tolkien books that should be movies
What books do you think would be good movies?:up:
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
Well, Jackson proved, if nothing else, that 'Film Directors' can't help but meddle. And they often, in doing so, screw things up.

Don't get me wrong, I 'like' the LOTR movies, but they have key problems with them, many boarding on unforgivable, and some just down right stupid.

However, ever the optimist and even though they may not have broad and popular appeal, I would love to see a series of movies from the stories from the First Age of Middle-earth.

I don't think it would be any good, before the Noldor get back to Middle-earth, but one may have to start with an extended prologue detailing things from the Creation.

Of the key stories in the First Age, I'd love to see:

- Beren + Luthian
- The Children of Hurin (including Hurin's Wanderings)
- Tuor and his coming to Gondolin

I would guess that quite a few people would share the above, and maybe more, but I think the above three lend themselves to movies more than most of the First Age Stories.

Of the Second Age, the abovious one is the story set around the Fall of Numenor and the defeat of Sauron at the end of the Age, but that would probably be two movies at least.

Cheers

Padraig
Here're some brain droppings:

The Silmarillion, as an anime series

Animated "Farmer Giles of Ham" & "Smith of Wooton Major" done in the style of Pauline Baynes' illustrations.

"Leaf By Niggle" done in Claymation

"On Fairy-Stories: the Movie" Big Grin
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
The Lost Road would be a good one, if they can find a good writer to finish where Tolkien left off. It would feel a little bit like the Narnia movie.
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
I would like to see the elves crossing the icesheath made into a film. Also, wouldn't mind some kind of "birth of the elves" amalgamation. I don't mind some differences between text and film, as they are distinctive media.

I would also like to see something about the death of Numenor and the coming of the Numenorian race to the mainland of Middle Earth.
When I die, I will know that I was alive, and that I loved and was loved. (moif)
Just about any war or love story Tolkien described from beginning to end would probably make a good high-budget movie (or maybe a decent fan film).

The one I would most like to see, I think, is the story about the Took who went to sea.
Alvin Eriol Wrote:The Silmarillion, as an anime series
I'd so watch this!
[COLOR="Teal"]We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love.
It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love as a changed person. [/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]-W. Somerset Maugham[/SIZE]
I'd like to see "The Smith of Wooton Major".
And I'm surprised that "Farmer Giles of Ham" hasn't been made into a cartoon/anime somewhere.
If some Disney-princess can do it, why not Sauron?
Who should be cast as Eru?

Would you like to hear the official melodies of the Theme of World, Theme of Melkor, Theme of Elves and Theme of Man?
Jaak Wrote:Who should be cast as Eru?

Unfortunately, Charlton Heston is no longer with us. But I do envision the movie treatment of Eru to be similar to many movie treatments of God taken from JudeoChristian scripture & tradition. That is, Eru might be depicted as a voice and a series of visions conveying His glory, or even more indirectly thru 3rd person narration from the text. You'd want a really powerful voice for this. Unfort, Sir Chris Lee is IMO out since audiences might get the idea Saruman is narrating the Ainulindale for some incomprehensible reason! :jester: I wonder if James Earl Jones is available, & whether it's better to have Ainulindale narrated by Darth Vader! :crazy:

Quote:Would you like to hear the official melodies of the Theme of World, Theme of Melkor, Theme of Elves and Theme of Man?

Why not? It'd probably be some fusion of classical orchestra & ambient, almost certainly w/ neo-Gregorian chant choruses mixed in! Probably one of the prominent ambient artists would be up to it.

When I read the passage about the 'clamorous braying unison' Melkor's faction achieved in the 2nd & 3rd themes, I think of the Imperial Anthem from Star Wars.
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
Jaak Wrote:Who should be cast as Eru?

Sean Connery, obviously.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Mike of Quantum Muse Wrote:Sean Connery, obviously.
He's retired. How about Patrick Stewart?
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion
Mordomin Wrote:He's retired. How about Patrick Stewart?
Nah, James Earl Jones.
"What song the Sirens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, though puzzling questions are not beyond conjecture." - Sir Thomas Browne, Religio Medici
Attalus Wrote:Nah, James Earl Jones.
Darth Vader as Eru?
If some Disney-princess can do it, why not Sauron?
Elenmir Wrote:Darth Vader as Eru?

"I find this lack of faith ... disturbing." Confusedtorm:
Actually, they could probably resurrect Charlton Heston's voice as the voice of Eru -- but then, they could probably also do that for John Huston.
I like the James Earl Jones idea. According to "Two and a Half Men" he does funerals for 25k, so maybe we could get him to speak at Feanor's wake....

On the other hand, can you picture a better voice for giving the Doom of Mandos? "Thou Feanor, by thine Oath, art exiled.....Tears unnumbered ye shal shed, and the walls of Valinor shall be fenced against you"
Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.

I don't have any humble opinions.
Bacchus Wrote:I like the James Earl Jones idea. According to "Two and a Half Men" he does funerals for 25k, so maybe we could get him to speak at Feanor's wake....

On the other hand, can you picture a better voice for giving the Doom of Mandos? "Thou Feanor, by thine Oath, art exiled.....Tears unnumbered ye shal shed, and the walls of Valinor shall be fenced against you"

Great voice for Mandos...but now I'm picturing him as Thulsa Doom! :laugh:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nazism, Arthurian myths, C.S. Lewis, and Tolkien badlands 4 134 April 29th, 2022, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  Tolkien a racist? badlands 2 93 April 27th, 2022, 02:42 PM
  What did Tolkien mean? badlands 2 112 April 17th, 2022, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Tolkien Publications bilbobaggins764 0 95 March 30th, 2022, 04:20 PM
Last Post: bilbobaggins764
  Priscilla Tolkien has sailed away to the undying lands. badlands 3 182 March 11th, 2022, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  Is Tolkien anti- religious? badlands 3 252 February 24th, 2022, 06:39 PM
  Tolkien memes badlands 2 142 February 23rd, 2022, 11:35 PM
Star Tolkien and sex badlands 2 277 February 23rd, 2022, 11:32 PM
  Tolkien fun facts badlands 1 148 January 26th, 2022, 02:19 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Tumblr blog trolls Tolkien fans Michael 2 500 May 7th, 2021, 12:53 PM
Last Post: badlands