Will Smith to star in "The Last Pharoah"
This news is from last March, but I have only just learned of it.

Source: Canoe
[indent]Will Smith set to conquer Egypt?
By JIM SLOTEK and KEVIN WILLIAMSON -- Sun Media

He's played a real-life champ in Ali, and various forms of action-men fighting aliens, robots and post-apocalyptic vampires.

But Will Smith still doesn't have a sword-and-sandals epic to his credit like Brad Pitt (Troy) and Colin Farrell (Alexander).

Enter Taharqa, the last Pharaoh of the 25th or Nubian Dynasty (the one in which blacks of Ethiopian descent ran Egypt).

Carl Franklin (Devil In A Blue Dress) has already banged out a script called The Last Pharaoh, full of Ethiopians battling Assyrians for the throne of Amun-Ra. Now it's being polished by Chris Hauty (Never Back Down), so look for some mixed martial arts to excite the masses.

"It's an open writing assignment from Will's company. It's something he's taken a big interest in," says Hauty, who's had a few projects fall apart in recent years (including an animated version of Moby Dick that Dreamworks started working on and dropped because it decided to get out of traditional animation after Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron gave up the ghost at the box office).[/indent]

Variety has now updated the story (slightly):
[indent]Will Smith puts on 'Pharaoh' hat
Randall Wallace to write Columbia drama
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Will Smith may next morph into a god.

"Braveheart" scribe Randall Wallace will write "The Last Pharaoh," a Columbia drama crafted as a vehicle for Smith to play Taharqa, the pharaoh who battled Assyrian invaders in ancient Egypt.

Smith, James Lassiter and Ken Stovitz will produce for Overbrook Entertainment.

Smith, who has long wanted to play the pharaoh, brought Wallace the Taharqa story[/indent]

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117991...id=13&cs=1

So, I like "historical epics" but I think people get a little too lost in the desire for realism. "Troy" was made on the premise of "what if there was a historical war behind the myth?" and yet people complained that it wasn't anything like Homer's poem.

If Smith's movie doesn't try to be faithful to anything in particular, will people be upset if it's actually NOT faithful to anything in particular?

I enjoyed "10,000 BC" even though it wasn't based on real history.
'Scorpion King' wasn't really historical. But there WAS a 'King Scorpion' figure in ancient Egypt upon which the story was loosely-based.

'Braveheart' was a superb story, but rife with historical inaccuracies.

So it depends on what audience they target -- the history geeks, or the laid-back popcorn-munching matinee-goers.
Michael Wrote:But Will Smith still doesn't have a sword-and-sandals epic to his credit like Brad Pitt (Troy) and Colin Farrell (Alexander).

Of all the movies to pick. <sigh>

This sounds interesting. I didn't know there was a "real" Scorpion King. I'm off to wikipedia! :trio:
Houston . . . we have a problem.
Heh. They don't know much about him. You can read something about him on this Ancient Egypt page.

Here is a little more about the origins of Egypt.

I like movies that explore the past in an artistic way. Sometimes I'd like them to be really faithful to history, but sometimes history can be boring (maybe only due to presentation).
'Troy' was great. Once you get past the odd casting choices -- a movie chock full of Greek characters, but not a single Greek in the cast -- it's really top-notch epic adventure.

The down side? For me, the movie petered out after the final battle between Achilles and Hector.
I like that first press release. Script being "polished" by the guy that did Never Back Down, huh? Yes, the scribe who's credits include that testosterone driven B-Movie and Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco, should be the perfect choice to make the calls on a script that could potentially be the next Will Smith summer blockbuster! :laugh:
Boomstick Wrote:I like that first press release. Script being "polished" by the guy that did Never Back Down, huh? Yes, the scribe who's credits include that testosterone driven B-Movie and Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco, should be the perfect choice to make the calls on a script that could potentially be the next Will Smith summer blockbuster! :laugh:

Perhaps he's adding dialogue? :leech:
Houston . . . we have a problem.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jason Momoa to star in "Minecraft" Michael 0 87 May 9th, 2022, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Michael
  A movie about Joseph Smith's wives badlands 1 497 August 31st, 2015, 11:03 AM
  Video: Trailer for Kevin Smith's "Tusk" FilmGuy 0 298 July 26th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Charlize Theron to star in "Agent 13", "scifi movie" FilmGuy 0 615 April 23rd, 2012, 04:22 AM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Willow Smith to play Annie badlands 1 525 January 29th, 2011, 12:23 PM
  Gerard Butler may star in "Afterburn" film adaptation Michael 0 683 November 17th, 2010, 04:50 AM
  James Franco and Danny McBride star in "Your Higness" (2011) Michael 2 561 September 24th, 2010, 11:08 AM
  Star Sam Jones Prevented a Flash Gordon Sequel? Boomstick 6 3,744 September 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Harrison Ford to star in "Cowboys and Aliens" Michael 7 802 April 16th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Jackie Chan to star in new "Karate Kid" movie Michael 3 596 March 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
Last Post: RobRoy