Rate and review Grindhouse.
Just watched it recently, just curious as to what others think. And, perhaps someone would be so kind as to explain something to me: for the most part, it looks very authentic, very retro; except that there are parts where, for no apparent reason, they're using cell phones. Huh Huh Huh

Yeah, I know I know.... I should never try to find logic in a Tarantino film.
The four food groups: beer, more beer, Jack Daniels and Jimmy Beam.
RedVengeanceIII Wrote:Yeah, I know I know.... I should never try to find logic in a Tarantino film.

And that whole movie didn't make much sense anyhow. It was more a Tarantino homage by Tarantino. I mean the diner scene was very close to the same scene in Resevoir Dogs.

I liked the first movie Planet Terror. It drew on all the tropes and was just tongue-in-cheek enough, winking at the audience the entire time so that we were in on all the fun. At the same time, you can see how it could have been taken as a serious movie/money-making venture.

Death Proof didn't work at all for me. I mean Kurt Russell is pretty awesome, and I've watched him in some really lame stuff because I like to follow him as an actor. But still, this was . . . blech. The only good part was picking out the characters from the first movie who showed up at random times.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I still haven't watched either of them yet. It sounded like such a good idea, but then...meh...I never got around to them.
OK, well, my eternally-humble opinion: it's pretty good, not nearly as good as Pulp Fiction but a billion times better than Kill Bill. (But then, what isn't?)

So, I think Grindhouse potentially could have been really, really great - if they had left out the obvious anachronisms, the cell phones, references to the internet, et. al... None of which obviously has any place in a late 70s / early 80s period piece... and I'd still like for someone to explain why they're there.... :question: Huh Confusedtupid: Huh
RedVengeanceIII Wrote:OK, well, my eternally-humble opinion: it's pretty good, not nearly as good as Pulp Fiction but a billion times better than Kill Bill. (But then, what isn't?)

Not the Tarantino portion, which made little to no sense. The Rodriguez portion, Planet Terror was the worthwhile movie, and should be compared to other Rodriguez efforts. I liked it better than Once Upon A Time, but not as much as Desperado. It ranked along the same lines as the second half of From Dusk Til Dawn.

Quote:So, I think Grindhouse potentially could have been really, really great - if they had left out the obvious anachronisms, the cell phones, references to the internet, et. al... None of which obviously has any place in a late 70s / early 80s period piece... and I'd still like for someone to explain why they're there....

Because it wasn't a 70s/80s film. It was a 2007 film paying homage to the grindhouse films of the 70s/80s. They used current cars, weapons, etc. as well. This wasn't meant to be a period peice.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:Because it wasn't a 70s/80s film. It was a 2007 film paying homage to the grindhouse films of the 70s/80s. They used current cars, weapons, etc. as well. This wasn't meant to be a period peice.

No... no I suppose you're right; it wasn't meant to be a period piece. Nevertheless, I think it would have been a lot better if it had been completely retro.
RedVengeanceIII Wrote:No... no I suppose you're right; it wasn't meant to be a period piece. Nevertheless, I think it would have been a lot better if it had been completely retro.

Perhaps. I don't see how Death Proof would have been any better if it had been completely retro. Planet Terror was close enough that pushing for period realism wouldn't have made much difference.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: History Buffs 2016 Review of 'Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World' Michael 2 955 June 21st, 2020, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Michael's Review of "Muder on the Orient Express" (2017) Michael 1 752 November 24th, 2017, 11:30 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Michael's Review of "Alien: Covenant" Michael 1 417 June 28th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Ingvanye
  Transformers: The Last Knight - Michael's Review Michael 0 359 June 25th, 2017, 10:44 PM
  Where is the Cars3 review? badlands 2 405 June 21st, 2017, 05:42 AM
  Michael's Review of "Passengers" Michael 0 349 December 25th, 2016, 09:40 PM
  Michael's Review of "Independence Day: Resurgence" Michael 0 659 June 26th, 2016, 07:54 PM
  "Hail, Caesar!" - Michael's Review Michael 2 508 February 28th, 2016, 12:32 PM
  Michael's Review of "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2" Michael 1 411 November 21st, 2015, 02:52 PM
Last Post: rkomar
  My Review of "Jurassic World" - ICK Michael 11 667 August 31st, 2015, 10:51 AM