Blog argues that POTC 4 is based on book Disney optioned
I have been so busy I haven't had time to track Pirates of the Caribbean news, but apparently people began speculating on the basis of the title that the fourth movie is based on a book. The citation below is from a blog that says that is indeed the case.

[indent]When Disney announced the title of the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie would be Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, many instantly speculated that it might be based on a same named pirate book written by author Tim Powers in the 80s. Today speaking with the LA Times Powers confirmed that, yep, it is. [/indent]

Read the full post here.

Okay, I guess that rounds out the POTC franchise a little bit.
Actually, it turns out there was a little more information:

[indent]Screenwriter Terry Rosio also chimed in to say:

"We wanted to do a story about Blackbeard and the Fountain of Youth, and Tim Powers wrote a book about Blackbeard and the Fountain of Youth... it just turns out that to do that story you would need that book. It's a brilliant and Tim Powers is an amazing writer - and it's a great title. It allows us to draw material from that universe and his expertise. I don't know if its proper to say [the film is] based on [the book] but there are enough common elements to think that the book had to be optioned to us to reasonably proceed along that story line." [/indent]

Read the full article here (different site from the one given in the message above).

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Pixar and Disney characters need their own show/movies? badlands 2 137 March 30th, 2022, 01:02 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: Trailer for Disney+ documentary, "Marvel's Assembled" Michael 0 122 February 16th, 2022, 04:25 PM
  Disney channel shows badlands 1 263 January 16th, 2022, 06:52 PM
  Should Disney make its own version of the Little Prince badlands 3 340 December 11th, 2021, 05:27 PM
  Disney and Hyperion books badlands 1 438 April 30th, 2021, 10:26 PM
  Disney shows reboots badlands 0 578 March 7th, 2020, 07:03 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Disney plus streaming badlands 0 619 November 15th, 2019, 01:47 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Disney voice actor accused of rape badlands 1 642 May 5th, 2019, 03:09 PM
Last Post: august
  What fairy tales would you like Disney do make? badlands 2 711 April 23rd, 2019, 06:13 PM
  Disney trailers badlands 1 647 February 16th, 2019, 08:20 PM