That's *SIR* Christopher Lee to you
Christopher Lee has at last been knighted!

Details at Reuters. :clap: :hellohands: :party: :balloons:

In an interesting sidenote, in 2005, when he was 83, Lee was named Hollywood's most marketable star of the year by the Guardian, noting that his three films that year - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - took in a combined $640 million, $70 million more than what Ewan McGregor's five movies earned, to come in at second place. Of course, he had only a cameo in Charlie, a few scenes in Sith, and a small voice role in Bride, but still.... I bet if you added the 3 LotR films with the two Star Wars films, along with his varous Burton cameos, that would be awfully hard to top that total for the first five years of this decade....
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
It's about time, isn't it!

A great choice, though, at this point he must be one of the oldest, most active British screen actors.
He certainly is. His recent comeback in his 80's was mainly due to little boys who grew up as fans of his horror movies becoming big directors - Peter Jackson, Tim Burton, and George Lucas.

A couple of interesting things about him:

At one point he was listed in the Guinness Book of Movie Facts and Feats as being the international star with the most screen credits (and one can twist the definition of "international" and "star" around to make it work) and also in the Guinness Book of World Records as "The Tallest Leading Actor" at 6' 5" (and again, the word "leading" can be defined to make that work too!)

Other cool tidbits:

He played three different characters in three different Sherlock Holmes movies: Holmes himself, Holmes's brother Mycroft, and Sir Henry Baskerville.

He was a cousin (by marriage) and close friend of Ian Fleming, who created the character Lee later played in Man W/ the Golden Gun.

He was the only member of the cast/crew of Lord of the Rings to have actually met Tolkien.

One site says he "sustained an injury to his hand while filming a swordfight with a slightly drunk Errol Flynn for 1955's The Dark Avenger.

Both he and his fellow Star Wars Sith Lord, David Prowse, have played Frankenstein's Monster opposite Peter Cushing. (He also did several films with Boris Karloff, who was his next-door-neighbor at one point.)

He hosted SNL in 1978, and his episode remains the 3rd-highest rated show of the entire seres.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
You didn't mention Lee's multi turns as Hammer Films' Dracula, which were my intro to Lee. It was in Hammer Films he became associated w/ Prowse and Cushing.

Refresh my memory: what LotR character did JRRT say Lee should play? Not Saruman. (bear in mind Lee was a much younger man then.) He'd have made a powerful Denethor (if portrayed by-the-book) or Aragorn, IMO.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
:lol: Well I didn't mention those, or the Musketeers, or the Mummy films, or the Fu Manchu films, or countless others just because I didn't see any interesting trivia about them. Wink

No clue about the LotR thing - I guess it depends on how old he was at the time....
I must check out that film with Errol Flynn. Presumably it's nothing impressive, being near the end of Flynn's career and the relatively early in Lee's, much like "Too Hot to Handle" with Jayne Mansfield, even though it's post Dracula for Lee, it's still basically a crummy role in a B-Movie.

I see IMDb lists it as an uncredited role for Lee in "The Warriors." Patrick McGoohan also has an uncredited role, apparently.
august Wrote:I wasn't familiar w/ Too Hot to Handle, so looked it up, and I gather Lee has a smallish role, even though, as you say, he had already graduated to leads - even speaking parts (since his Dracula mainly snarled and brooded, but Sir Henry Baskerville is sort of a juvenile lead.)

As I recall he plays the scheming owner of a competing nightclub. Mustache and all, of course, so you know he's the bad guy. :bg: The film is pretty unremarkable. I'll have to go back and look at it, but I don't recall her outfit being all that revealing. Of course, compared to Promises, Promises... But I digress... The names involved with Too Hot to Handle probably drag it up a few notches on the credibility scale, but there are more entertaining films among her later work,Dog Eat Dog being an example.

Quote:I think I may have seen The Dark Avenger, although those later Flynn films all sort of gel together. I think AMC ran it at one point under the "Warriors" title, and he seems to play the Black Prince, which sounds familiar. If it's the one I recall, they do film it on location in England, with several hundred real live knights galloping about on horses in combat...but that was cheap back in the 50's, and green fields and castles (and unemployed former cavalry guys) were all over the place. As you say, Lee apparently isn't even credited, meaning he may not even have any lines, and evidently played a "French Patrol Captain at Tavern." OK, perhaps he had one line like "Get heeeem!" :bounce:

"Get heeeeem!" :laugh: I try to find out whenever they're airing any of those obscure late Flynn films so that I can record them. So far the only one I've got is The Big Boodle. A pretty good effort, but then, like Mansfield, Flynn's later work (1950-onward, I'd say) is all relative. A mediocre B-Movie like Boodle is made to look solid compared to an epic stinker like Adventures of Captain Fabian.

Er, but back to Christopher Lee... How about that guy! I liked his turns as Sherlock Holmes because Patrick Macnee played Watson opposite him. What a great team up!
OK, this is pretty cool - Sir Christopher is playing the Jabberwock in a new Tim Burton/Johnny Depp version of Alice in Wonderland.

Thankfully Helena Bonham Carter isn't playing Alice. :bounce: Instead she's playing the Red Queen, with Anne Hathaway playing the White Queen, and Johnny as the Mad Hatter.

An all-star cast of eccentrics is in it: Michael Sheen (from Frost/Nixon and Rise of the Lycans) is playing the White Rabbit, Alan Rickman The Caterpillar, Stephen Fry The Cheshire Cat, Crispin Glover The Knave of Hearts ... even Marton Csokas is listed, playing "Charles Kingsley," a real-life British historian. Guessing he plays a friend of Alice's family at the party she disappears from.

Alice is portrayed as slightly older, by Mia Wasikowska, a 19-year-old Australian of Polish heritage who just happens to be a fabulous babe:

[Image: 84464.jpg]
Whoa. This is beginning to sound like the trippiest Burton movie yet.
Boomstick Wrote:Whoa. This is beginning to sound like the trippiest Burton movie yet.

You ain't kiddin' .....

Assorted images here and here (click on "gallery" and "panoramic pics.")

And check out Depp:

[Image: Alice_Hatter_Depp-thumb-330x495-19674.jpg]
Yikes. There was some talk that he had "based" his portrayal of Willie Wonka on shock rocker Marilyn Manson. While I never really saw that in the performance, he certainly looks like Manson here!
Cool, I didn't know Sir Christopher was going to be in the film! I'm not the biggest fan of Tim Burton, but I think I'm going to have to see his interpretation. It looks incredible!

One thing I don't understand. If they could make Johnny Depp look like that, why couldn't they fix Anne Hathaway's eyebrows? Sorry, but that just bugs. :there:
Niphredil Wrote: why couldn't they fix Anne Hathaway's eyebrows? Sorry, but that just bugs.

:lol: Well either she's still wearing her make-up as geeky, non-princessly Mia Thermopolis.... or that's part of the "look" for her character. Those are just a little more pronounced than her natural look:

[Image: xAnne_Hathaway-08.jpg]
Why would any director or producer take on Alice In Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass unless they felt led to do "trippy?" (well, besides Disney, anyway) I guess it was just a matter of time before Burton went for it.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
Exactly. Although the Halmis are doing a tv version for Sci-Fi that may be less trippy and more science-fiction-y - details [url=]here[/url]. And Maggie Grace is doing a variation in the UK called "Malice in Wonderland" (it may use the Alice structure as a metaphor for a crime thriller, I think, ala O Brother Where Art Thou and Joyce's Ulysses both technically being based on the Odyssey.)

And then there was the x-rated version from 1976.....
it is about time. He is really a good actor.
Don't insult the precious, my precious!:book:
The actual event was this morning in the UK (interestingly, on Hallowe'en!) Some photos here!
Thanks for posting the link to the pics, august, I enjoyed seeing them. I didn't realize that the Prince of Wales could Knight people, I thought that fell only to the reigning monarch.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christopher Reeve passes away at 52 Boomstick 24 1,968 October 22nd, 2004, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Zagor