Iran Times provides critical view of "Prince of Persia"
Our source for this story is a site that republished the article. I only use the secondary source (which includes a link to the Iran Times site) for convenience' sake.

08/12/08
'Prince of Persia' Film is Very Remote From Persia
Source: Iran Times

Walt Disney Studios has just begun filming the fantasy film "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" and has also delayed its release by a year; it is now expected to premiere Memorial Day weekend in 2010.
[SIZE=2]

The film is not another "300," portraying Persians as vile beasts. The Prince of Persia is the hero of this film. But it would be hard to find much in this film that connects to Persia, apart from the name.

Officially, Disney said the delay in the planned release date is to allow plenty of time for post-production work, considering the film will require extensive special effects to create its fantasy world. But the delay also takes "Prince of Persia" out of the path of potential competitor "Transformers 2."

Director Mike Newell began filming the movie late last month in Morocco and will remain there until the production moves to London.

The film is getting much attention in the Iranian-American community, although the linkage to anything Persian is quite tenuous. The film is based on Ubisoft's bestselling videogame of the same name. In the game, the player must attempt to traverse the palace by running across walls, ascending or descending chasms, avoiding traps, making other types of well-timed leaps, solving puzzles, and using discovered objects to progress.

Read the full article here

There appears to be a formatting problem with the article.

[/SIZE]
Gosh, Hollywood doesn't make realistic movies? Wow, I've really been disillusioned here. :bg:
I think Disney definitely has a reputation for rocking cultural traditions. They took a lot of heat over "Pocahantas" for similar reasons. But I don't remember as much (actually, any) criticims over "Aladdin". Maybe that was just too long ago.
Michael Wrote:I think Disney definitely has a reputation for rocking cultural traditions. They took a lot of heat over "Pocahantas" for similar reasons. But I don't remember as much (actually, any) criticims over "Aladdin". Maybe that was just too long ago.

I find it absurd how people bring these issues up. Of course it's unrealistic, it's entertainment. I'd get pretty worn out if I felt the need to write an editorial every time I saw a movie that misrepresented the realities of any given culture or nationality.
I seem to remember that there were changes to the lyrics in the opening song in Alladin after some complaints. Originally featured a line about getting your hand cut off or something like that.
So, fust for the sake of argument, what kind of video game or movie WOULD the Iranians approve of?

Starship Jihadis?
EDSEL_PK Wrote:So, fust for the sake of argument, what kind of video game or movie WOULD the Iranians approve of?

Starship Jihadis?

Which, in turn, would likely be offensive to western viewers.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Movies based on Kamikazes point of view badlands 2 403 December 13th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Michael
  "Prince of Persia" - My Review (not good) Michael 14 1,280 July 30th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Irish Times article covers James Cameron Las Vegas appearance Michael 0 474 June 16th, 2010, 03:15 PM
  Avatar - L.A. Times talks with movie's botanical expert Michael 5 718 January 7th, 2010, 09:11 PM
  prince of persia badlands 2 478 December 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  NY Times article on genre films august 2 446 August 31st, 2009, 11:35 AM
Last Post: august
  Prince of Persia:The Sands of Time badlands 2 539 December 28th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Last Post: RedVengeanceIII
  The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian on Blu-ray HD and DVD RobRoy 0 364 December 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Bruckheimer's "Prince of Persia" film pushed back to 2010 Michael 8 768 November 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Doncoriel
  Profile of "Bond", "Prince of Persia" actress Gemma Arterton Michael 7 5,554 September 21st, 2008, 11:18 PM