Paul Newman has Died
I'm sure you'll all begin to see this as you come into contact with the mass media today, but I'm just seeing that actor Paul Newman has died. It seems he had cancer and has finally succumbed to it. He was 83 years old.

His credits include a veritable stable of classics, including Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Cool Hand Luke, The Hustler, The Sting, and Slapshot, among others.

Contemporaries remain, like Robert Redford, while still others, like Steve McQueen, have been gone for years. All those guys were part of a great age in American film, though.

Oddly, just last night I was at the supermarket and noticed his face on a bottle of wine for the first time. I'm sure his line of food products, "Newman's Own," will carry on.

It's always sad to see a cultural icon go, but what a body of work he's left behind to be remembered by!
Classy guy; will be missed.

He didn't acknowledge having cancer, Said it 'wasn't anyone else's concern."
Guess he didn't want the sympathy or to have people remember why he died; rather than how he lived.

Guess I would want the same.
His last film work was for "Cars", in which he performed the voice of Doc Hudson (the Hudson Hornet). I suppose that would be fitting, given how much he loved racing.
Boomstick Wrote:Oddly, just last night I was at the supermarket and noticed his face on a bottle of wine for the first time. I'm sure his line of food products, "Newman's Own," will carry on.

Even better, Newman's Own is actually a charitable company. They donate, after taxes and whatnot, all proceeds to education and other charitable causes.

Quote:It's always sad to see a cultural icon go, but what a body of work he's left behind to be remembered by!

Icon is the right word for it. From his early turns on short-lived television shows ("Tales of Tomorrow" and "You Are There") to his break-out performance in Somebody Up There Likes Me and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, he was a powerhouse performer. Of course, he added iconic roles to his resume, some of the most remembered characters in cinema for The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke, Hud and, of course, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

As Michael mentioned, his last work was Cars, and it's attached Mater and the Ghost Light. Both excellent, and certainly in line with the bar that Newman set for himself as a performer.

He will be missed.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Film Director, Writer Larry Cohen has died Michael 1 899 April 14th, 2019, 08:25 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Paul the apostle of Christ badlands 0 347 April 8th, 2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Singer George Michael has died Michael 0 426 December 25th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Soul singer Bobby Womack has died Michael 0 475 June 28th, 2014, 03:17 AM
  "Paul" starring Sigourney Weaver, Simon Pegg, Seth Rogen, et. al. Michael 0 562 September 23rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
  Paul Verhoeven Questi 8 764 February 29th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Last Post: Questi