Reviews: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Well, I work in a cinema and today was opening day. Harry blew all opening day competition out of the water for this year. It helped that school holidays are on over here.

Anyway, here's a couple of reviews to get us going. Sounds like the Harry Potter movies improve in leaps and bounds everytime a new one is released. :bg:

Quote:The final 30 minutes of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince are just about perfect, if you forgive the epilogue. We're not supposed to be holding our breath then, anyway; that's the exhale. But the climactic events of the film - what you're truly paying to see even if you don't know it - are as good as anything we've yet seen in this series.

. . .

[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Director David Yates[FONT=Verdana], who also made the fifth Potter film, Order of the Phoenix, as a more efficient and commercial venture than we'd seen in the previous few years, dismantles that trust he built with the audience and takes Harry Potter into a brave [COLOR=#990000 ! important][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#990000 ! important][FONT=Verdana]new [COLOR=#990000 ! important]world[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] in many ways. While not as maliciously cold as the great Prisoner of Azkaban, the first time we could take the events of this franchise seriously as relevant beyond itself, Half-Blood Prince echoes that moodiness and gloom visually and contextually. It's quite simply a beautiful thing to look at from start to finish.

Full Review Here

Quote:Reading this review, know this: I am not really a Harry Potter fan. I've never read any of the, and I haven't even bothered seeing the last few films, as the franchise has never really struck a chord with me. So I walked into this film expecting a light, kiddie adventure film- which right there, should tell you exactly how much I know about the series- which is zilch. To my surprise, I actually really enjoyed this installment

Full Review Here
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
On behalf of a fair number of the opening night/day audience (even though I was not among them) I'll pass along their reviews:

OMG OMG OMG! :bounce:
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Ditto what August just said! I just got back a little bit ago from this morning's first showing, and It. Was. AWESOME! Everything about it was perfect imo. I'll be seeing this again while it's still in theaters.
Fascinating news from Variety:

Quote:The movie easily scored the biggest midnight gross of all time in earning $22.2 million as it unspooled in 3,003 runs at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday. That figure beats the $18 million earned in midnight runs by Warners' very own The Dark Knight and the $17 million earned by 20th Century Fox's Star Wars: Episode III—Revenge of the Sith.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I saw it this morning. It was AWESOME! :bg: Some of the bits they cut out of the story I was sad to see it gone but it was understandable and the movie was still ridiculously good.
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
Reuters reports the film set a new world-wide 1-day record of $104 million.

"Only last month's "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" scored a bigger midweek (US) first-day gross, with $62 million in domestic ticket sales on Wednesday June 24..."

Which makes sense, since things like Transformers and the various superhero movies are ever-so-slightly more geared towards American audiences, while extended British empire audiences will relate slightly more to a very British story. Plus people read books more overseas than they do here. :laugh:
Just saw the film yesterday. The story arc is maintained however much discombobulated from the book-story. One understands the script as advancing the story. One misses the books richness, but hey, it’s still 2.5 hrs in length.

I was personally disappointed in the Tower scene as climax. NO real feeling of climax. The end bit with Snape was also disappointing. No instructions for Harry to lend the ambiguity needed.

Initial and probably final thought: Yes, I will buy the video - if only to complete my collection. But I won't be watching it 9 times. Rating: 7/10 at best with allowances for the above positives. On second thought, I'll probably wait for someone to give it to me for a gift.

Books are best!
inked
"Aslan is not a tame lion. Safe?
No, he's not safe, but he's good."
CSL/LWW
Saw it yesterday. Overall, I enjoyed it, though it was slow at moments. It's my least favorite book and so I wasn't looking to be impressed. I enjoyed all the teen angst/hormonal rampages - the movie exceled very well on that level and I think it did even better than the book in the Harry/Ginny and Hermoine/Ron chemistry. Draco got to be a real boy in this movie, not a carbon copy of all one-dimensional villians past. The actor who plays him did an excellent job of portraying the character's dilemma, especially given the fact that we haven't seen much of him since the second movie. As for Tom Riddle's history, I suppose the horcruxes' identities can be figured out in the next movie just as easily, so I'll forgive that.

The climax though - it just sort of deflated after the cave. I was underwhelmed by the bell tower scene. Fenrir Greybeck was a wasted character. They didn't even mention the fact that he's a werewolf. No final instructions from Snape to Harry. No funeral? Though really at that point, you did just want the movie to end already. They added a couple of "where did those come from" scenes; that time could have been spent expanding on these other things, especially Snape's role.

I'll give it a 6/10.

August Wrote:Which makes sense, since things like Transformers and the various superhero movies are ever-so-slightly more geared towards American audiences, while extended British empire audiences will relate slightly more to a very British story. Plus people read books more overseas than they do here. :laugh:

Books? What are those? :poke:
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harry Potter game badlands 2 491 March 14th, 2021, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Harry Potter bar badlands 3 300 February 5th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Michael
  HBO Harry Potter reboot badlands 1 225 January 31st, 2021, 12:24 PM
  Harry Potter theories badlands 10 818 November 5th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: august
  Did Harry Potter die? badlands 3 391 November 5th, 2018, 12:12 PM
  The Hillywood Show Harry Potter parody (video) Michael 4 650 September 17th, 2018, 05:33 PM
  Universal Studios Harry Potter badlands 1 334 September 5th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Harry Potter wedding badlands 2 372 August 29th, 2018, 09:54 AM
  Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Irene 5 815 April 18th, 2018, 12:24 PM
  Harry Potter presequel news badlands 7 1,044 December 25th, 2017, 04:22 PM