The Zero Stone
Just finished re-reading The Zero Stone and Uncharted Stars. It has been about ten years since I read them last. I had forgotten just how fascinating the story was. If I had to pick a favorite Norton it would have to be The Zero Stone.

How about everybody else? What is your favorite Norton?

I am now re-reading Moon of Three Rings...

Angela Smile
My favorite book has always been ICE CROWN.

But, there are only a couple of books that I don't like, mostly because they are written in a "style". There is one book that I like, but have problems re-reading (STAND TO HORSE is way to anxious for me.)

I just re-read HANDS OF LYR, SCENT OF MAGIC and MIRROR OF DESTINY.
Irene
My default favorite would have to be _Moon of Three Rings_. My uncle gave it to me; it was my first Norton; and the Robin Jacques cover kicks colossal keister. It slurped me right in and is still an extremely compelling and vivid read, decades later. No one else can capture that familiar-enough-to-identify-with-but-still-excitingly-alien feel to a story like Andre Norton.

Good discussion, Angela; keep it up!

Jerrie
Jerrie, I agree with you that Moon of Three Rings is great "familiar yet so alien", having just finished it, but Zero Stone was my first Norton, hence will always be my fav...Have you read Exiles of the Stars the sequel to Moon? I think the same artist probably did the cover of Exiles, Zero, and Uncharted Stars...they all appear to be done in the same style...

Angela
You're right, Angela; Robin Jacques did all three, as well as the cover for an edition of _Steel Magic_ [not to mention lots of Joan Aiken books, starting with _Black Hearts in Battersea_, _Nightbirds on Nantucket_, etc. in that series].

Irene, did Robin Jacques ever do any other Norton covers?

Jerrie
I believe there is one more Robin Jacques illustrated dustjacket, "Dragon Magic", Thomas Crowell 1972. There is also the cover of the Scholatic Books edition of "Gray Magic" which is actually "Steel Magic"

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wind in the Stone - Discussion Lots-A-Watts 7 647 June 24th, 2019, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Irene
  The Zero Stone Discussion Marron4Gateau 0 305 September 9th, 2018, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Marron4Gateau
  Andre Reading Club--Wind In The Stone Paul Goode 13 794 February 5th, 2015, 10:09 AM
  Andre Reading Club-- The Zero Stone Paul Goode 1 421 July 18th, 2013, 07:31 AM
  Free Traders, Zero Stone and Solar Queen Fin 21 4,256 October 21st, 2005, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Paul B.