Fascinating interview on acting with 6 actors
All these guys are big on tv now, but we don't have a "general tv" section, and they've all done movies too. But it's
fascinating that the intent of the interview was supposed to be how traditional good-guy leading men roles on tv are not as
popular now (for audiences or performers) as dark, complex characters.

But what it turns in to is a sort of metaphysical free-assocation discussion on the solitary life of the actor, and how even
when you're a big star, it's not about pleasing some random fanboy (or some random million fan boys and girls) or worrying
about some rating... it's still all about the work.

The Hollywood Reporter gathered together Simon Baker (The Mentalist), Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad), Laurence Fishburne
(CSI: Crime Scene Investigation), Michael C. Hall (Dexter), Denis Leary (Rescue Me) and Bill Paxton (Big Love) - excerpts:

Quote:THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: YOU ARE ALL THE LEADS ON HOURLONG SHOWS. WHAT IS THE TOLL ON YOUR LIVES?

Bill Paxton: I drive from my house to make the call on Monday morning and I'm lucky to see my house before 2 o'clock in the morning
on Friday night. It's a monastic kind of existence. I just stay in a hotel out there (in Santa Clarita, Calif.). I feel like a weird monk.....

Bryan Cranston: What you'll find (on) all of these shows, we're all working 12 to 13 to 14 hours a day. If you can do a 12-hour day,
you can go home and be with your family.

Simon Baker: Twelve hours, you can have an existence.

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: DO YOU VENTURE A LOT INTO CYBERSPACE TO SEE WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT YOU?

Leary: I have all their names and all their e-mail addresses! (Laughter) I'm working on their home addresses.

Paxton: For some reason, I just couldn't click over to the digital world. I just didn't want to. I don't read reviews either, because if you
read the good ones you've got to believe them and then you've got to believe the bad ones, too. .... I did an ...(NPR) interview a couple
months ago... I wanted to hear the interview and I had to go on the Internet to hear it, and all of a sudden there were all these responses,
and the first one was that I was an apologist for the polygamist movement in this country and I was just taking a big paycheck. It really upset
me. It's hard to separate the message from the messenger.....

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: WE'RE ASSUMING NONE OF YOU TWITTER.

Baker: I don't even know what Twitter is. And I hear it all the time.

Leary: I can't get the Twitter thing. Do you really need to know what the f--- Ashton Kutcher is doing with Demi Moore? I don't like
Shaq (O'Neal). I don't need to know whatever the f--- he's playing. (Laughter)

Cranston: I don't pay attention to it. I don't even look at the ratings. Just focus on what you do and go home. I work in Albuquerque,
N.M., so I fly home every weekend and just spend time with the family and fly back on Sunday nights.

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: WHAT'S THE CRAZIEST THING YOU'VE READ ABOUT YOURSELVES?

Cranston: I don't read anything, I don't go online. I don't read tabloids. No one says anything about me. No one knows anything about me.

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: HOW DID YOU PULL THAT OFF?

Cranston: Because it's not why I love to act. So I got what I wanted. I'm able to be this other guy and look completely different and
just be in the woodwork. And nobody follows me. I don't have any paparazzi.....

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: WHAT IS THE BEST THING ABOUT FAME? OR THE WORST?

Fishburne: One of the best things is getting good tables at restaurants. And when people are really genuinely complimentary about your work.

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: INSTEAD OF BEING MISTAKEN FOR SOMEONE ELSE?

Fishburne: Even when they mistake you for somebody else, it's cool.

Paxton: Dude, you were awesome in "Pulp Fiction"! :bounce:

Fishburne: We all have that guy.

Leary: My guy is Willem Dafoe. I get mistaken for Willem Dafoe all the time.

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: DOES IT WORRY YOU TO SEE ACTORS BEING REPLACED BY REALITY SHOWS AND NBC DESTROYING THE 10 O'CLOCK --

Fishburne: I've got to stop you. I've really got to stop you. I've been an actor for, ****, 40 years, and it's really hard to hear you say that we've been
replaced by a reality TV show. It's really hard to hear you say that. So you might want to rephrase that for me, man, please.

Cranston: I was reading something the other day about the girl who does this thing called "The Hills," which I've never seen. And she was like,
"I don't want to do it anymore. They've followed me around for the last five years." That would be my personal hell.....

Read the rest here.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Press Kit Interview: Simon Horrocks talks about "Third Contact" FilmGuy 0 2,398 December 19th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Read SF-Fandom's exclusive interview with award-winning film-maker Shawna Baca Michael 0 489 May 31st, 2011, 02:07 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Mark Strong video interview at HeyuGuys Michael 0 385 May 21st, 2010, 12:42 AM
  New James Cameron video interview Michael 0 527 April 26th, 2010, 03:45 PM
  Interview with James Purefoy Michael 2 725 April 8th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Interview: Sigourney Weaver talks about "Avatar" Michael 0 593 December 26th, 2009, 07:42 PM
  SHERLOCK HOLMES Interview RobRoy 4 569 August 11th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Video: Interview with Jamie Chung from "Dragonball: Evolution" Michael 0 447 February 1st, 2009, 04:55 PM
  Interview with "Cthulhu" actor Dan Gildark Michael 0 523 October 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
  Gemma Arterton interview, cast in "Prince of Persia" Michael 0 448 August 31st, 2008, 02:05 AM