Men and clothes
Is it true that the number one reason men buy new clothes is because their old pants won't fit anymore?

(Yeah my old pants are getting a bit constricting after ten years, LOL!)
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
More or less, yeah. :bg: I finally broke down and bought some new pants this past week because I was down to one pair that were still in decent enough shape to do anything other than work in. :laugh:
I used to buy clothes when someone said, "Doesn't that feel uncomfortable?" or when someone (usually a woman) said, "Do you ever shop for clothes?"

I've schooled myself to update my wardrobe a little bit each year.
It's interesting to see you all say this, because most of the guys I know have their own styles they pursue. Two out of three of my brothers, in their early to late-mid twenties, like to go out shopping with their wives and pick up new clothes. The other one isn't really a shopper, but he likes to know where the other two picked up their stuff so he can do the same.

And my male friends will tell me how they are glad it's a certain season because they can pick up a certain style they prefer.

Over the years, as the oldest sibling and so the first to have a job and a license, I logged many hours driving my brothers and their, then, girlfriends-along with others of their guy and girl pals, to the mall.
I would be bored as they all were happily shopping in trendy stores and emerging with bags of clothing.

As we speak, I'm sitting here relaxing in my favorite tattered jeans and old tee-shirt.
I suppose it's a personality thing.
[COLOR="Teal"]We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love.
It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love as a changed person. [/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]-W. Somerset Maugham[/SIZE]
As a woman, I have to say that I hate shopping for clothes and will put it off for as long as I can. I am more than happy with just a handful of good jeans and sweathshirts and a dozen or so shirts that I can mix-match with them. I have three pairs of shoes, two which are only good for a few of my clothes, and one pair of sandals, and sandals are pretty much the only thing I wear all summer long.

Actually, I now have four pairs of shoes as I was reminded yesterday while I was out running errands in the rain that the shoes I was wearing, and wear most often, have leaks in them. I was obliged to go out and buy a new pair that I can wear on rainy days. I went to the first shoe store I saw and bought the first pair they had in my size that was on sale.

I do try to buy a few new shirts a year, but I only get new jeans when my other ones get worn out in embarrassing places.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
I do things on the basis of whether I like the experience or it's time out of my life.

When I was in college I went shopping with a friend quite often because we were friends, not because I enjoyed shopping.

When I finally decided to embrace a decent wardrobe, I did enjoy exploring new ideas about how to express myself. But I was always careful to try to elicit opinions about what to buy from other people. Many times I had to ask the sales people or strangers in the stores for suggestions.

Being someone who doesn't easily warm to strangers, I found myself intrigued by the challenge of overcoming my reluctance to engage in casual conversations about clothes and colognes and stuff. But back when I was dancing regularly it made sense for me to talk to people about all sorts of stuff. It's not very enjoyable to have to hold someone for 15 minutes in a dance class where you just stare off blankly because no one has anything to say.

Those clothes shopping trips helped me open up more to people and I think it helped me personally. I used to think of shopping as a necessary evil, but now I think it's an opportunity to learn a little bit more about ourselves.

My girlfriend noticed I tend to feel all the fabrics before I look at how clothes appear. If I don't like the way a fabric feels, I'm not interested in trying on a shirt or something. I had never realized that until she mentioned it.
GamgeeFest Wrote:As a woman, I have to say that I hate shopping for clothes and will put it off for as long as I can. I am more than happy with just a handful of good jeans and sweathshirts and a dozen or so shirts that I can mix-match with them. I have three pairs of shoes, two which are only good for a few of my clothes, and one pair of sandals, and sandals are pretty much the only thing I wear all summer long.

Actually, I now have four pairs of shoes as I was reminded yesterday while I was out running errands in the rain that the shoes I was wearing, and wear most often, have leaks in them. I was obliged to go out and buy a new pair that I can wear on rainy days. I went to the first shoe store I saw and bought the first pair they had in my size that was on sale.

I do try to buy a few new shirts a year, but I only get new jeans when my other ones get worn out in embarrassing places.
I am so much like this! :laugh: I also dislike shopping for clothes. And the dress items I own are only worn when I must.
Then it's back to the jeans and tee-shirts.
(I prefer tee-shirts to sweatshirts, because I can always put a jacket over it if I get cold.)
I have had my brother's tell me it was time to buy new jeans just for the reason you gave. Wink
And it's sandals all summer long-so I can kick them off as soon as possible.
Right now I basically am choosing between two pairs of shoes, one of which is beginning to fall apart. The dress shoes I have are, as the clothes, worn only when circumstances require.
Michael Wrote:If I don't like the way a fabric feels, I'm not interested in trying on a shirt or something.
I can absolutely relate to that. If it's uncomfortable fabric there's no point in my buying it, as chances are it will just stay in my closet until I give myself an excuse to get rid of it.
Of course, what is a comfortable fabric would be different from one person to the next.
[COLOR="Teal"]We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love.
It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love as a changed person. [/COLOR]

Looks like Doncoriel and Gamgeefest too will only buy new clothes when their pants no longer fit... :trio: LOL!

(And that they do it so seldom means they are very good at maintaining weight... :clap: :kiss: )

Some fabric weaves are just not meant to be worn... I couldn't wear a shirt my Mom bought me once because it was just so irritating to my skin. The cloth must have been intended for curtains or tablecloth!

Is it true that Moms can be so clueless when buying clothes for their boys (including grown-up ones)? :question:
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
Michael Wrote:My girlfriend noticed I tend to feel all the fabrics before I look at how clothes appear. If I don't like the way a fabric feels, I'm not interested in trying on a shirt or something. I had never realized that until she mentioned it.

For me, I check the tag. Anything that mentions ironing or dry cleaning goes back on the rack. :bg:

Doncoriel Wrote:Right now I basically am choosing between two pairs of shoes, one of which is beginning to fall apart. The dress shoes I have are, as the clothes, worn only when circumstances require.

I love my old shoes and will continue to wear them till they fall apart. They're just not practical for rainy days anymore, especially as I'm getting over a cold.

Coconut Ent Wrote:(And that they do it so seldom means they are very good at maintaining weight... )

Yeah, but I'm not telling you what that weight is! :tongue:
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
I only buy new clothes when I need them. I ripped my last two pair of jeans I had, so finally I decided to go out and buy more.

I also bought another pair of khakis, but that's because the "stain defender" I had on my last pair decided to stop working.
Don't do nothing.
When my pants no longer fit, I began running again. I wasn't willing to give up some of my favorite clothes because I'd become sedentary.

I have my own style and actuall LOVE to shop . . . on my own. I don't like shopping with my wife, as she HATES to shop. It's something of a bear hunt to get her to buy anything.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
GamgeeFest Wrote:For me, I check the tag. Anything that mentions ironing or dry cleaning goes back on the rack. :bg:
Absolutely agree! I hate dry clean, and I avoid materials that will require ironing whenever possible. (Actually, I don't think I own an iron at the moment...)

Quote:Yeah, but I'm not telling you what that weight is! :tongue:
Ditto what she said! :bg:

RobRoy Wrote:I have my own style and actuall LOVE to shop . . . on my own.
Woo-hoo! Someone representing the type of man I know!
I enjoy my brothers and male friends nurturing their own style. I also enjoy their discussions on facial hair and hairstyle choices.

Now, where are the women who love to shop?
...Maybe they are shopping...

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep in your clothes? Maciliel 25 1,409 January 31st, 2004, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Nashk