2012 - The Reviews are In
Quote: "2012" is insane. There's no other way to put it. There are more deaths, explosions and collapsing buildings in one destruction-laden set piece than in a decade's worth of Hollywood disaster movies. Either you give in to the apocalyptic lunacy, or you spend the film's nearly three-hour running time shaking your head and wondering, "Why?"

But if you don't get it, you probably shouldn't have stepped into the theater, as most critics seem to understand, none more so than Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times. " '2012' delivers what it promises, and since no sentient being will buy a ticket expecting anything else, it will be, for its audiences, one of the most satisfactory films of the year," he wrote. "It even has real actors in it. Like all the best disaster movies, it's funniest at its most hysterical. You think you've seen end-of-the-world movies? This one ends the world, stomps on it, grinds it up and spits it out."

Full article here

I saw this movie a couple of days ago. I don't really rate it to be honest. Story was very predictable. And basically I thought it was copying a whole bunch of scenes from other movies and sticking them all together: Armageddon, Deep Impact, The Day after Tomorrow, Volcanoe, Titanic Rolleyes, Independence Day to name a few . . .(and I know the director did some of those films too)

The SFX were awesome though.

I suppose if you like big action then you'll enjoy this film.
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
Wow.

Quote:The world may live to see 2013, after all.
The apocalyptic-minded 2012 started off with a $65 million box-office bang, per estimates, beating projections and the weekend competition . . .

2012's $65 million weekend isn't even half of what made its debut so huge. Overseas, the disaster epic made like Michael Jackson, and grossed $160 million—the fifth-biggest international opening ever. Add 'em together, and the $200 million behemoth has already covered its budget, and then some.

Full Article here

It packed out in my cinema all weekend; the opening Thursday was ridiculous, busy all day and sold out in the evening. Crazy! Confusedhades:
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
Sounds pretty typical of Roland Emmerich's films. IIRC, he did this one. Funny that Ebert has finally come around and not been too negative. As I recall he was fairly critical of Stargate, Independence Day, and Godzilla. :laugh:
I saw the movie and I loved it. It is totally a Roland Emmerich movie. It really doesn't make any sense from a logical point of view but his movies tend to take the position that "in this story the world works THIS way so let's get on with telling the story".

And that is fine with me.

Lots of special effects.

John Cusack does a great job of playing a character who is constantly trying to catch up with what is going on. Of course, I've always enjoyed Cusack.

I saw lots of familiar faces in the movie, including Dr. Flox from Enterprise. Danny Glover was fantastic as the President. Thandie Newton did a good job with the few scenes they handed her.
I saw it yesterday,it looks aweful to me.worth seeing!
I was able to see this last week. I agree with Luthien...the movie was basically Independence Day with mother nature in place of aliens. Also, the first half hour of effects did not look as good as I would expect for a special effects movie.

But don't get me wrong...I did enjoy myself, and never thought the end of the world could be so much fun. You just had to accept that it was over the top and enjoy the ride. I also liked that some of the real scientific issues were used ( i.e. the super volcano, huge sun spots, etc.)

If not seen on a big screen, however, there's probably no reason to run out and buy or rent it once it comes out. It was fun while it lasted, though ! :balloons:
" It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
I have to confess my dalliance with dark powers.
I dl'd the cam of 2012 the day after it came out.
really crap quality but hey...free no?

Agree with dasher
"never thought the end of the world could be so much fun"

The science of course is totally not present.
Neutrinos simply cannot effect mater to the degree the movie wishes
But hey the movie is tounge in cheek anyway . just look at all the gags
love 'the finger'
And " lift you pretty *** for sacha" had me on the floor.

One hell of a ride with spectacular events .. oh no LA is gone..sniker

Total entertainment just turn of the brain in sit back
What i did appreciate is the concept we can save our own *****.
Unlike the knowing which despite fantastic music and atmosphere
depicts us as idiots that need to be saved by benevolent aliens.
Cage again plays a dolt that has to be walked through the obvious so the no brainer public can keep up. Harsh?
No, I could see the pattern in the missing number sequences from the get go.. had to be long/lat. what else COULD they be.
And he is a MIT prof? LOL. my ****. The determinism angle is stilted and dumbded down to nothing. But it has to be no?
How many walked out of Matrix and DejaVu and Next scratching heads and asking..What? And thats simple stuff.
Try truncated acausal time loops in T2-TSCC
Time , reflexes like a **** as bowie might say.

I loved it. But the world will end several billion years from now.
[well be blasted clean] when sol swells like a greek fishwife and swallows venus...Sad.
I have been inquiring on physics forums what will come first 'tidal locking' [one face world] or red giant..
I am told red giant.
[tho we could get pasted by a rock...who knows.. lets watch deep impact, again]

Louis
Michael Wrote:Danny Glover was fantastic as the President.

Micheal
Yes I was glad to see him in a role he played to perfection. I hated his part in shooter.. It just did'nt work for me.
Ever since predator 2 i thought his career was on a slide
The he pops up here as the pres.. And does it so well you believe he is a president.. thats acting.
Just goes to show.
The triage of him and his daughter[ she is great i chronicles of riddick] and Chiwetel Ejiofor in a moral struggle and an emotional farewell is excellent
Yes there are a lot of critics out there that will say im simple and dont know movies.
"There is something in my eye" is my reply .
Delivered so well by Val Kilmer in spartan.

The huge special effects are really secondary to the story of Dr Helmsley
His moral and ethic stance is to be aplauded in an age of SAW 4 and gratuitous stupidity
Much like constantine. this is a story of one mans search for a path and right action.
And as such few will even notice/
most will go home and as carlin said 'pick up a nachos with cheese dip salsa and butter' then pile in the oversized suv

What sticks in my head is the John C Stennis rolling over the white house
Such irony

Good post Micheal

PS And a few short comment.
Boomstick.. My god thats a laugh.. I was BoomStick and my nephew was LongRiffle when we played CounterStrike-Source online.
We tandemed and to put it in the ridiculous terminology of today's youth.. 'pawned'
No0ne believed i was his uncle and over 40. Just a big kid am i. But only because i can afford to be. I dont play 'shooters' anymore.. they are just silly.
T
I'm in general agreement here. I mostly went for John Cusack, a little less so for Amanda Peet, and then there was the end of the world, which is what my wife went for. It's always a fascinating concept and everyone likes to see what might happen.

Typical, but fun, these kinds of movies need to be seen on the big screen. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wasn't forewarned, and there were some disappointing (red shirt) choices that I thought were unnecessary. (We get it, the situation is dire and anyone could die at any time!) But all in all, it held up pretty well as an action-apocalyptic genre film.

Oh, and Cusack was awesome with an extra side of awesome!
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:I'm in general agreement here. I mostly went for John Cusack, a little less so for Amanda Peet, and then there was the end of the world, which is what my wife went for. It's always a fascinating concept and everyone likes to see what might happen.

Typical, but fun, these kinds of movies need to be seen on the big screen. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wasn't forewarned, and there were some disappointing (red shirt) choices that I thought were unnecessary. (We get it, the situation is dire and anyone could die at any time!) But all in all, it held up pretty well as an action-apocalyptic genre film.

Oh, and Cusack was awesome with an extra side of awesome!

Rob loved him in Point blank and Ice harvest..
Where he looks in babes eyes in Point blank is well. You know. No more battery powered monkey. Smile

Louis
Luweewu Wrote:Rob loved him in Point blank and Ice harvest..
Where he looks in babes eyes in Point blank is well. You know. No more battery powered monkey. Smile

Yes, Cusack has long been a favorite and Grosse Point Blank certainly shows off his long-history of dry, dark comedic abilities. Ice Harvest was a harder, darker noir film with almost no humor. Certainly not one of my favorites starring him.

I'm afraid that I don't get the "battery powered monkey" reference though. Sorry.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:I'm afraid that I don't get the "battery powered monkey" reference though. Sorry.

Rob

When he's talking with psychologist about his dreams [ Allen Arkin]
And says he feels like the duracel
RABBIT.. sorry not monkey.. my bad.

Yeah and movies without humour,,, nyeehh
Even Priv Ryan has humour

Louis

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Real Navy Seal reviews military movies Michael 0 522 February 18th, 2020, 01:54 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: Former mob boss reviews mob movies Michael 0 569 February 18th, 2020, 01:52 AM
  The Mummy reviews? badlands 19 1,071 September 16th, 2018, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Boomstick
  MovieTickets' Box Office Top 10 for May 7, 2012 Michael 0 736 May 11th, 2012, 08:40 PM
  MovieTickets' Box Office Top 10 for April 23, 2012 Michael 0 764 April 25th, 2012, 11:39 AM
  2012 Oscar Nominations - Hollywood chooses to treat Harry Potter badly FilmGuy 14 2,335 April 21st, 2012, 03:10 PM
  MovieTickets' Box Office Top 10 for April 9, 2012 Michael 0 733 April 14th, 2012, 03:44 PM
  MovieTickets' Box Office Top 10 for March 12, 2012 Michael 0 674 March 15th, 2012, 09:54 AM
  MovieTickets' Box Office Top 10 for March 4, 2012 Michael 0 741 March 11th, 2012, 05:10 AM
  MovieTickets' Box Office Top 10 for February 26, 2012 Michael 0 560 March 5th, 2012, 02:05 PM