Odd Andre Norton being acutioned on eBay
A rather curious Andre Norton is being auctioned off on eBay at the following web address: http://cgi.ebay.com/Andre-Norton-Hand-si...otohosting

I have some doubts as to its aunthentcity. I don't think our Gracious Lady would have spelt her name "Andra Norton"

Any thoughts?
I am not expert in these matters but the letter appears to have a date corrected to 1988 whereas the postmark on the envelope is dated 1978. I have no idea of what that means.
I noticed the seller also refers to Andre as a 'he' in his description kinda odd dont you think!

cheers
Stripe
[SIZE="2"]The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams[/SIZE]
There were LOTS of letters written to Andre Norton in the 1970's by Public School children. Andre answered them all. I looked through a stack of these in the Syracuse U collection of Andre's letters. (Only the received letters.) I do not know if Andre typed all of the answers, but lots of the letters were writen to "Dear Mr. Norton".

I'm a bit surprised about the mis-spelling of Andre's name on the letter head, but the whole letter could have been typed by someone else. It does look like the typing that I remember from the archives (a standard typewriter where different letters have different darkess). The envelope appears to match, and the post mark looks good.

Book dealers are still getting the gender incorrect for Andre Norton.

Now for the address change. I don't have the address memorized for Andre when she lived in Winter Park, FL. The one thing unreadable is the city on the XX'd out address. Luckily the envelope shows Maitland. If needed, I can go back through my records, and see where Andre was living in 1988 when I first began to write to her. Maitland seems correct as the previous city.

Basically, anyone purchasing this item, would be purchasing the signature, and that looks OK to me. But I am NOT a signature expert.

For $10 this is a good deal. Request that the item be placed flat with at least one layer of plastic protection with a hard backing, and a DO NOT FOLD on the item envelope. [It would be OK if the letter was placed back in the envelope carefully - but make sure that there is a request for waterproof shipping.]

If you get this letter, go out and purchase an archival (or copy safe) page protector, and put it into a notebook or binder.
If you are going to frame it, make sure that you get an archival mat (I suggest spending the extra few $$ to get it done professionally.) And keep it out of direct sunlight to protect that signature.

PS: 'Andra Norton' appears to be part of the paper, centered & different font. Not typed.
Irene
It looks genuine. The South Lakemont address is correct. And I think the Maitland address is where she lived with her mother before she (mother) died. The letter content and the signature also appear okay, I agree. I imagine the "Andra" error is from the stationery shop, and she decided just to use it rather than return or toss the error papers.
Well, I went back and checked on the item.

With two hours to go.... no bidders.
Now that the auction is closed, there were two bidders, and the final bid price was $34, which is still pretty good.
Irene
More and more stuff on eBay seems to be going at the very last minute...
One strategy is to wait until the last 15 minutes, and put your Maximum bid on. Then, if no one bids against you, the minimum rules. If someone bids against you in those last few minutes, they will be "outbid" by your max, and they probably won't be able to put in another bid before the auction closes.

A more sneaky method is to wait until the last 5 minutes before the end of an auction & put a high bid. Anyone else will usually be outbid, especially if they only see that $10 minimum.

I have been to auctions, where putting a bid on a piece, has people LOOKing at the piece again, and bidding against you.

I, personally, go for the bid early, and bid high, and let them TRY to get it from you. [If the seller of that piece of early Norton knew what my maximum was. They would have had fits. - I think this was for BERTIE AND MAY back when.]

In the case of this specific Norton item. There was a bid at 7:27, and the winning bid at 12:00:59 , on an auction that closed at 12:01
Irene
The person who won with 2 seconds left in the auction either stayed up and bid at the last second, or used one of the electronic snipe programs.
Isn't 12:01 just a minute after noon? But with that split-second-precision, there was either some re-bidding (to get over the first person's bid), or one of the electronic engines.

That last bid was 1/60 of a second before the auction ended.

I have noticed one improvement. You cannot tell the "ID" of the person who did the bidding. They only show as "a**u", which is much better than someone knowing that "irene" is bidding on that item [That's not my ebay id, so don't get any ideas.]
Irene
catsrule1 Wrote:The person who won with 2 seconds left in the auction either stayed up and bid at the last second, or used one of the electronic snipe programs.

I really hate/loathe/despise those. I don't mind losing to a human being--it's part of the fun of an auction--but it's unfair to have to be competing against a machine. (I have set my alarm to get up and bid on something that ends at an ungodly hour...)
jmelsna Wrote:I really hate/loathe/despise those. I don't mind losing to a human being--it's part of the fun of an auction--but it's unfair to have to be competing against a machine. (I have set my alarm to get up and bid on something that ends at an ungodly hour...)

I used to set my alarm and wake at 2:00 AM, and it seemed as if every lot I really wanted closed at close to that time. I no longer can afford to do such, either losing the sleep, or paying the high prices as if it was a regular auction with constant bidding. Since eBay is an electronic auction, since the snipe programs are in widespread use, and are not felt by most to be unethical, I use them whenever I really want something. I am still outbid frequently when someone has set a higher max bid using the 'regular way'. I'm still not sure how that auction was won, as with the snipe programs I have heard of, all make the bid in the last 6-7 seconds, and that one was in the last 1 second. And, BTW, you are still losing to a human being, just 'technologically enhanced', when outbid by snipe programs, at least IMHO.
Actually, if you (and I am talking to the generic person who uses ebay) put in a bid early - even a day or so in advance, you only put in one bid..... If someone with a snipe program tries to outbid you, you still have only the one bid, even if you show as being at the last fraction of a second, you have the earliest bid, and as long as it is even one penny higher, the item is yours.

I used to bid in 'odd' amounts like $10.10, just to have that ten cent jump on the other bidder....

Speaking of which: the ebay auction for Spectrum#5 ended yesterday... Before I had a chance to see if I owned it (not on my shelves, not in my annotated notes - I really have to take the time to find some order on the shelves of stuff). Now if I had only checked when I got home last night, but I had that brand new book smell in the latest Bujold book.
Irene
Irene I feel your pain.

Unfortunately I have been cut off from purchasing Andre items for awhile. The Boss says I went way past my quota last year.

At least I found the Spectrum Pamphlet in time to add it to my web-site. I added the listing and the image.
"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Andre Norton's website - andre-norton.com
Someone has a nice copy of Scarface on Ebay now at a reasonable price, but the feedback of the seller is the only drawback. I cannot see from the scan of the copyright page if it is a first printing or not.
I haven't found that yet.... searching the hard way.

but I did find a copy of
OMNIUMGATHUM, H. P. Lovecraft-Robert E. Howard
which contains several Andre Norton poems. This magazine sized & I seldom see a copy for sale
Irene
I found the SCARFACE item.

My notes state
"I" on Copyright page

Even with tinny print (hard to read to my eyes), I would think that an "I" standing alone would have been visible.

I can look at my copy tonight.
Irene
Speaking of which: the ebay auction for Spectrum#5 ended yesterday... Before I had a chance to see if I owned it (not on my shelves, not in my annotated notes - I really have to take the time to find some order on the shelves of stuff). Now if I had only checked when I got home last night, but I had that brand new book smell in the latest Bujold book.[/quote]

Hi Irene,
If you did not find Spectrum#5, I note that there is one now just listed on ebay.
Best Wishes,
Steve
Sci-fi collectibles? Pulp magazines by the hundreds for cheap? Don't want to bother bidding?

See my buddy Tom Johnson on page 115 of Issue Three, Escape Velocity Magazine. The free PDF to this issue is HERE. Trust me...you won't believe it.
Don't give up reaching for the stars... just build yourself a bigger ladder.
Adventure Books of Seattle
The 'Straight Talk' Column at Newsvine

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Andre on "Jeopardy!" Jerrie 1 123 July 4th, 2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Passing of Andre Norton, March 17, 2005 Irvkoch 49 31,408 July 2nd, 2022, 09:55 AM
  a vivid Andre Norton moment Jerrie 2 164 June 6th, 2022, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Collecting Norton Lots-A-Watts 8 367 May 25th, 2022, 08:47 AM
  Andre Norton inspired Martha Wells Jerrie 3 811 May 15th, 2022, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Good News for Andre Lovers. Lots-A-Watts 5 620 December 3rd, 2021, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Andre's burial site Tudorlady419 3 494 November 24th, 2021, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Tudorlady419
  HUGE Andre Norton sale - today only! Jerrie 3 651 March 28th, 2021, 09:06 PM
  ebay listing - 70 Andre Norton books for sale chris.hakenkamp@gmail.com 1 673 November 19th, 2020, 09:01 AM
  Andre's Reading Corner - Nobble Warrior Meets with a Ghost Lots-A-Watts 1 418 November 4th, 2020, 08:13 PM