Johnny Depp lined up to play Sir Roger Moore in new film
Former "James Bond" Sir Roger Moore's memoirs are being turned into a biopic, and Johnny Depp is tapped to play him.

Reports say that two top film companies are fighting over the screen rights of the tell-all book, My Word Is My Bond. The memoir features the 81-year-old actor's romance with celebrities including Elizabeth Taylor in the 50s and 60s.

The Daily Express quotes a source as saying, "The two production companies' interest in Sir Roger was heightened after they read the tales of his Hollywood exploits."

Read the rest here.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
An odd choice, I think. Depp wouldn't have immediately come to mind if I was considering people to play Roger Moore.
Boomstick Wrote:An odd choice, I think. Depp wouldn't have immediately come to mind if I was considering people to play Roger Moore.

Agreed.

Who would you have put in that role?

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I can't think of any, really. But I'm thinking Roger Moore is quite a bit taller than Johnny Depp, and certainly they don't look anything alike.
RobRoy Wrote:Agreed.

Who would you have put in that role?

Pierce Brosnan comes first to mind, but I expect they want somebody younger. Hmm, Leonardo DiCaprio? But the voice would be wrong.
Yep, but Depp has a sort of blank slate face. No outstanding facial features that remind you it's him. (As opposed to, oh, Charlton Heston or Charles Bronson or someone.) With the right wig I'm sure he could do just fine. They do both have those arched eyebrows, and striking eyes....

But as we know, resemblance has rarely been an issue in bio films.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
aerips Wrote:Pierce Brosnan comes first to mind, but I expect they want somebody younger. Hmm, Leonardo DiCaprio? But the voice would be wrong.

Brosnan would be an interesting choice. A Bond to play a Bond.

DiCaprio might also be interesting, but I get the feeling he's out of the biopic game. With darker hair and the accent, he could pull it off though.

august Wrote:But as we know, resemblance has rarely been an issue in bio films.

That is an interesting point. Unless the actor/actress tapped is highly disagreeable, no one really seems to mind the looks comparison for a biopic.

Alternately, in remakes, reboots, prequels, etc., looks seem to be one of the first issues brought up. Think the Daniel Craig reboot of James Bond or the recent reboot of Star Trek.

Plus, I would think that this would cover Moore's early life too, and Johnny (and Leo) can still convincingly play age 25.

So can we imagine Johnny playing this man, or this one? Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch....
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
august Wrote:So can we imagine Johnny playing this man, or this one? Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch....

Wow, after seeing that, I can almost imagine Josh Hartnett being perfect for the role.

With something like this, we'll see how far up or down the Hollywood food chain it goes. If the book continues to sell well, then they'll get as big an A-lister as they possibly can. If the project loses some steam, they might get an up-and-coming actor from the ranks of people like Hartnett, Josh Brolin, Aaron Eckhart (not saying any of these should get the part, but just defining a certain non-Brad Pitt/Tom Hanks level of stardom) and if it loses even more, then they'll get some super-talented person who looks just like him....that we've never heard of. Wink

There are countless stories about who roles start out intedned for, and who ends up playing them. Chris Rock once talked about an action thriller he did, and he assumed that if he was the lead, then his co-star would be some other C-lister, and he was fearing he'd get stuck with Alan Thicke or someone as his mentor, but it ended up being Sir Anthony Hopkins, so he was really excited. But what he didn't say (and might not have even realized) was that the roles of the wise-cracking look-alike for a spy and his agency handler would first have been offered to people like Jim Carrey and Morgan Freeman, then gone down the food chain to Ben Stiller and Gene Hackman, and ended up with him and Hopkins. Next down would have been perhaps Damon Wayans and Christopher Loyd. Wink
august Wrote:There are countless stories about who roles start out intedned for, and who ends up playing them. Chris Rock once talked about an action thriller he did, and he assumed that if he was the lead, then his co-star would be some other C-lister, and he was fearing he'd get stuck with Alan Thicke or someone as his mentor, but it ended up being Sir Anthony Hopkins, so he was really excited. But what he didn't say (and might not have even realized) was that the riles of the wise-cracking look-alike for a spy and his agency handler would first have been offered to people like Jim Carrey and Morgan Freeman, then gone down the food chain to Ben Stiller and Gene Hackman, and ended up with him and Hopkins. Next down would have been perhaps Damon Wayans and Christopher Loyd. Wink

And we still ended up with a mediocre movie at best.

Well exactly. So often people who have these hugely successful careers do so not just because of talent alone, but also because they wisely pick their roles and projects. John Wayne was a big star in his youth and middle age, but did plenty of forgettable films. Decent ones, just forgettable. But the older he got, it seemed the better scripts he did. Unsure if people really were writing projects for him... or if he just got the pick of the lead roles for older actors. So that's why we got a mediocre movie - it was destined to be that from the start.
august Wrote:So that's why we got a mediocre movie - it was destined to be that from the start.

But it's something like Bruce Campbell says about Congo. You have award winning director Joel Schumacher, and award winning actor Anthony Hopkins, a slew of executive producers like Chad Oman (Remember the Titans, Black Hawk Down, Coyote Ugly and Clayton Townsend (JFK, The Doors, Natural Born Killers) and the director of photography is Dariusz Wolski (The Crow, Crimson Tide, Dark City). It seems like it should be a hit.

Yep. Exactly like Congo! :bg: The writers were all experienced too. But Schumacher and Hopkins have had wildly erratic careers. Hopkins for example has given plenty of decent performances in mediocre movies, and excellent performances in box office bombs. (Teen girls in the 60's didn't have posters in their rooms of him as Claudius in the Nicol Williamson Hamlet for example :laugh: ) And Schumacher has won some awards...but those include the Razzie for Worst Director. Wink That's basically Bruce's whole point: even a top-notch cast and crew doesn't guarantee success, either artistically or at the box office.
Ah-ha! Ewan McGregor! That's who they should get to do it. A much better option than Johnny Depp, IMO.
Boomstick Wrote:Ah-ha! Ewan McGregor! That's who they should get to do it. A much better option than Johnny Depp, IMO.
As much as I love Johhny, I couldnt imagine him in this role either and Im waiting for the 'piffle, Im not doing it, He's not doing it' type remarks to surface.

However Ewan.. yes. I can see that.
Cheers, :hello:
missferal

- Be nice to people on your way up
because you might meet 'em
on your way down -

>***********************<

Official International Kevin Sorbo Fan Club
http://www.ozfans.com

>***********************<
I really can see Ewan! But if he's going to do it, he needs to do it now, 'cause he's almost 38! And movies like these usually spend 90% of the time on the early life of an actor.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Johnny Depp badlands 11 1,573 June 13th, 2022, 07:39 PM
Last Post: august
  Replacing Johnny Depp with Robert Downey JR badlands 2 695 January 12th, 2019, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Nathan Fillion in "Uncharted" fan film Michael 0 519 July 16th, 2018, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Johnny Depp badlands 5 930 December 27th, 2017, 08:46 PM
  Who should play General Sherman and General Stonewall Jackson? badlands 1 491 December 16th, 2017, 02:32 PM
  Johnny Depp in an Agatha Christie movie badlands 2 707 June 7th, 2017, 03:49 PM
  Jack Nickolson and Morgan Freeman in a theatre play together or movie together badlands 1 581 October 16th, 2014, 10:42 AM
  Why no film roles for James Earl Jones, Frank Langella, etc.? august 7 1,947 April 19th, 2014, 11:56 PM
  Is Johnny Depp or Martin Sheen going to be in movie about WW II? badlands 2 919 January 15th, 2014, 01:21 AM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Welcome all Johnny Depp newbies here gamze-jo 213 26,812 September 2nd, 2013, 05:16 PM
Last Post: badlands