Celibacy of the Jedi
The Jedi were required to remain single... but did this mean they were chaste?

The thought came to me if a brothel were located strategically close to the Jedi Temple....:whip:

... or maybe all a Padawan had to do was go into a cantina and say "I have a big sword". :dead:
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
Presumably, yeah. Although I can't recall them ever saying anything about the requirement of celibacy in the original films. Is it mentioned? I don't recall Obi Wan ever saying that Luke and Leia were the product of a forbidden love. But it's been a while since I've seen the films.

I'm thinking it was something Lucas cooked up for the new series to increase the drama of Anakin and Padme's relationship.
Jedi were not supposed to fall in love. The issue of sexual relationships isn't raised in the family films.

I have no idea about how the Extended Universe handles the topic.
This issue has come up before.

The basis of the rule is that Jedi aren't supposed to form emotional attachments. However, I don't recall ever hearing or reading that they actually take some sort of vow of celibacy, per se!  

It would follow that Jedi must not 'fall in love' or get emotionally attached to a lover...  Exclamation  Heart

...but no one seems to have ruled out casual, dispassionate, loveless, attachment-free sex for Jedi.  Cool
Did the better brothels in downtown Coruscant City have a pretty elite clientele?  Wink
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
You guys have no idea of the kinds of puns that are running through my mind. Do we have to put a "Mature" label on this thread?

:finger: Rolleyes :fright: Confusedtorm:

:jawdrop:
I suppose Yoda could stand 900 years without sex. I cannot imagine the guy in such an establishment!

Or maybe he just had to say: "Look I so small to you, hmmm?"

No emotional attachment allowed but brothels are fine? I didn't know hedonism was a part of the Jedi creed.

Really what would be the point of requiring them to remain single if celibacy wasn't the plan? Spouses not covered on the temple health care plan?
[COLOR="Teal"]We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love.
It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love as a changed person. [/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]-W. Somerset Maugham[/SIZE]
Classic Yoda:

"Size matters not! Only different in your mind!"

Coconut Ent Wrote:Classic Yoda:

"Size matters not! Only different in your mind!"

Heh...wait...what are we talking about here?!

:laugh:
Luke: Would you look at the SIZE of that thing?
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

I had everything under control until you led us down here!

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Were'nt there female Jedi? I seem to recall at least one of those humanoids with the double hornlike projections on her head. Or am I thinking of something else? Anyway that could be interesting.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.
Agaricus Wrote:Were'nt there female Jedi? I seem to recall at least one of those humanoids with the double hornlike projections on her head. Or am I thinking of something else? Anyway that could be interesting.

Yes, there were female Jedi, though none figured greatly into the movies. I do not believe that any of them had speaking lines, and IIRC none sat on the Jedi Council. Apparently, the Jedi are just as patriarchal as our own society. :twitch

There's a stronger female showing in the Clone Wars cgi animated series that currently in production, for what it's worth. I expect that if the live action series ever comes to fruition, we'll see some more female Jedi's in that, as well.
Boomstick Wrote:There's a stronger female showing in the Clone Wars cgi animated series that currently in production, for what it's worth. I expect that if the live action series ever comes to fruition, we'll see some more female Jedi's in that, as well.

Female Jedi have figured more heavily in those series where Lucas has a lighter/non-existent hand. They certainly figured, and very well, into several of the book plot lines, and as you point out into the Clone Wars series.

Lucas restrained/lack of involvement always makes for better story-telling.

as long as they don't get emotional involve..I suppose.:up:
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
At least one female Jedi had a speaking part in chapter two. She was the head librarian in the Jedi temple.

There was a Jedi general who was a woman. She was blasted in the back by one of the clones when they executed Special Order 66 (or whatever it was called). I don't recall if she had any actual lines but I believe she was a member of the council.
Michael Wrote:At least one female Jedi had a speaking part in chapter two. She was the head librarian in the Jedi temple.

There was a Jedi general who was a woman. She was blasted in the back by one of the clones when they executed Special Order 66 (or whatever it was called). I don't recall if she had any actual lines but I believe she was a member of the council.

That was Aayla Secura. She had a "Yes Master" line or some such. She's very popular in the comics and in fandom in general.
I can imagine quite a bit.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Michael's Review of "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" (No spoilers) Michael 7 746 December 29th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Last Post: mrt77
  Are you ready for The Last Jedi? badlands 1 373 December 15th, 2017, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Michael
  IMAX Releases Poster for "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" FilmGuy 0 427 November 15th, 2017, 12:33 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Video: Galactic Premier trailer for "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" FilmGuy 0 344 November 14th, 2017, 11:30 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Jedi and Bene Gesserit Coconut Ent 5 2,476 November 20th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Coconut Ent
  Jedi Song comicfan 2 907 September 9th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Han Solo
  Episode 13 - "Jedi Crash" thoughts/reviews Han Solo 4 1,114 January 21st, 2009, 06:50 PM
  Sith or Jedi? MasteroftheDarkSide 10 1,901 November 15th, 2007, 12:58 PM
  Did Yoda and Obi-Wan abandon the remaining Jedi? Han Solo 9 2,331 March 28th, 2007, 10:14 PM
  is yoda the oldest jedi frkman 3 1,702 March 6th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Last Post: YodaIam