Filters
I am under the impression that "bollocks" is an obscenity. It is synonymous with the plural of "ball".

So how come "bollocks" is not censored, but the three-lettered synonym for "donkey" is censored? I tried posting an excerpt of the Epic of Gilgamesh in the Fanfics forum:

"My friend, My younger brother,
he who hunted the wild *** of the wilderness and the panther of the plains,
my friend, my younger brother who seized and killed the Bull of Heaven and overthrew Humbaba in the cedar forest,
my friend who was very dear to me and who endured dangers beside me,
Enkidu my brother whom I loved, the end of mortality has overtaken him."

I slapped my forehead when I saw the 3 asterisks!!
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
Moving to Feedback Forum.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I honestly couldn't tell you as I didn't set up the filters, but I'm assuming that because "bollucks" is mostly a U.K. term like "bloody", and because our forum owner, Michael, and our forum techie, Dixie, are American, that they simply overlooked it.

Along the same line the opposite of sans, which can also be considered a rather vulgar term, is also filtered. I use the term on occasion and have had to work around it when posting.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Well. Hmmm. I came to this forum to ask a question about posting problems and saw this thread you started, Coconut. The big question I have now is what this has to do with "Gays, lesbians, bisexuals"......? Some bait and switch tactic, or am I just competely clueless?

Anyway, regarding your actual question, if it makes you feel any better, listen to this: think about the word "oop" and spell it backwards.... naughty me, I used this word, which legitimately occurs in the name of one of the characters in The Mikado (Nanki-p**), and IT was censored just like your innocent use of *****. Come on now!
Can't sleep. Clowns will eat me.
Quote:Originally posted by Dixieberry
Well. Hmmm. I came to this forum to ask a question about posting problems and saw this thread you started, Coconut. The big question I have now is what this has to do with "Gays, lesbians, bisexuals"......? Some bait and switch tactic, or am I just competely clueless?

This is because the original post was in a thread, and RobRoy the administrator broke it off and put it here, but didn't know how to change the title.

Quote:Anyway, regarding your actual question, if it makes you feel any better, listen to this: think about the word "oop" and spell it backwards.... naughty me, I used this word, which legitimately occurs in the name of one of the characters in The Mikado (Nanki-p**), and IT was censored just like your innocent use of *****. Come on now!

While it might be annoying, the forums were established under the general premise of a PG or PG-13 rating. The filters were established to help enforce that premise and make the job of moderation that much easier by restricting the use of certain . . . shall we say "colorful phrases". I know that, as I mentioned above, some terms are completely harmless and innocent in certain contexts, and the filters edit them anyhow. But this is better than removing the filters and allowing any kind of language to be used which would certainly be offensive and out of line.

It's a trade-off, but SF-FANDOM prefers to err on the side of caution.

I agree and appreciate the filters, even if you sometimes have to change around your wording. My most surprising experience with this was on another forum when I innocently tried to write 'sauer kraut' and the 'kraut' was starred out. How embarrassing. Blush
Buying and collecting fabric is the goal. If you actually DO something with it, you're an overachiever.

MYCode Guide