NW England kids to create Ent heads November 15 in Grizedale Forest
Is that anything like the "faces on trees" craze I see around here?

Funny thing, I'd never heard of that until after GRR Martin wrote "A Game of Thrones" in which trees decorated with faces by the autochthonous druidic Children of the Forest were described.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
I don't know. I just occasionally see really interesting Tolkien-related news stories and try to help spread the word, although I doubt we have many visitors from that part of England even here on SF-Fandom.
Alvin Eriol Wrote:Is that anything like the "faces on trees" craze I see around here?

Funny thing, I'd never heard of that until after GRR Martin wrote "A Game of Thrones" in which trees decorated with faces by the autochthonous druidic Children of the Forest were described.
You mean GRR Martin actually wrote something about somebody who wasn't immediately killed?:roll:
"What song the Sirens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, though puzzling questions are not beyond conjecture." - Sir Thomas Browne, Religio Medici
That's unfair to GRR Martin fans. I am sure that several of his female characters stayed alive long enough to a) spawn more evil, manipulative offspring, and/or b) be just noble enough that we (the reader) find his/her death tragic.

I pointed out (on a different site) how absurd the climate-changes that take place in his story are. I called it "CylinderWorld". He admitted (on a blog interview) that his weather patterns made no sense, and that he was only using them for dramatic effect.

He is a really good writer. But he lost me when I figured out that his writing had no "internal integrity". That is, he was just making it up as he went along. When he wants a dramatic character to show up :poof: they appear. When he needs someone to be strong, or sneaky, he introduces a character (usually with a shady past) who meets that need who just happens to bump into the main character.

And there is no "main character" because he keeps bumping them off (again this opinion is based upon an interview of the author that I read quite some time ago) because he is loosely basing his stories upon the English Civil War.

I had a lot of hope for this author, but once he had played out the "winter is coming" premise, he became boring. Someone should tell him that no one finds the idea of the English Civil War going on forever interesting except him.
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion
That's unfair to GRR Martin fans. I am sure that several of his female characters stayed alive long enough to a) spawn more evil, manipulative offspring, and/or b) be just noble enough that we (the reader) find his/her death tragic.
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion
I thought ASoI&F was inspired by the War of the Roses.
English Civil War? Then which one's Cromwell? I guess Eddard Stark could be Chuck the First, but who's Chuck the Second? Tyrion Lannister, who has some predilections in common & like Chas II has been exiled?
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
Alvin Eriol Wrote:I thought ASoI&F was inspired by the War of the Roses.
English Civil War? Then which one's Cromwell? I guess Eddard Stark could be Chuck the First, but who's Chuck the Second? Tyrion Lannister, who has some predilections in common & like Chas II has been exiled?
I stand corrected; ASoI&F is based on the War of the Roses, not the English Civil war. Dang it! I knew that, and (given my heritage) ought to know the difference. That was just plain sloppy of me. Sorry.

On further reflection, the thing that finally put me off of Martin was his characters. They are all well drawn, and seem invincible, until it is time for them to die (according to his timeline). Then they exhibit a flaw that they have either have never shown before, or was always before a strength. And then they die, sometimes bloodily, sometimes off-stage. I don't mind that there is no "hero", since that not the type of tale that he is telling. But he sets up hero after hero only to tear each of them down, and that gets wearying.
I loathe and despise GRR Martin, and his multitude of fans can just join with Michael Jackson's fans and deal with it. Eric Flint managed to write a series of books about a far more tragic event or series of events, the Thirty Years War, without becoming otiose and redundant .Confusedtorm:
"What song the Sirens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, though puzzling questions are not beyond conjecture." - Sir Thomas Browne, Religio Medici
Attalus, are you saying that Michael Jackson's fans are upset with you? That's a shame. I was thinking briefly about creating a Michael Jackson forum, just in case his estate begins to release previously unreleased recordings....
One day we will get through to your true feelings. For now, I feel that we have made great prog...wait, you said whaaaaat?

Michael, it is not true that Michael Jackson ever met with JRR Tolkien to audition for the part of Frodo. Nor did the Tolkien Estate ever suggest Michael Jackson to Peter Jackson as a condition for selling/leasing the rights for the film. Jackson.

This is just a Jackson urban myth perpetuated by the fact that the name "Jackson" jackson appears frequently in the jackson theory.

Don't fall for [jackson] it.
If some Disney-princess can do it, why not Sauron?
"I'm going to Jackson ...." Hm. Even Johnny Cash knew there was a Jackson connection out there.

Jackson Theorists may well be on to something.
Michael Wrote:Jackson Theorists may well be on to something.
Well, they may well be on something.
Michael Wrote:Attalus, are you saying that Michael Jackson's fans are upset with you? That's a shame. I was thinking briefly about creating a Michael Jackson forum, just in case his estate begins to release previously unreleased recordings....
Well, two of them are, anyway, Michael Wink

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the Rangers make the paths in the Old Forest? Mordomin 4 393 December 3rd, 2019, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Might the cellars that the Mewlips inhabit be the ruins of the old forest roads city? Darnokthemage 2 256 December 3rd, 2019, 09:53 PM
  Heads Up: John Garth interview on the way Michael 0 383 March 13th, 2012, 05:02 AM
  Middle-earth Articles for the Week of November 28 - December 4 Michael 0 261 December 12th, 2011, 12:07 PM
  Middle-earth Articles for the Week of November 21-28, 2011 Michael 0 299 December 12th, 2011, 12:06 PM
  Middle-earth Articles for the Week of November 14-20 Michael 0 377 November 26th, 2011, 05:09 AM
  Middle-earth Articles for the Week of November 7-13 Michael 0 387 November 17th, 2011, 01:19 PM
  Middle-earth Articles for the Week of October 31 – November 6, 2011 Michael 0 329 November 8th, 2011, 08:14 AM
  Boston area children and families to see "The Hobbit" play in November Michael 0 299 August 27th, 2011, 11:16 AM
  It's official: "The Hobbit" will be filmed in England Michael 0 478 October 23rd, 2010, 01:55 PM