Nearly Impossible Trivia time again
It's been a while, so here goes--Andre said once that out of all the characters in her many stories,only one of her characters was consciously based on a real person. Name the character, the book he first appeared in and the real person he was based upon. Later Kind folks---Paul:jester: :bounce: :crown:
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
Paul,

ARE YOU KIDDING ME! (LOL):thud:
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - andre-norton.com
No Kidding. I did say NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE. Hints, Anyone? The exact quote(minus the answer, of course) is:"There is only one character I ever directly based on a historical one and that is________________ who is modeled on _______________________"

To make things interesting, I will send a small prize to anyone who guesses correctly. Later Kind Folks--Paul:hellohands: :wink: :bg: :thumbsup: :viking:
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
Well now I can only give a partial answer. (I Think - anyways)

The Character = Fitzhugh Lyon
First Book = Yankee Privateer
Actual Person = :question: Not a Clue (LOL)

Well that's my guess
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Not even close<evil laugh>. Much more popular book. BTW, I looked up the historical figure on wikipedia and other sites and was very impressed. This man was brilliant and I had never heard of him. Andre was an impressive researcher. Any more hints? Later Kind Folks--Paul:clap: :wave: :cheergirl:
Paul

I must admit I am completely stumped, and need another hint.

Quote:Name the character, the book he first appeared in and the real person he was based upon.

Does the part of your puzzle that I made bold mean that He appears in a group of books that could be considered a series? And if you are feeling really generous - How many Books?

I have been scouring my notes about each book and can't even begin to come up with another guess. :teary:

Jay
You are correct in that the book is first in a series. He is a major(but not the main)character in the first book and is mentioned in later stories.
The character is very singular in appearance. Any guesses anyone?

Late Kind Folks--Paul:clap: :hello: :wave: :crown: :cheergirl:
Was it the guard of the Siege Perilous, that stone gateway that Simon Tregarth steps through?

Even that is only a guess.

Ms Norton never disclosed to me that anyone was based on a single real person.

Unlike some other authors, Ms Norton never auctioned off the right to be "Tuckerized" [named in a book], and all of her books have the standard disclaimer of "None of the places or people are real".
Irene
Irene, right book wrong character. This info came from an interview . I have been going through a lot of old material I've collected over the years and have found several interviews. I wonder how many there are out there? To me, a compilation of those would make interesting reading. Does anyone have a listing of such things?
Starlog(2 issues)
Xignals(Waldenbooks)
several fanzines
transcripts of all those video interviews
I digress, the mind wanders of on a tangent, or maybe that's a SINE or even a cosine. Later Kind Folks--Paul:wave: :jester: :hello:

ps Andre put my wife into a short story. How cool is that?
Alright, I have a guess for two out of three parts.
A. Koris of Gorm
B. Witch World
C. Real person: absolutely no idea, unless he's based on William Marshal (simply because they were both marshalls). William has been called the greatest knight ever, and served four kings of England: Henry II, Richard I, John, and Henry III (whom he served as regent of England while Henry was a child). He was an amazing person.

Mike
Correct on two out of three, Mike. You are a century too early and too far north on the third part. Good guess though; Marshall was amazing too. Happy Hunting! Later Kind Folks--Paul:hellohands: :wink: :whistle: :daisy:
I have a stack of interview stuff. I believe that the Waldenbooks publication was "Signals" ?

Sorry, the lists are at home & I'm pretty busy right now.
Irene
It was actually "Xignals"--Paul
I have a page on my site

"Reviews & Articles"

Were a whole lot of interviews are listed but I am positive it's not complete.
But-of-course you know that if any body sent me more info it would be included pronto!

Jay
All will be revealed Wednesday 8/26----Later Kind Folks--Paul:bg: :muahaha:
OK kind folks, it's been two weeks. Time to 'fess up. I got the info from
HUITLOXOPETL #9, a fanzine published in 1974 by Meade and Penny Frierson from Birmingham Al.
The interview with Andre Norton was done by Willard Harrison.
The question that Willard asked was:
"Are any of your characters based on any person, living or historical?"
Andre's reply was
"No. I have an idea in mind, but once I begin writing, the main characters take over on their own, often changing in the process. I once
had a villain turn into a second hero. There is only one character I ever directly based on a historical one and that is Koris of The Witch World who is modeled on Bertrand du Guesclin, the abnormally ugly hero of French history."

I looked him up on the net and was amazed. He lived from1320 to 1380. he was constable of France from1370-1380 and was France's greatest soldier in his day. Totally brilliant. He's worth looking up. Later kind Folks--Paul

Hope someone had a little fun with this one--P:whistle:
I still think some people ought to send me copies of their inventory, so that the existence of said materials can be listed all in one place. Ownership would of course stay secret. Just want to make the most accurate list possible.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well! - It's About Time Someone Did This! Lots-A-Watts 2 853 April 2nd, 2021, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Operation Time Search - Discussion Lots-A-Watts 5 1,695 December 18th, 2019, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Wraiths of Time - discussion Lots-A-Watts 1 1,264 November 5th, 2019, 02:24 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Time to organize Irene 9 1,202 May 27th, 2019, 06:41 PM
  Key Out Of Time discussion Jerrie 0 502 November 16th, 2018, 01:20 AM
Last Post: Jerrie
  Time Traders discussion Jerrie 0 511 October 3rd, 2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Jerrie
  Crossroads of Time Discussion Marron4Gateau 0 437 August 6th, 2018, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Marron4Gateau
  Trivia time Paul Goode 11 1,143 March 24th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Paul Goode
  TIME TRADER novels Irene 11 1,289 December 20th, 2016, 09:17 AM
  A bit of Murders for Sale Trivia questions Paul Goode 4 917 December 13th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Paul Goode