"Transformers Smashes the Box Office"
Quote:$201m in US in just five days

We knew it would be big, but few would have predicted that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen would take over $201million at the US box office in only five days, delivering an opening only a hair behind that of The Dark Knight.

It took the first Transformers twelve days to cross the $200 million mark, suggesting that this instalment has benefitted from the same ripple effect that led The Dark Knight and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest to do so much better than their predecessors. Revenge of the Fallen now has the best June opening ever, the biggest Imax weekend ever, as well as landing the (rather less impressive sounding) "highest-grossing non-holiday, non-Friday opening weekend".

Full Article Here

I know the movie got some harsh reviews but I loved it (you may have noticed that I'm quite fond of blockbusters :tongueSmile
[SIZE=2]Keeper of Cole and The Cullen Men

"Once the Queen's dead the King's useless . . . maybe he's too depressed to fight; he really loved her you know"
[/SIZE]
A co-worker was telling me how much money it made since it opened and I didn't believe him at first. That's a staggering opening weekend haul--granted it opened mid-week, but still. I'm sure everyone involved with the film bouncing off the walls in joy right now.
It saddens me that (IMO) garbage like this can make so much money. Although I suppose I contributed to the problem by allowing myself to be convinced to see it Wink
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
Roger Moore of the Orlando Sentinel summed it up best:

Quote:As big, dumb summer "entertainments" go, they don't get much bigger or much dumber than "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen."

Is it the worst movie of the summer? Possibly. Will everybody see it? Probably.

What's the solution? Easy. Make 30 million people buy tickets to Cannes finalsits, Sundance winners, and Woody Allen films. Otherwise, we tell Hollywood this is what we want.

And in particular, we say "We want more Orci and Kurtzman!" :bounce: :hellohands:
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I suppose with those box office numbers they don't care if I do not return for a second time ( I saw the first one twice).
But this was a bit too long, imho,and...I'm not a prude by any means, but for a pg13 movie, this was a bit,er...raunchy for the type of audience who would see it. Just me, probably, but some of the jokes were more Family Guy than Hasbro toy. :eek: :ashamed:
I'm kind of glad I didn't take one of my niece's kids (shrug).
" It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Well, I liked the movie. Yes it was kind of dumb, but it's a summer blockbuster not Schindler's List. I confess most of the time I was confused by the infusions of "plot" (something about the sun, I think? [/sarcasm]) and half the time I couldn't tell which robot was who. I think Captain Lennox and his team were under-utilized... we didn't get the character development like from the first film. It's like the movie lost its heart (and I'm sorry but the Mikeala/Sam "you say it first" crap was annoying).

I too was surprised at all the vulgarity and crass jokes. I mean... it doesn't really bother me that much (except for the dogs... and Turturro's butt, I could have lived a very full and happy life without having that image forever ingrained on my brain), but like dasher said this movie is based on a kids toy and bearing that in mind they could have toned it down and still made an enjoyable movie for adults as well as kids. There was a kid in the row in front of me who laughed as he repeated one of the "tame" versions of the f-word, without being corrected by the parent-or-guardian sitting beside him. Sorry, but that wouldn't fly with me.

There were a lot of things I did like. Arcee and her... sisters I guess? They were cool; too bad they weren't featured more. I couldn't get enough of Jetfire. Sam was hilarious, having his "visions."

I did enjoy it but it could have been much better.
That's one of my problems with the 2 Transformers films - who are they aimed at? They're too long and vulgar to be kids' films, but they're too lacking in depth to be aimed at adults.

The boring action and unfunny scripts don't help matters. And being summer blockbusters really doesn't excuse them - most blockbusters are miles better than these.
My guess is that it's aimed at the kids who like the vulgarity and raunchiness, and whose parents think it's almost too vulgar and raunchy for them. Wink In other words, 8-19-year-old of all ages.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
august Wrote:My guess is that it's aimed at the kids who like the vulgarity and raunchiness, and whose parents think it's almost too vulgar and raunchy for them. Wink In other words, 8-19-year-old of all ages.

I dunno, all this talk of "raunchy" when Megan Fox is involved, I may have to see this one. :laugh:
Boomstick Wrote:I dunno, all this talk of "raunchy" when Megan Fox is involved, I may have to see this one. :laugh:

It's not worth two and a half hours of your life.
And actually... the majority of the raunchiness doesn't even involve Megan Fox. :laugh:
Boomstick Wrote:I dunno, all this talk of "raunchy" when Megan Fox is involved, I may have to see this one. :laugh:

One of the all time greatest photo captions, from our local alt-weekly:

[Image: transformers_revenge.jpg]
[SIZE="1"]Megan Fox's character seems to exist mostly for director Michael Bay to peer up or down her clothes in entirely gratuitous shots (like this one).[/SIZE]
It was a great movie despite what the critics say.:cheergirl: Starscream rules.:there:
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
Frenetic action. Gratuitous shots of lots of folks, not just the stars. But cool special effects. Worth putting up with the gratuitous cr*p to see. But the plot line is like 1 and onehalf to 2 old animated cartoon plots strung together.

Did I mention that the SFx were really worth seeing?
inked
"Aslan is not a tame lion. Safe?
No, he's not safe, but he's good."
CSL/LWW
Zagor Wrote:It's not worth two and a half hours of your life.

It wasn't. I saw it last night, and it's really bad. The movie is nothing but visual effects and action sequences glued together with dumb, crude humor. Oh, and product placement, of course. I suddenly have an overwhelming urge to buy a General Motors vehicle...hmmmm Huh

I think almost every character except Optimus Prime is pretty much comic relief. Orci and Kurtzman are pathetic writers, I'm sorry to harp on the guys incessantly, but good grief. If you're going to make a movie this dumb, for the love of all things good and decent, make it 85 minutes long.

Seriously, why did the parents have to be scooped up and brought to Egypt? The Decepticons didn't know they were related to Sam. It was only so Sam's dad could have his moment where he couldn't let go of his son. Which would have worked great in a tighter, more dramatic, emotional script, but here it just adds more time to a movie that's way, way, too long.

I enjoyed the first movie alot when I saw it. I never watched it again, though, and this one has zero replay value, either. When they get new writers and a new director this franchise will have a chance to be decent.

On the plus side, I did like the decepticons that looked like Tigers. Nice little nod to the "Beast Wars" series, and they looked cool. Megatron, Starscream, and the fallen looked too much alike. You can tell them apart fine when everything's standing still, but when the action starts, it's just one big ball of red eyed Decepticons.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, I'd say wait for the DVD. It's not worth a trip to the cinema.
I tend to agree with Boomer. While I did like that there was more on-screen robot v. robot action (since that's what I paid for), the rest of the story was pretty weak and pathetic. The side-stories were mediocre at best, and the whole John Tutorro (can't be bothered to look up his name at the moment) was just awful. I did like that they brought in the Blackbird, but thought that making him "old" was silly. About 1/3 of the movie could have been scrapped and it would have been tighter, better, and worthwhile.

But yes, the effects were worth seeing on the big screen . . . or a big screen tv with a decent sound system.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Always a sucker for that robot-on-robot action, hm? :poke: :crazy:
august Wrote:Always a sucker for that robot-on-robot action, hm? :poke: :crazy:

I'm a small demographic that way! :jester:

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:I did like that they brought in the Blackbird, but thought that making him "old" was silly.

Yeah, that whole sequence is miserable. I was suddenly interested again, and when they go "it's a Decepticon!" there's this great moment of tension, maybe the only one in the film, and it's promptly ruined when he transforms into a robot...with a cane...and a beard. Good grief.

They did waaaay too much anthropomorphizing here. They're supposed to be robots, not humans. The blackbird wasn't the only example, the two Chevy Aveo's were the primary offenders. I'm not sure if they were supposed to sound ghetto or hillbilly, but either way it was absurd. The green one even had a gold tooth, for crying out loud.

Also, did anyone else catch how they go to the Air & Space Museum in downtown Washington DC, and then when the blackbird knocks the hanger door off, they're out on some airstrip? D'oh! Not so great job on the continuity, there. The simpler solution would have been to not establish the location as the Air & Space Museum, then there's no problem.
Boomstick Wrote:Yeah, that whole sequence is miserable. I was suddenly interested again, and when they go "it's a Decepticon!" there's this great moment of tension, maybe the only one in the film, and it's promptly ruined when he transforms into a robot...with a cane...and a beard. Good grief.

What really bugged me about that was why did they need the shard to awaken him? Why did he require awakening at all? And why was he in the museum to begin with? After all, if he's a Decepticon (or even Autobot convert), would he really allow a museum to take him apart and then reconstruct him as an exhibit? I truly doubt they allow operable machinery to sit on their nice clean floors with the potential of leaking, or being started up again.

Quote:They did waaaay too much anthropomorphizing here. They're supposed to be robots, not humans. The blackbird wasn't the only example, the two Chevy Aveo's were the primary offenders. I'm not sure if they were supposed to sound ghetto or hillbilly, but either way it was absurd. The green one even had a gold tooth, for crying out loud.

Awful. Annoying. Unnecessary.

Quote:Also, did anyone else catch how they go to the Air & Space Museum in downtown Washington DC, and then when the blackbird knocks the hanger door off, they're out on some airstrip? D'oh! Not so great job on the continuity, there. The simpler solution would have been to not establish the location as the Air & Space Museum, then there's no problem.

That part I didn't catch, but I'm with you. There was every reason to not place him in a museum at all.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transformers: Rise of the Beast badlands 1 216 September 14th, 2022, 11:18 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Shin Ultraman No.1 In Japanese Box Office (Surpasses Shin Godzilla) BBally1981 1 292 May 16th, 2022, 01:33 PM
  Transformers Beast wars badlands 1 345 March 30th, 2022, 12:28 AM
  old Transformers movie 1986 badlands 1 386 September 17th, 2018, 05:34 PM
  Bumblebee movie trailer for you transformers fans badlands 2 555 June 24th, 2018, 12:38 AM
  Transformers: The Last Knight - Michael's Review Michael 0 448 June 25th, 2017, 10:44 PM
  Video: June 2017 trailer for "Transformers: The Last Knight" FilmGuy 1 455 June 9th, 2017, 11:40 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Video: New trailer for "Transformers 5: The Last Knight 'Dinobots'" FilmGuy 1 475 March 15th, 2017, 12:15 AM
  Transformers 5 badlands 2 469 December 20th, 2016, 04:18 AM
  Sci Fi film "Snowpiercer" opens against "Transformers" and lives to tell the tale... FilmGuy 0 418 July 10th, 2014, 11:31 PM