Fan blog analyzes personalities of Feanor's sons
I cannot do the post justice but I'll excerpt the first part of each son's section. Read the full post on Feanor's seven sons here. I'll come back to this thread when I have more time (perhaps over the weekend).

Quote:Maedhros: The quintessential case for predestination in the Silmarillion, this Firstborn of the Dispossessed exhibits many of the qualities that inspire. From his steadfast loyalty to Fingon and his idealistic courage in treating with his enemies, to his humble deference in yielding the high kingship to Fingolfin, Maedhros at his best embodies the qualities of noble sacrifice. Though he ended as badly as ever he feared during his sojourn in Middle-earth, a deeper study of his achievements reveals more wisdom than folly; for Maedhros was the eventual founder of what was perhaps the first international coalition, the Union that bore his name. In establishing this multi-racial mutual defense pact, Maedhros showed a recognition of the importance of building from strength. Like his more sympathetic and well-beloved kinsman Finrod Felagund, whose biography deserves its own section, he built to last: not only did the hill of Himring and the March of Maedhros that it protected endure for four and a half centuries (nearly throughout the Wars of the Jewels), but it accrued considerable military power. In the middle years of the First Age, it was sufficient to maintain the century-long siege of Angband; in the waning years of the Noldor foothold, it was still great enough to foster a human culture that was to form the basis of the Dunedain kingdoms.

... skipping paragraphs ...

Maglor: This second son of Feanor was perhaps remembered as the most merciful one of the lot. His surprising ability to love and mentor his captives, the children of his erstwhile enemies, is of an epic quality - perhaps not so very surprising given his vaunted talents as a poet and a minstrel. Together with Maedhros, he adopted the sons of Earendil and Elwing, and Tolkien records that he formed a special bond with them....

Celegorm, Caranthir, and Curufin: These "dark sons" of Feanor took the worst aspects of Dear Old Dad's personality and made a pasttime of inflicting them on unsuspecting denizens of Middle-earth, from Haleth to Beren to Orodreth. Yes, they were pretty much a trio of putzes, and hardly anyone shed a tear when they bit it trying to take the Silmaril of Beren from Dior.

... skipping paragraphs ...

Amrod and Amras: There isn't as much to say here, considering that (according to Tolkien's later drafts of The Silmarillion) Amras actually died in the burning of the ships at Losgar before the Noldor even made landfall in Middle-earth. His twin Amrod, on the other hand, survived all five of the major battles of the Wars of the Jewels, and died only in the Third Kinslaying at the mouths of Sirion. To him can only be accorded the accolade of survival for five centuries of a most perilous age.

... skipping paragraph ...

It's about time we came back to the bad boys of Tolkien's Legendarium.

How do you size them up?
Feanor's sons always seemed to me particularly tragic, in that their opportunities to fully develop and realize own considerable gifts (each some portion or aspect of the prodigious giftedness of their father?) were stunted and blighted by the blasphemous Oath they swore.

Maedhros, e.g., could have been a great ruler, general, & diplomat, but the Oath, & the Kinslaying it engendered, created enemies where he should have been able to find allies and vassals.

That, I think, was a parable JRRT deliberately embedded in the Sil. Ultimately, the Oath and the feud with Indis' sons, were manifestations of Feanor's outsize overweening Pride, probably the greatest case of Pride ever in any of the Eruhini.
Many Defeats & Many Fruitless Victories Memoirs Gateway
For I was talking aloud to myself...the old...choose the wisest person present to speak to...
Well, I've found time for those comments.

Maedhros - I think that in several ways he was the opposite of his father. Maedhros, unlike Feanor, was moved by compassion. He could be as stern and proud as his father at time, unyielding, and capable of great evil. But he was also more open to mediation than his father and some of his brothers.

Maglor - I think Maglor was probably more spiritual than his brothers. His love for music would have, I think, made him especially sensitive to the themes of the Ainulindale. Maglor seems to have been the least inclined toward evil among his brothers. Whereas Maedhros probably was a firebrand, being the leader of his family and the Feanorian Noldor, Maglor was probably better suited to be an advisor and confidante.

Celegorm - He seems to have been the least stable of the group. I infer from Celegorm's inability to charm an Elf lady into becoming his wife that he must have seemed very mean and bitter. Of course it could also be that he loved a conservative girl who never left Valinor, but somehow I think the attempted rape of Luthien implies that Celegorm was just plain mean.

Curufin - Curufin, being very much like his father in gifts and interests, may have been the most intelligent and perhaps the most analytical and calculating among them. One has to wonder whom he married and if Celebrimbor was his only son.

Caranthir - He could be called "Mr. Rage" and was apparently so haughty and cold-blooded that his offer to protect Haleth's people seems very surprising. It may be that Caranthir was moved most by courage and warlike deeds.

Amrod and Amras - It seems to me they would have had the gentlest natures among the seven, perhaps because they were the youngest and favored by their mother. Their names may also have set them apart from the other five brothers. I think that the long-held tradition of their being hunters in eastern Beleriand, largely uninvolved with the siege of Angband, implies that though they were faithful to their oath they were not as interested in fulfilling it as their brothers. I don't know that Tolkien's decision to have one die at Losgar would have changed the fate of the other.
Michael Wrote:Curufin - Curufin, being very much like his father in gifts and interests, may have been the most intelligent and perhaps the most analytical and calculating among them. One has to wonder whom he married and if Celebrimbor was his only son.
I also wonder if Celebrimbor was born in Valinor or Middle-earth.

Does Feanor have any other grandsons other than Celebrimbor?

While I agree with what has been said about Curufin, we should not forget the scorn and insults that he heaped upon Eol, hastening the Dark Elf in pursuit of Maeglin and Aredhel, and thus to Gondolin. I suggest it is not too far a stretch to say that the arrival of Eol in Gondolin and his subsequent execution by Turgon was the tipping point for Maeglin's eventual treachery, and that Curufin is therefore complicit in Gondolin's fall.

I point out that Curufin said to Eol "...And this counsel I add: return now to your dwelling in the darkness of Nan Elmoth, for my heart warns me that if you now pursue those who love you no more, never will you return thither."

So it would seem that Curufin had some foresight as to what would befall Eol if he pursued his son and wife. Yet by his very words he egged Eol on that very course. And only because he was so angered by the words of Curufin did Eol ride hard and fast enough in pursuit to arrive in time to follow his wife and son into Gondolin.

Curufin also told Eol which way his family had gone, further aiding and speeding Eol's pursuit.

I am not saying that Curufin foresaw that Gondolin's fall would result from his treatment of Eol.
If some Disney-princess can do it, why not Sauron?
I guess Celebrimbor was the last of Feanor's descendants, which is kind of sad. It seems like any wives of Feanor's sons may have either stayed in Valinor or else they refused to bear children in exile.
That certainly puts a different spin on the expression "The Dispossessed". Chicks don't dig Exiles.
"Never ask an Elf for advice, for he will say both 'Yes' and 'No'." - Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When were the captive sons released? Mordomin 14 493 November 2nd, 2019, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Bacchus
  On the Tolkien Society Blog: The Myth of the Tolkien Elf Michael 10 644 November 20th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Mordomin
  The Tolkien Society Launches New Blog Michael 1 417 June 7th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Blog post about hobbit houses Michael 0 389 January 5th, 2012, 02:45 AM
  Video: Peter Jackson's 5th video blog for "The Hobbit" FilmGuy 1 345 December 26th, 2011, 07:35 PM
  Movie blog badlands 2 477 June 12th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Elrond's sons badlands 7 1,681 January 4th, 2010, 12:41 AM
  sons of elrond badlands 27 2,510 March 22nd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Doncoriel
  Del Toro analyzes Tolkien Michael 0 771 October 5th, 2008, 01:19 PM
  Fan blog looks at Tolkien's letters and September 21 Michael 0 1,020 September 19th, 2007, 01:27 PM