Indiana Jones (contains spoilers)
So what did you all think?

I enjoyed it mostly, but was left feeling a little empty.

Indy looked his age through much of the film and although some of the set pieces were very good and there was a lot of humour throughout, it just felt as if everyone was trying a bit too hard. It all felt a bit contrived.

As for the plot well...
To view, use your mouse to select the text:
I didn't really like the whole alien angle very much. I would have preferred if they had kept things routed on the ground.

Also, I found the ending, although visually spectacular for the most part, was a little weak, with Indy and the others merely spectators rather than participants.

I did like the character of Mutt, and I liked the interplay between Indy, Mutt and Marion.

So mixed feelings. It was fun, but I expected much more than I got.
I didn't like it at all. Tired actors and script, poor plotting and as for that ending . . . .
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
I liked it, thought the plot was a clever play on how the World has changed since the old movies; both for Indy and for the viewers in the theater.

While the alien angle seems far out, in my opinion, it's really no more outrageous than some of the things presented in the other films. But in "Raiders" and "Last Crusade" the absurd elements have something to do with Christianity, which we're all comfortable with. In "Temple," Mola-Ram pulling out a man's heart has to be the most absurd element in any of the four Indy films, but it flies because he's part of a cult and looks quite satanic in his get-up, so the viewer assimilates it easily. Let's not forget Indy is based on old movie serials and pulp heroes. As the character moves into the fifties, I think it's an appropriate tribute that he takes on a case with a Sci-Fi bent.

I agree that it feels a little more like a tribute piece at times, but it's a far sight better or just as good as any of the other popcorn blockbusters we've had for the past five years or so.
It wasn't the outrageousness that bothers me it's just it didn't seem to fit in with the whole ancient feel of the previous films.

But to be honest this film lost me with the fridge.
Zagor Wrote:It wasn't the outrageousness that bothers me it's just it didn't seem to fit in with the whole ancient feel of the previous films.

But to be honest this film lost me with the fridge.

That was funny, but I agree that it maybe should have been handled differently. Still, compare this film to, say, the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels, and it's solid gold.
After two weeks it's made an estimated $216,881,000 at the US box office alone, so I think it's safe to chalk the film up as a financial success already.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion on it. I was expecting rampant arguments. Where's RR? Everyone on vacation or something? :bg:
Boomstick Wrote:I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion on it. I was expecting rampant arguments. Where's RR? Everyone on vacation or something? :bg:

I'm here. :bg:

Was there really any doubt that a Lucas/Speilberg/Ford trifecta would result in box office gold? If Ford had simply appeared in Indy costume, and then recited duller monologues from Shakespeare, I believe we still would see $100 million result.

Overall, I liked the movie. But it was set up to be liked, as it nostalgically gazed behind itself, smiling at the success of the last three films, nodding to the audience to show that we had been along for the ride, and provided us with the chance, the hope, the less-than-off chance that there would be a "new" Indy chronicle, but with Indy, Jr.

Since we're a second week beyond the release, I think we're past spoilage, especially for these forums. With that in mind . . .

Was anyone really shocked that Mutt turned out to be Indy's son? Was anyone else surprised that Marion Ravenwood turned out to be Mutt's mother? I did like how Indy rejected all the other women in the films and went back to the one we all loved the most. It was a nice round-out of the entire Bond-girl concept.

It's funny that while I'll buy Mola Ram, to whatever extent, and the Christian mythos to a greater extent, I have a tougher time with the crystal skull/alien origins of this movie. Certainly, no less plausible than anything else we've seen, but it just felt over the top to me. It wasn't even a big surprise that we would see said aliens, given the obvious play up, but perhaps it was just the way in which it was portrayed. <shrug>

Oh, and on another note, I had no problem whatsoever with the monkey scene. I don't know why so many have latched onto this as the ruining moment for the film. If there was such a moment, it was when Lucas, Spielberg and Ford decided to put the fedora back on and crack the whip one more time. The monkey scene was silly, but what the heck. This movie had bigger problems than that, like the refrigerator scene whose physics were oddly mirrored in Iron Man. :whip:

For Indy fans, this is a must-see on the big screen. After all, you've watched (or wanted to watch) them all on in the theater. There isn't likely to be Ford-led film, so this is movie-history. For those of you who are less Jones-savvy, probably wait to rent the DVD. I'll only own it to complete my collection, which will, of course, include the recently released versions of Young Indiana Jones which was nicely nodded to within this film.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:Was anyone really shocked that Mutt turned out to be Indy's son? Was anyone else surprised that Marion Ravenwood turned out to be Mutt's mother? I did like how Indy rejected all the other women in the films and went back to the one we all loved the most.

Oddly she's always been my least favourite of the 3. I thought she was unintentionally annoying as opposed to Willie who was meant to be annoying and was therefore funny.
Zagor Wrote:Oddly she's always been my least favourite of the 3. I thought she was unintentionally annoying as opposed to Willie who was meant to be annoying and was therefore funny.

Guess I shouldn't have said "everyone". I still prefer Marion. Any woman who can drink a giant Nepalese under the table, then fight her way, while drunk, out of a burning bar is the girl for me. :wow:

Willy wasn't funny by being annoying. She was just annoying. Highly annoying.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:Willy wasn't funny by being annoying. She was just annoying. Highly annoying.

I agree. Never much liked her. Marion could be a bit annoying at times, too, but at least she didn't have that irritating dumb blond thing going on.
RobRoy Wrote:Guess I shouldn't have said "everyone". I still prefer Marion. Any woman who can drink a giant Nepalese under the table, then fight her way, while drunk, out of a burning bar is the girl for me. :wow:

I think my problem with her is she comes across as tough and capable in the bar scenes but after that she's mostly a whiney damsel-in-distress. While as Willie gets gradually less whiney and more self-reliant.
Zagor Wrote:I think my problem with her is she comes across as tough and capable in the bar scenes but after that she's mostly a whiney damsel-in-distress. While as Willie gets gradually less whiney and more self-reliant.

Interesting. Perhaps you just have a thing for blonds whereas I have a thing for brunettes? :hellohands:

I thought Marion remained reasonably consistent throughout. Recall that she did take out a knife-man with a frying pan, drank Belloq under the table in an attempt to escape, knocked out another German with a pair of wheel-chucks, then shot up a whole bunch of German soldiers and equipment, enabling Indy to continue his UFC competition.

I don't recall Willie doing much of anything except screaming and whining right up to the end, but then again Temple of Doom is one of my least favorite Indy movies. So I haven't committed the thing to memory in nearly the same detail. :bg:

I am glad that I had read the spoilers to a point. I went in not expecting more than a fun time, and that's what I had. I'm glad I didn't read the spoiler about Marion. I agree that it was a tribute film. And Harrison Ford still has it (rowrrrrr) although unless it was the bad sound system in the theater where I saw the film, he seemed to mumble his lines at times- should have spoken more clearly.

As far as the outrageousness of the theme,
I would have prefered ancient, also, but being an SF fan I wasn't too bothered.
:hellohands:
Jammin Wrote:So what did you all think?

I enjoyed it mostly, but was left feeling a little empty.

Indy looked his age through much of the film and although some of the set pieces were very good and there was a lot of humour throughout, it just felt as if everyone was trying a bit too hard. It all felt a bit contrived.

As for the plot well...
I didn't really like the whole alien angle very much. I would have preferred if they had kept things routed on the ground.

Also, I found the ending, although visually spectacular for the most part, was a little weak, with Indy and the others merely spectators rather than participants.

I did like the character of Mutt, and I liked the interplay between Indy, Mutt and Marion.

So mixed feelings. It was fun, but I expected much more than I got.

Actually some of the set pieces as you mentioned were actually done in New Haven. Some of the local Restaurants and parts of Yale were used. They had closed down parts of the streets they used for filming. It was actually fun to go through the movie and say "I know that place" or "that's part of Chapel Street" . It is just one of the many HOllywood East that Connecticut is hoping to be a part of.

ACtually I didn't have a huge problem with considering Spielberg has dealt with Aliens and such in other movies.
Kate
Troll Hunter and catcher Extraordinaire

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Absalom Jones- America's first black priest badlands 1 229 November 22nd, 2021, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Indiana Jones 5 badlands 0 333 June 28th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Harrison Ford and Steven Spielberg "hopeful" for Indiana Jones 5 Michael 0 455 September 14th, 2011, 11:17 AM
  Indiana University professors discuss "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" Michael 0 707 August 5th, 2011, 11:59 AM
  Star Sam Jones Prevented a Flash Gordon Sequel? Boomstick 6 3,743 September 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Inception - Possible Spoilers GamgeeFest 1 589 August 10th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Zagor
  Toy Story 3 - Mild Spoilers RobRoy 8 1,203 July 27th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Knowing - A question and MAJOR SPOILERS RobRoy 3 588 June 1st, 2010, 09:40 AM
  Clash of the Titans - mild spoilers RobRoy 4 701 April 13th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Last Post: Zagor
  Van Helsing (may contain spoilers) Boomstick 66 4,480 April 9th, 2010, 09:48 AM