New 'Men In Black 3' rumors
Columbia Pictures (owned by Sony), has hired Etan Cohen (Idiocracy, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, Tropic Thunder) to write a script for Men in Black III. It's also been reported that they've got Barry Sonnenfeld, who directed the first two films, lined up to be involved in some form.

Variety speculates that it's unlikely that Sony will greenlight the project if they're unable to again secure the services of Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones. While that seems obvious enough, it might be a tad presumptuous, unless the studio is planning to throw several hundred million dollars at the project. While that's the going rate for any summer sfx film these days, I'd think it a risky move after the mediocre, if still financially successful, second film.

The first film's budget was around $90 million, with a worldwide box office take of $589,390,539. The second was budgeted/estimated around $140 million, although I can recall reading that the final figure was closer to the $200 million mark. It ended up taking in $441,818,803 worldwide. I also seem to recall that Smith and Jones had worked a cut of the box office take into their salary; if that's the case that would have taken some out of the studio's final profit.

The first film ranks as one of my all time favorites, one of those movies I enjoy each and every time I see it. In comparison the second was a disappointment. I want to love it, but it's just not very good.

The film franchise is based on the comic book series of the same name by Lowell Cunningham. The series was published by various independent publishers until the rights eventually landed at Marvel when they acquired the various properties and holdings of Malibu Comics. I'm not sure where that stands today, as far as I know Marvel hasn't produced a Men in Black comic book since the first film came out.
I guess every studio is trying to milk its franchises for whatever they are worth in this economy.
Showbiz 411 claims that director Barry Sonnenfeld is on board for the third MIB installment, as are Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.

The article throws around "Men In Black 3D" as a title, which is no surprise, given that every potential blockbuster is going that route. They claim Sony is prepping this as their May 2011 blockbuster, since Spider-Man 4 fell through.

We'll see how this pans out. The pieces fit, but until I see some studio confirmation I'm a little doubtful. Until this article, it seemed more likely that there would be a new director and stars attached. While I'd rather see Smith and Jones back, I was kind of hoping for a new director. Sonnefeld seems to have fallen flat lately, and MIB II wasn't very good.
I wonder if they'll try to get Rip Torn into the cast. I've always enjoyed his work, although I don't watch "30 Rock" (just not that much into TV). "We're not running an intergalactic kegger, here."
Michael Wrote:I wonder if they'll try to get Rip Torn into the cast. I've always enjoyed his work, although I don't watch "30 Rock" (just not that much into TV). "We're not running an intergalactic kegger, here."

I can't remember what happened to Zed in the second movie. I'd assume he will be back if Sonnenfeld is directing, though.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Absalom Jones- America's first black priest badlands 1 33 November 22nd, 2021, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Creature from the Black Lagoon Skyway Patrolman 0 320 November 8th, 2020, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Skyway Patrolman
  The Yellow rose of Texas -the black temptress badlands 2 293 April 9th, 2018, 11:14 AM
  Video: 1999 SciFi indie film "Lost: The Black Earth" FilmGuy 1 476 July 27th, 2014, 07:37 PM
  RIP Shirley Temple Black FilmGuy 3 4,319 February 25th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  "The Woman in Black" -- My Thoughts Michael 2 1,050 February 12th, 2012, 11:25 PM
  Video: Trailer for "Men in Black 3" Michael 0 424 December 14th, 2011, 03:47 PM
  M. Night Shyamalan's "After Earth" rumors Michael 0 984 October 16th, 2011, 06:08 AM
  Black Hole remake badlands 2 567 July 16th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Last Post: august
  Jemaine Clement negotiating for villain role in "Men in Black 3" Michael 0 435 May 19th, 2010, 11:17 PM