SHERLOCK HOLMES Interview
I caught the preview for this movie as was immediately thrilled. New and different takes on Holmes always strike my fancy, possibly because of the potential of a steam-punk type setting in Victorian England. With Downey, Jr. back on the rise, the inclusion of Jude Law and Rachel McAdams, this movie already looks great to me. Here's hoping!

[INDENT]In a dynamic new portrayal of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's most famous characters, director Guy Ritchie sends Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey, Jr.) and his loyal partner Watson (Jude Law) on their latest challenge, this Christmas.
Bringing the legendary character to life in a way that has never been shown before, and revealing fighting skills that equal his legendary intellect, Holmes will battle as never before to bring down a new nemesis, named Blackwood (Mark Strong), and unravel a deadly plot that could destroy the country.

During the San Diego Comic-Con, co-stars Robert Downey, Jr. and Rachel McAdams, along with producers Joel Silver and Susan Downey, spoke to press about the realism in their version of Sherlock Holmes.

Q: Robert, can you talk about your take on Sherlock Holmes?[/INDENT]

Read the rest here.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I always thought casting RDJr as Holmes a bit ironic, considering Holmes' little habit he extolled at the beginning of "The Sign of Four", tho IIRC Doyle downplayed it afterwards.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
I've been excited about this one, too, although I haven't been following developments. I didn't have time to read the whole interview right now. One thing I'm wondering if they'll do is play up Holmes' drug use. I'm kind of expecting it given that they seem to be out to reinvent the character to a degree, but I'm just wondering how far they'll take it.
Alvin Eriol Wrote:I always thought casting RDJr as Holmes a bit ironic, considering Holmes' little habit he extolled at the beginning of "The Sign of Four", tho IIRC Doyle downplayed it afterwards.

Indeed! :bg: I see we're on the same page! :laugh: I'm not sure where "Scandal in Bohemia" falls in the chronology, but Holmes' is said to be using cocaine in that story.
Alvin Eriol Wrote:I always thought casting RDJr as Holmes a bit ironic, considering Holmes' little habit he extolled at the beginning of "The Sign of Four", tho IIRC Doyle downplayed it afterwards.

I always found Holme's cocaine habit fascinating in light of his views so loudly expressed regarding the use of opium. Of course, opium is a depressant, whereas cocaine is a stimulant, and Holme's used when he was "bored" and required stimulation for his self-stated genius.

Doyle didn't so much downplay, as have Watson, often his mouthpiece, give the writer's sentiments regarding such drug use. He said medically (as all the drugs were legal at the time) he had no problem, but morally he did. In "The Missing Three-Quarter", Watson claimed to have gotten Holme's off the juice, but allowed that the addiction was still there and always would be.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Queen solves mysteries like Sherlock Holmes badlands 1 427 December 29th, 2021, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Press Kit Interview: Simon Horrocks talks about "Third Contact" FilmGuy 0 2,457 December 19th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Read SF-Fandom's exclusive interview with award-winning film-maker Shawna Baca Michael 0 530 May 31st, 2011, 02:07 AM
  Jude Law says "Sherlock Holmes 2" to start filming Fall 2010 Michael 1 619 July 7th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Mark Strong video interview at HeyuGuys Michael 0 422 May 21st, 2010, 12:42 AM
  New James Cameron video interview Michael 0 565 April 26th, 2010, 03:45 PM
  Interview with James Purefoy Michael 2 769 April 8th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Sherlock Holmes badlands 21 1,426 January 16th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Last Post: august
  Sherlock Holmes marathon on TCM Christmas night, and Sat. 12/26 august 10 1,492 December 29th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Interview: Sigourney Weaver talks about "Avatar" Michael 0 622 December 26th, 2009, 07:42 PM