Caffeine and Breast Cancer Risk
Can't wait for mornings to have that industrial-strength cup of coffee from your favorite coffee shop?

Or maybe a caffeine-loaded soda midday to boost you through your afternoon slump at work? Well, caffeine is the most commonly consumed drug worldwide, so you're certainly not alone.

It's been hypothesized that caffeine can increase one's risk of breast cancer, but a recent study in the Archives of Internal Medicine does not bear out this theory. According to these researchers, overall breast cancer risk isn't associated with caffeine intake.

Read the rest here.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
:coffee: The world is a much safer place for others to be when I have regular IV's of caffeine. World domination doesnt seem quite so important somehow.....
Cheers, :hello:
missferal

- Be nice to people on your way up
because you might meet 'em
on your way down -

>***********************<

Official International Kevin Sorbo Fan Club
http://www.ozfans.com

It seems to me that the Anti Pleasure forces are determined to link caffeine to something harmful, and haven't figured how.

Every few years somebody talks of a potential risk, and then it's found not to be there.

These people need a good cup of coffee.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Mike of Quantum Muse Wrote:It seems to me that the Anti Pleasure forces are determined to link caffeine to something harmful, and haven't figured how.

Wait, wait, wait. Are you saying that you'll take caffeine over breasts in this scenerio?!

On behalf of all breast-loving men everywhere, I implore you to rethink this stance!

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:Wait, wait, wait. Are you saying that you'll take caffeine over breasts in this scenerio?!

Caffeine is best when you can get it over breasts.

RobRoy Wrote:On behalf of all breast-loving men everywhere, I implore you to rethink this stance!

I thought the study debunked the link.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Mike of Quantum Muse Wrote:I thought the study debunked the link.

"Overall breast cancer risk", yes. On the other hand (and unless I'm reading the report wrong), "Significantly, however, consuming caffeine was associated with a 68 percent increased risk of estrogen-receptor-negative and progesterone-receptor-negative breast cancer — both breast cancers to which the female hormones do not bind — and a 79 percent increased risk for cancerous breast tumors larger than 2 centimeters in diameter."

I'm not an oncologist, so I can't tell you exactly what that means. But my understanding is that the above two cancers are benign . . . how benign is tricky to say.

I'm not a fan of caffeine, but I am a fan of breasts. I'm all in favor of not taking the risk in order to save the breasts! Wink

missferal Wrote::coffee: The world is a much safer place for others to be when I have regular IV's of caffeine. World domination doesn't seem quite so important somehow.....

Yes. Oh Feral One.

Although I endorse peaceful coexistence with my fellow beings, I make it clear that no one -- NO FRAKKING ONE!!! -- impedes or curtails my access to tea. And if it's my morning cup (16 oz, BTW) of hot tea, you had better provide proof of an impending emergency of major proportions.Huh
OUt of curiosity, those of you who drink the caffeinated beverages, do you really think its the drug that you need, or is it simply part of your morning ritual? The "way" in which you wake up and start your day, and interupting that is bothersome and annoying?

I'm not big into caffeine myself, and typically avoid it. After the birth of my son, I found myself enjoying a Diet Rock Star in the morning (not first thing though) in order to stave off the yawns from a lovely evening spent feeding, changing, rocking, and repeating. But usually, caffeine makes me a bit shaky and jittery.

I've never enjoyed coffee, unless it was Irish, and then only for the Irish part. To me, coffee tastes like someone burnt something.

RobRoy Wrote:OUt of curiosity, those of you who drink the caffeinated beverages, do you really think its the drug that you need, or is it simply part of your morning ritual? The "way" in which you wake up and start your day, and interupting that is bothersome and annoying?

I'm not big into caffeine myself, and typically avoid it. After the birth of my son, I found myself enjoying a Diet Rock Star in the morning (not first thing though) in order to stave off the yawns from a lovely evening spent feeding, changing, rocking, and repeating. But usually, caffeine makes me a bit shaky and jittery.

I've never enjoyed coffee, unless it was Irish, and then only for the Irish part. To me, coffee tastes like someone burnt something.

It's definitely the drug. Without caffeine I get horrible headaches, listlessness, it's bad. It's withdrawal.

And I am convinced it's not placebo effect because I unknowingly got a pound of decaf once and thought I was coming down with the flu before I figured it out, ran out and got a cup of the Real McCoy, and felt instantly better.

Caffeine does constrict blood vessels in your brain, like an anti-inflamatory medication like aspirin or Ibuprofen. Many migraine medications contain caffeine.

There is very likely a psychological component, but the physical addiction is quite real.

Mike of Quantum Muse Wrote:Caffeine does constrict blood vessels in your brain, like an anti-inflamatory medication like aspirin or Ibuprofen. Many migraine medications contain caffeine.

I sometimes come down with screaming headaches, and have found that a caffeinated beverage can help alleviate the issue. For this, I've found the most caffiene in the smallest quantity of beverage to be the best bet.

Quote:There is very likely a psychological component, but the physical addiction is quite real.

So, and I'm not speaking from an anti-stance here at all, knowing this, is there a reason you choose to not get off the sauce?

RobRoy Wrote:So, and I'm not speaking from an anti-stance here at all, knowing this, is there a reason you choose to not get off the sauce?

For me it's the only way to start any day. I can even make myself my first cup without even thinking about it or the process involved. It helps me 'wake up' and I find it revitalises me throughout the day if I start to lag.
I prefer the taste to tea too, I save that for icky tummy days.

Years ago, a GP (family type doctor) told me once (or twice) that I should drink less coffee but it's the one thing I would give up last - not first.

But not that long ago, I met another medical professional who told me that coffee is not the lone culprit of the conditions/issues being bandied about.
It is caffeine that is the problem.
Yes too much caffeine is bad for you, but coffee itself is not. The excess sugar and cream people use in coffee is bad, but "coffee" is not! Long term caffeine use makes the body lose calcium but not coffee. For those of us who just get by without our chosen vice, he suggested a compromise, full blooded warm tangy tasty coffee to start the day and decaf for the remainder, have a full blooded hit mid afternoon if you think you need one.

Coffee is full of antioxidants much in the same way tea and cocoa are. Coffee can help alleviate some symptoms of asthma and headaches, and recently has been shown to lower diabetes and Parkinson's risks in several studies.

Years ago I use to have sugar with my coffee but I slowly weaned myself off that and now just have a little milk with my coffee, I have yet to develop a taste for pure black.

:coffee: I just can't imagine (and don't really want to either) my day without a coffee. The risk of anything resulting from my regular caffeine fix would have to have severe consequences and irrefutable proof before I would be willing to lay such a pleasurable delight to one side for ever.
Cheers, :hello:
missferal

- Be nice to people on your way up
because you might meet 'em
on your way down -

Official International Kevin Sorbo Fan Club
http://www.ozfans.com

Anything ingested in excess is potentially fatal. Why knock caffeine?! Water is far more prevalent!
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Now, I like to live dangerously so I combine caffeine and water in one drink!!!
WHERE's MY COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!
inked
"Aslan is not a tame lion. Safe?
No, he's not safe, but he's good."
CSL/LWW
I drink decaf coffee once in a while. But with tea, it's either the real thing or nothing at all.

I'm not hooked on caffeine. I rarely eat sweets or drink soft drinks -- both of which are loaded with caffeine and sugar.

I'll drink hot cider, too, and hot chocolate.

But raised in Virgina, tea is like mother's milk, without the embarrassment of being given funny looks by passing strangers.

I just love tea. If they decaffeinated it, and still retained a decent taste, I might try that.
RobRoy Wrote:So, and I'm not speaking from an anti-stance here at all, knowing this, is there a reason you choose to not get off the sauce?

Well, the health risks from caffeine are minimal, there are benefits, as misferal pointed out, and it makes me very, very happy.

Plus, the withdrawal is really really awful.

If I were stealing to support my habit, developing emphysema, sharing dirty thermoses in dark alleys, or ignoring my family to "brew up," I'd consider getting help.

As addictions go, it's light on the negatives, and tough to shake, so, not worth doing the twelve step, IMO.

MoQM, you and I and George Carlin all agree: "Caffeine is on the low end of the speed spectrum!":coffee:
inked
"Aslan is not a tame lion. Safe?
No, he's not safe, but he's good."
CSL/LWW

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Little Bit of Caffeine Helps You Solve Problems Michael 0 125 April 13th, 2022, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Michael
  High fat, cholesterol may lead to Alzheimer's but Caffeine, Sugar may help brain Michael 0 1,110 November 25th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Woman Sets Breast Implants Record: 38KKK RobRoy 17 3,670 September 13th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Last Post: EDSEL_PK
  Leader rails at teen breast implants gift fad RobRoy 2 715 October 14th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Last Post: EDSEL_PK
  Kidman launches breast cancer month Friday September 29 Stripe 0 563 September 29th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Stripe
  Day care increases risk of allergy symptoms RobRoy 2 446 May 13th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Last Post: Boba,Obi Wan,Jango
  breast cancer research Stuart 0 435 June 1st, 2004, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Stuart
  Male Breast Cancer Unregistered 5 534 April 18th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Adamanta
  Cancer, How Many people here are affected by it? Unregistered 3 574 April 10th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Last Post: sarahloui
  Cancer - has it affected you? Ebony 45 1,592 May 12th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Ebony