Flat, unexciting 'Earth Stood Still' lacks big thrills
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
My imaginative mind created scenes of Gort the giant terminator marching through the city turning everything into vapour but leaving the people unharmed. On the motorway as vehicles disappear, drivers and passengers stay afloat while simultaneously moving fast in a seating position, then finally stand with feet on the ground after slowing down to stop. Buildings disappear while office workers fall quickly then suddenly stand with feet lightly touching the ground. I see Gort as structure-destroyer for the homeless and the vehicleless.
:trio:
Nutritionist expert: Boiled eggs break down much quickly than meat.
The human digestive system is not really equiped for meat digestion.
The movie may not have been the best SF film ever made but a few scientific points escaped the reviewer's knowledge.

For example, the film's swarm gives a nod toward the "grey blob" problem arising from the study of self-replicating nano-technology. Scientists have proposed a doomsday scenario might occur if we create self-replicating micro-machines and lose control of them, such that they would turn the surface of the Earth into a grey blob, wiping out all life.

Stargate-SG1 dealt with this scenario in its Replicators storyline. They did extrapolate it out to the extreme by having intelligent, self-aware replicators completely obliterate the Asgard homeworld, turning its surface into a smooth plating consisting of an unimaginable number of replicator blocks several meters deep.

Another aspect of the science which the reviewer seems unaware of is how swarms behave. The apparently random selection of buildings and vehicles that were destroyed seemed (to me) to be based on the behavior of locusts, who will swoop down on one field, consume it entirely, and the fly miles away -- passing over other fields of crops -- to land somewhere else.

Locusts, scientists recently discovered, change their behavior once they begin to swarm. I did not see any indication in the movie that they were influenced by that principle, but Gort certainly transformed from a seeming single machine into a horde of self-replicating machines.
Michael Wrote:For example, the film's swarm gives a nod toward the "grey blob" problem arising from the study of self-replicating nano-technology. Scientists have proposed a doomsday scenario might occur if we create self-replicating micro-machines and lose control of them, such that they would turn the surface of the Earth into a grey blob, wiping out all life.

I haven't seen the movie, but wasn't aware of this plotline. This was also the major theme of Michael Crichton's novel Prey.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video This Island Earth Skyway Patrolman 5 626 November 14th, 2020, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Skyway Patrolman
  The good and bad science of "Earth II" Michael 0 633 May 22nd, 2018, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: 1999 SciFi indie film "Lost: The Black Earth" FilmGuy 1 572 July 27th, 2014, 07:37 PM
  My Take: "After Earth" Is a GREAT Coming-of-Age Story (Some Spoilage) Michael 0 677 June 2nd, 2013, 12:59 AM
  Video: Trailer for "4:44 The Last Day on Earth" FilmGuy 0 723 March 14th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  M. Night Shyamalan's "After Earth" rumors Michael 0 1,046 October 16th, 2011, 06:08 AM
  Interviews with Brit Marling and Mike Cahill about "Another Earth" Michael 0 587 August 5th, 2011, 08:41 PM
  Critics share their thoughts about "Another Earth" Michael 0 1,049 August 5th, 2011, 08:34 PM
  "Earth Defense Force" to be next "Independence Day"? Michael 2 607 November 19th, 2010, 12:03 PM
  Astronomer on the Set of 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' RobRoy 0 412 December 9th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Last Post: RobRoy