Dune heads to the screen again
The film rights to Dune have been acquired again, with the intent of making another movie.

First we had the David Lynch version in the 80's, then the Sci-Fi miniseries. Apparently the producers want to make a film that's faithful to the book. I've never read it, but I kind of thought that's what the Sci-Fi miniseries was for.

Anyone know how accurate the previous efforts were relative to the book?

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php...0&id=50530
I first read Dune in high school - so for me that would be more than 3 decades ago (but less than 4 Smile) - I loved it! I immediately put it in the category of a classic (which of course it is). I've re-read it since then (and the sequels), probably a few times, but not recently.

As I remember, the miniseries was mostly faithful to the book - I found it a bit boring. I see that in the Wikipedia articles on the miniseries and the movie, there are sections titled "Departures from the novel", which you can check out if you like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert%27s_Dune
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28film%29
The best that could be said about the movie (in terms of being faithful to the book) was that it was inspired by the book - I thought it was great! Even though it was totally different than the book, somehow I thought it successfully captured some of the spirit of Dune - more so than the miniseries in fact.

Generally I don't like movies that go out of their way to be faithful to a book, particularly a classic. I've already read the book, know the characters and story lines, have my own images of all this ... why would I want to see all that again? Another factor is that seeing my own images replaced by someone else's is a bit annoying. Finally, for most books it is essentially impossible to be totally faithful to the book in movie form (for what I hope are obvious reasons).

I much prefer movies that are inspired by a book - a totally new take on various ideas and themes explored in the book. A good random example that comes to mind is Blade Runner - closely following Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep would have resulted in a really lousy movie I think (instead of the truly amazing movie that by now has become part of the popular culture).

However if enough time has passed so that my images have faded to some degree, then I can enjoy a movie that closely follows the main story line of a book.
Bailey 1729 Wrote:I much prefer movies that are inspired by a book - a totally new take on various ideas and themes explored in the book. A good random example that comes to mind is Blade Runner - closely following Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep would have resulted in a really lousy movie I think (instead of the truly amazing movie that by now has become part of the popular culture).

That's a good point, and I agree.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Trailer for 'Dune' (Royal Houses) Michael 0 245 September 9th, 2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: Trailer for Denis Villeneuve's "Dune" Michael 6 1,389 November 8th, 2020, 11:02 PM
Last Post: namesarehard
  A new version of DUNE is apparantly in the works. Agaricus 8 775 March 5th, 2019, 05:46 PM
  Robert E. Howard's Bran Mak Morn coming to the screen Michael 5 1,038 February 21st, 2010, 03:34 PM
  Silver Screen to the small screen and vise versa jackscolon 7 577 October 18th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Last Post: august
  Netflix to screen movies on location RobRoy 0 395 June 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Captain Marvel coming to the screen Boomstick 5 635 April 22nd, 2006, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Boomstick
  DUNE - TV version - an Alan Smithee film? Galvorn 11 1,420 June 10th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Dune sith lord 6 665 June 3rd, 2005, 06:33 PM
Last Post: sith lord
  Should George Lucas Do a New Dune Movie jorad 21 1,307 October 3rd, 2004, 11:34 PM
Last Post: gonline2