Attack on Obama riles Beck's advertisers
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
People advertising on Glenn Beck are shocked to learn he makes inflammatory statements? Hmmmm........

But yeah, that just means that other people will advertise in their place, probably paying the exact same rates....
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
It doesn't seem that Beck is doing badly, and I doubt sponsors of his show expect him to not be opinionated.

As long as we have freedom of speech in the US I don't see reason to chastise a commentator for opining.
Of course, he could say he could have worded his statement differently and then taken Obama for a beer.
[COLOR="Teal"]We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love.
It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love as a changed person. [/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]-W. Somerset Maugham[/SIZE]
Doncoriel Wrote:I doubt sponsors of his show expect him to not be opinionated.

That's what you'd think, but apparently "a total of 33 Fox advertisers, including Wal-Mart Stores Inc., CVS Caremark, Clorox and Sprint" either didn't realize that, or changed their minds. :poke:

Doncoriel Wrote:As long as we have freedom of speech in the US I don't see reason to chastise a commentator for opining.

Yep. But the downside is that we also have freedom of advertising, meaning that anyone can choose not to advertise with someone if they use their freedom of speech. Wink
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
august Wrote:That's what you'd think, but apparently "a total of 33 Fox advertisers, including Wal-Mart Stores Inc., CVS Caremark, Clorox and Sprint" either didn't realize that, or changed their minds. :poke:

directed that their commercials not air on Beck's show, according

I'd go with "changed their minds."
Glenn Beck loses advertisers over strong comments on Obama
Quote:Yep. But the downside is that we also have freedom of advertising, meaning that anyone can choose not to advertise with someone if they use their freedom of speech. Wink
Of course. You can please all of the people...well, never.
I simply question the implication of the last line of the first post that the network should punish the commentator for voicing his opinion, whether we agree or disagree with his opinion.
[COLOR="Teal"]We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love.
It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love as a changed person. [/COLOR]

Yep, and I doubt that they have any desire to chastise him, since he's one of their biggest draws. Smile I think the news is just that for a change, some advertisers are reacting to one person in particular. But that just means that they can advertise on, say, Keith Olberman or Rachel Madow (sp?) or someone who plays to a different demographic.
Who or what is "Colorofchange.org" that its reps can walk into a corporate office and demand that corporation pull advertising on a particular show because the show's host called the incumbent President "racist" and backed up his characterization with arguments based on said President's statements, actions, & associations? Where does this outfit nobody ever heard of until now get so much pull? What exactly would or could "Colorofchange.org" do if refused? :angry: If the NAACP or Jesse Jackson, who are much more established as spokespersons, called for an ad boycott of Beck I would think there'd be more discussion & less immediate compliance.

Does anybody remember the loud whining by pop-media pundits & accusations of corporate cowardice that followed the dropping of the Dixie Chicks from playlists after Natalie Maines popped off in front of a French audience about Pres. Bush? Does anyone remember the Dixie Chicks? Real customers voiced their displeasure, it wasn't some political activist group operating in shadows behind the publics' backs getting corporate decisionmakers to play along.

I wonder what Wal-Mart or Lowe's or CVS might do, if their sales fell & they started getting cards & emails from former customers saying they're going to Target, Kmart, local hardware dealers & lumberyards, Home Depot, Rite-aid, & Walgreens until ads were heard on Beck again? Would real customers have as much clout as some shadowy activist organization? :trio:
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
Alvin Eriol Wrote:Who or what is "Colorofchange.org" ?

Would real customers have as much clout as some shadowy activist organization?

Who knows? I watch Fox News at some point every day, although often just for 5 minutes in the morning while I'm brushing my teeth, and each of the other news channels a little bit too, and had I not seen this here, at a Tolkein/Xena fan site, I'd have never known about it. And I suspect I follow news more than 99% of the population. :poke: So it doesn't seem to have had any significant impact one way or another on anyone.
Alvin Eriol Wrote:Who or what is "Colorofchange.org" . . . [snip]

Color of Change.

Quote:Does anyone remember the Dixie Chicks?

Yeppers. They followed up that controversy with the release of the album Taking the Long Way which debuted at #1 on the Billboard, went twice platinum, and releasted the single Not Ready to Make Nice. The album and the single won Grammys, in addition to three other Grammys that the group took home that year.

It was hard to miss all the fuss for them that year. I'm surprised you did.

Quote:Real customers voiced their displeasure, it wasn't some political activist group operating in shadows behind the publics' backs getting corporate decisionmakers to play along.

I wonder what Wal-Mart or Lowe's or CVS might do, if their sales fell & they started getting cards & emails from former customers saying they're going to Target, Kmart, local hardware dealers & lumberyards, Home Depot, Rite-aid, & Walgreens until ads were heard on Beck again? Would real customers have as much clout as some shadowy activist organization? :trio:

I would think so. Any number of gressroots petitions are created (especially online) every day, and some of them actually act as a catalyst for change.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Wiki history of the Dixie Chicks For the record, not a fan. But I defend their right to speak, as long as I have mine.

Alvin Eriol Wrote:Would real customers have as much clout as some shadowy activist organization?
As long as the people are allowed a voice and a choice they can effect change.

Sure enough, Beck was on the morning Fox News program today, so not only are the advertisers for his program supporting him, so are the ones for the morning program! :jester:
Threatening boycotts when displeased by program content is a favorite tactic of groups such as Focus on the Family and other religious organizations. Apparently this group (colorofchange?) comes from the left side of the political spectrum, so it's by no means confined to the right.

Personally I would prefer to make up my own mind - e.g. I think Glenn Beck is an idiot so I do not watch him. If you tell me I can't watch him I'm going to want to do the opposite. I'm also going to think the person who's deciding what I can and can't look at is a big hypocrite, because they probably also claim to oppose censorship. So obviously this kind of stuff can backfire. Is it a kind of censorship? Isn't it all censorship, since someone is deciding what goes on the air anyway? Doing it for economic reasons has become the American way. How many big media corporations do we have now?
Alvin Eriol Wrote:Does anyone remember the Dixie Chicks?

Well, for starters, the over two million people who bought the 2006 album, and the 2007 grammy award committee.

I find it amusing that they were boycotted for saying they were embarassed to be linked (geographically) to W in 2003.

Five years later, in the Republican Presidential primary, the candidates of his own party were trampling one another to see who could distance themselves furthest from Bush.

If anything, I think that just shows that Ms. Maines was quicker to come to that point of view, before the GOP all jumped on the Dixie Chicks' bandwagon.

Surprised they weren't asked to play the convention.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
And sure enough....Beck is on the cover of Time Magazine this week; had no one complained about him, they might easily have used Limbaugh or O'Reilly as the featured pundit, since the article is about the extreme/uncivil media in general, not just him. Otto's Irresistible Law (which states that however vehemently one complains about something, that much more likely the opposite is to occur) strikes again! :laugh:
RobRoy Wrote:I find it interesting that Fox distanced itself from Beck's statement, but that most advertisers haven't left Fox per se, they've just left Beck's show. That means no loss of revenue for Fox, and so no impetus for Fox to chastise Beck at all.

And sure enough!

Quote: Fox News is believed to make more money than CNN, MSNBC and the evening newscasts of NBC, ABC and CBS combined. The division is on track to achieve $700 million in operating profit this year, according to analyst estimates...

Read the rest at the New York Times.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wordpress Websites Being Used to Attack Other Websites Michael 1 551 January 18th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Last Post: BookBug
  Broadcast advertisers agree to same rates for online streaming for 1st time Michael 3 765 June 7th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Is NASA Worth It? (Update: Obama Admin. Ends Constellation Program) Boomstick 16 1,473 March 2nd, 2010, 03:51 AM
Last Post: Coconut Ent
  Obama's first day: Pay freeze, lobbying rules RobRoy 0 471 January 21st, 2009, 06:27 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Obama to Release Report on Blagojevich Contacts RobRoy 0 480 December 23rd, 2008, 05:55 PM
  Girl, 10, arrested in attack RobRoy 6 723 March 5th, 2007, 03:43 PM
  That's psychological attack CDM 3 522 April 7th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Last Post: moif