Gafilk
As of now, barring catastrophe, I will be attending GaFilk in Atlanta Jan. 11-13 to sing about Andre, Ringwraiths, Hobbits, Filkers, Doctors(Who? you may ask) Young Jedi's in love, Balrog chefs and RPG's to name a few topics.

Anyone else dropping by? Love to see ya. The Brobdingnabian(or however it's spelled) Bards will be there. Later Kind Folks(or should that be "Filks"):party: :bg: --Paul
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
Paul,
Is there any chance you will record your singing (or have recorded past performances) so that we who cannot attend might enjoy it? (I am stuck here in the sufficiently frozen north until the basketball season is done!) I, for one, am more than curious and would love to hear this art.
And speaking of curious ... I'll bite: Who, may I ask?
Steve
I bet that Paul is talking about: Doctor Who

Isn't this a convention that Jerrie goes to? Perhaps you can get her to bring her trusty recording device.
Irene
You got it Irene on both counts. I've been working on Dr Who filk and Jerrie usually attends(Well, She was there Last year- and it's practically in her own back yard) Later Kind Folks--Paul
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
As far as recording, my old recorder died after many years, & I'm still getting used to the new equipment.

Steven, if you're interested in filk in general, there are two extensive archives on-line, with mp3s available for free download:

http://www.prometheus-music.com/eli/virtual.html
is the virtual filksing and is perhaps the best overall introduction, being organized by topic. You can learn several of the better-known names and various styles.

http://filkarchive.scrumpy.org/
is the filkarchive. They ask that you log in [register], but don't sell your info or send you email of any sort. Over 300 songs are available, under various searching functions, like title, author, etc.

As far as specifically Andre Norton filk, aside from Paul's Goode efforts [Wink], the only other thing I know of is Heather Alexander's album "Songsmith" that goes with Andre's eponymous book. I'm not sure it's still in print, but can post a list of filk dealers you can ask, if you'd like.

Paul, if you'd like to ditch the banquet & hang out again, I could be up for that; just let me know.
I know this is a stupid question, but ... what is filksong? Is it related to folksong? If I never ask, I never know...
Never mind - I did a google search and reviewed the Wikipedia entry and several others. Fascinating information, I didn't realize it started with the old Futurians. I had heard about it before, but never understood what it was. Obviously, I don't get to conventions often enough...
Jerrie,

Thank you for your very kind and helpful note. I will do some boning up, as CR has done (with great leads from both of you!), and I will certainly look for the Songsmith album.
For those of you who didn't check your Wikipedia.

Filk was originally a misprint in a Convention program.

Since the intent was a Science Fiction slant on a Folk song. The spelling, and current meaning caught on.

So a Filk song is a song about Star Trek, Dr Who, Farscape, or Elves.
A definition example is "Carmen Miranda's Ghost is Haunting Space Station 3".

Many Filk songs borrow the melodies from the folk songs you know and love and just change the words. [From BIMBOS OF THE DEATH SUN by Sharon McCrumb] "I've been a wild Jedi for many a year".

Some of the songs are marvelous, and Leslie Fish writes her own original tunes, and sings things about organizing a union on the space station or starting the revolution ["Black Powder"], and then there was the 26 verse song sent in to a themed half hour filk [Pern?], and gamely sung by Leslie Fish. [to the obscure music from a Dr. Seuse cartoon].
Irene
I've never been to a filksing before. I have the Songsmith CD and my daughter (nearly 8) has been requesting "those songs that tell a story" quite a lot lately. Hopefully it will be her introduction into the realm.
Paul (no, the other one)
Captain of the ISS Andre Norton

By vocation, I am a Horta-master
By avocation, I am a reader
By Dream, I am a star-roamer
By choice, I am Andrefan
Paul
Many cons have filk tracks in their programming. Unfortunately, Eeriecon 10 does not seem to be one of these. Maybe later, you can find anther con close to you that has Filk. Good luck. I'm glad I discovered filk before attending an all-filk con. I probably would have been overwhelmed.
Jerrie, ditching banquets to hang out with you is my speciality. Later Kind Folks--Paul:bg:
Try Firebird Arts & Music (http://www.firebirdarts.com) for the Songsmith CD and other filk. In addition to the Songsmith CD, they have a number of CDs featuring Mercedes Lackey's works.

Paul, since your dauther likes songs that tell stories try Heralds, Harpers & Havoc CD. My daughter became interested in sci-fi after hearing me play this CD. She was about 10 at the time. She's 17 now and has worked her way though most of the Lady's books and Mercedes Lackey's books.
Jim
I haven't been to Firebird for a while. Looked up Heralds, Harpers and Havoc and it looks good. Then Celia Eng's Of SHoes and Ships caught my eye with Morgaine at Ivrel. I love the Morgaine books! Can't wait to hear it. Then I saw some others...

There goes my disposable income for the month. Sad

No, wait. I *have* to save some out for books. I need to win the lottery! That way I can give up my job and concentrate on reading and writing. Smile
Paul (no, the other one)
Captain of the ISS Andre Norton

By vocation, I am a Horta-master
By avocation, I am a reader
By Dream, I am a star-roamer
By choice, I am Andrefan
That Cecilia Eng CD has been on my wish list for a while.

Also on Firebird Arts' websight:
I have a couple of Golden Bough's CDs and they are good but, at least the one's that I have are traditional folk rather than filk.

I like David Arkenston's work as well but it is intrumental (new age).

I guess I should say that I have no relationship with the Firebird folks other than I have purchased a number of CDs and books from them over the years.
Jim
Tanya Huff, Juanita Coulson, and Peter Beagle showed up and a great Time was had by all. For those of you familiar with Filk, The B-Bards, Tom Smith, Cat Faber and two of the members of Urban Tapestry and one guy from Emerald Rose also enlivened festivities. As promoted, GaFilk was indeed a "relaxicon" Later Kind Folks--Paul
Paul G.: Glad you had a fun and relaxing time. And thanks for sharing the experience with us. I learned about something I knew little about previously. Next convention I go to, I may just have to listen in on some 'filking'!
Listeners are welcome. In fact, some filk cons have Listener Guests. If they're doing bardic style [which is going around the circle taking turns], when it's your turn, you always have the option to say "pass." If you don't have a song, you can also always ask for a song [or story, or poem] on a topic. Cats, computers, chocolate, dragons, rockets, etc. are always popular general topics. You could also ask for a specific fandom: Pern, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Dr. Who, Lois Bujold, etc. Music styles range from folk, to rock, to jazz, etc. I hope you enjoy the music. There tends to be lots of socializing nearby too, which is lots of fun.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OT (sort of) GaFilk Paul Goode 0 432 December 10th, 2015, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Paul Goode
  GaFilk Paul Goode 0 464 January 7th, 2014, 01:50 PM
  GaFilk Paul Goode 1 566 January 9th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Jerrie
  GaFilk Paul Goode 0 841 January 2nd, 2012, 10:17 PM
  GaFilk Paul Goode 20 2,196 January 16th, 2011, 06:04 PM