Young Claymation devotee hopes to bring it back
Interesting story about a young man's quest to find his way in a digital world with his love for an old art form.

[indent]Aspiring Claymation filmmakers and fans of the fantasy genre, heed Kevin Ulrich's warning, for his is a cautionary tale with both good news and bad news.

He said his professors at Biola University in Southern California have told him he won't have too much competition for jobs in Claymation filmmaking. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the field isn't that competitive because it's not very popular right now, and that jobs are scarce. He was encouraged to go into computer animation instead, he said.

"Computers and I don't get along," Ulrich said as he brought up videos he'd made on a laptop.

He explained that the work required to animate something with clay is not nearly as computer-intensive as putting together a film using only computer animation.

The Telegraph first ran an article on Ulrich about a year and a half ago. Since that time the 20-year-old from Edgewood has been attending film classes for about a year.

At that time, Ulrich had taught himself filmmaking and storytelling, he said.

He's also made short stop-motion videos since he was 10, most of them based on "Indiana Jones," "Star Wars" and "Lord of the Rings" story lines and they make heavy use of Legos.

"My first stories weren't that good because I was 10 years old," he said.[/indent]

Read the full article here

I sympathize with his frustration over computer animation. Simple graphics give me no end of heartache. But I'm not sure I would want to ever watch another new claymation movie again. That's just me.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Trailer for "Young Ones" FilmGuy 0 353 July 27th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  "Pacific Rim" - Monster Movies are Back! Michael 0 448 July 14th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Release of "Gravity" starring Sandra Bullock, George Clooney pushed back Michael 0 758 May 20th, 2012, 04:32 PM
  Sam Raimi to direct young Wizard of Oz Michael 5 705 June 18th, 2010, 05:47 AM
  John Cusack goes back in time in a hot tub Michael 3 639 January 25th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Disney to back "Alien Legion" movie Michael 2 590 December 15th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Travolta family back in Florida with son's ashes RobRoy 2 433 January 7th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Bruckheimer's "Prince of Persia" film pushed back to 2010 Michael 8 808 November 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Doncoriel
  Hercules coming back to cinema? Michael 4 460 September 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM
  Sean Young Rehabs Fantasy 3 718 March 1st, 2008, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Boomstick