchell (from Lost, and ...errr.. The Santa Clause) makes a fine mom-as-action-hero. The guy from 4400 (the priest in this show) was good too.... but there was something that just seemed awfully by-the-numbers about this.

Second week I watched 5-10 minutes...then surfed over to a rerun of Bones. Have there just been 2 eps so far?

Great idea to incorporate post-9/11 paranoia into this... I just think the idea could have been done much better. Maybe as a miniseries.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !

"Who's Houston?"
I considered watching it, but never have. Talk about it was intriguing, and the commercials looked interesting enough.
Recognized the girl who played Kara on Smallville.
[COLOR="Teal"]We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love.
It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love as a changed person. [/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]-W. Somerset Maugham[/SIZE]
If it's got many sci-fi familiar faces I'm assuming it's filmed in Vancouver, then?

Didn't watch it, and still haven't watched the original "V", either.
Kea Wrote:LOL There were ‘random lines of dialogue in various foreign languages?’ Really…Hmmmm so this is what happens when I fast forward. LOL!!! How accurate were they

Sounded pretty accurate, but I don't speak Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, etc. :bg: When Morena Baccarin addresses the people of the earth from the big flat-screen video-thingies on the bottom of the Visitors' ships worldwide, each country hears her in their own language.

EDSEL_PK Wrote:I think the actor who played Wood from Buffy was there, also.

Actually,those are two lookalikes.

D.B. Woodside was Principal Wood, while Morris Chestnut is on this show. Both are the same age, 40, but Woodside is taller.

V got decent premiere numbers - 13.9 million viewers - but that dropped by 29% in just a week down to 10.6 million, and then dropped another 18% in week 3, down to 9.3 million.

And yep, it's filmed in Vancouver.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Quote: Indeed, it seems they went through the IMDB, and then listed all the SF/Fantasy actors they could find, especially the attractive ones, and then rounded them up for the show.-EDSEL PK
Yup

Quote: Recognized the girl who played Kara on Smallville.
-Doncorie
Yeah I had actually started watching Smallville because they had added super girl…the next thing I know she was…well gone. Oh well.

"Who's Houston?"
Luthien_001 Wrote:Stupidest television moment ever though: the ships are coming in and it causes "earthquakes" - why does that lady try to stop her bookcase from falling over? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Not at all stupid. I live near Camp Pendelton, and my building is in the direct flight path of the choppers. When those choppers fly over, they do a good job of rattling the windows, and if there's enough of them, knickknacks will even rattle too. Now, one of those Motherships has to be about 1000 times larger than a military chopper, at least. So yeah, I can see people leaping up to keep things from falling over as they came in.

Interesting that so many of you have seen the first ep, but not the others? I actually missed the first ep, caught the next three and then missed last night's ep. They do a pretty good job of keep the pace moving, and it's not as excessively corny as the original (speaking from an extremely fuzzy memory here as I was probably about 7 or so when it aired). Still, I don't think it's something I'm going to go out of my way for when it comes back in January. Basically the only reason I bothered with it at all is because there's nothing else that I'm watching in that time slot.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
GamgeeFest Wrote:Not at all stupid. I live near Camp Pendelton, and my building is in the direct flight path of the choppers. When those choppers fly over, they do a good job of rattling the windows, and if there's enough of them, knickknacks will even rattle too. Now, one of those Motherships has to be about 1000 times larger than a military chopper, at least. So yeah, I can see people leaping up to keep things from falling over as they came in.

I suppose that makes sense.

NZ culture it's slightly different. Since the whole country is on a fault line, we've been educated to go stand somewhere safe whenever there's shaking etc.

Still . . . in the show the whole bookcase is shaking and threatening to fall. Let the heavy thing fall. It only has books in it. :lol:
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
Luthien_001 Wrote:Still . . . in the show the whole bookcase is shaking and threatening to fall. Let the heavy thing fall. It only has books in it. :lol:

LOL! Very true! It may be a knee jerk reaction to try to keep things from falling, but I think instincts will kick in at a certain point. We're also near a fault line here, and we're told to stand in doorways if possible in earthquakes. Usually doesn't happen though. By the time you get to a doorway, the quake is usually over, so there's really not much point.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
august Wrote:V got decent premiere numbers - 13.9 million viewers - but that dropped by 29% in just a week down to 10.6 million, and then dropped another 18% in week 3, down to 9.3 million.

Interestingly, the numbers leveled out in the 4th week, with 9.2 million viewers (which is not bad at all) and a 3.1 rating (which is fairly low.) If I understand the way a ratings point works (the % of households who are tuned in) that means there are a fair number of households with a bunch of people all watching together.
Hmmmm. Well it will be interesting to see how many people come back for the show when it comes back in…March…I think?!?

"Who's Houston?"
august Wrote:. . . Morena Baccarin (aka "the one from Firefly") really is quite stunning, and extra kudos to her for learning how to do random lines of dialogue in various foreign languages. . .
Thought of this a few days after reading these posts. The Firefly people all had at least a little practice with Chinese since part of the show`s premise was that China had become a superpower and everyone learned it. (No idea if it`s Mandarin or Szechuan or whatever, but I bet the Browncoats know.) Most if not all of them had at least one or two random lines of Chinese.
Hope, D`Argo.... I have HOPE. John

Too many stories are nothing more than connected vignettes of codified symbols used to tell the audience where the plot currently stands like some sort of checklist Mirage
I've recently seen the (first four) episodes that aired so far, and enjoyed them, despite the occasional predictability or cheesiness. The "Bliss" scene with Anna, the head honcho of the Vs, was rather entrancing. So yeah, I'm looking forward to the new episode next week.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  i was watching WE TV katiegirl 2 823 March 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Last Post: katiegirl
  Ditch it or keep watching? celeb-galad 38 3,833 July 4th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Afiriel
  Just finished watching season 2 ]-[ammer 13 1,020 April 13th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Last Post: xeares
  after a lot of watching masterblaster 34 2,282 March 12th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Last Post: dwayne001
  Just started watching SG1 Data_android 23 1,491 October 30th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Navarro Knight
  Hi everyone! just started watching Andromeda Nom1fan 7 894 October 25th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Last Post: gemini0521
  Watching DROM on Sci-Fi Themis 4 620 July 1st, 2004, 01:48 AM
Last Post: Stargazer
  Watching the Show for the First Time Boomstick 64 3,225 December 7th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Last Post: DNash
  Especially for BIO and our male viewers: CMS Essential Guide to watching Phantoms CMS 21 1,521 December 5th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Ashley
  Anyone been watching Tarzan? stdwynwen 31 1,396 November 24th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Last Post: Elf