Robert Jordan, deceased.
I was checking http://www.applegeeks.com, and a post said Robert Jordan has died. And the wikipedia article about him has just updated... it's very new.

I guess Wheel of Time will never be finished...
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
Coconut Ent Wrote:I was checking http://www.applegeeks.com, and a post said Robert Jordan has died. And the wikipedia article about him has just updated... it's very new.

I guess Wheel of Time will never be finished...

Jordan passed away on Monday to the great sadness of his many fans who had watched him battle his illness since he announced it.

The sweet part of this bitter-sweet tale is that Jordan put his notes together for his final book of The Wheel of Time series, so that in the event he did not get to finish it, another author could be enlisted and complete the series for his fans. He had some amazing fan support, who checked his personal blog and website every day, and I would wager it was part of what kept him going as long as he did.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Aww really?

I'm on book five of his series, and I really liked them. However, progress has been slow due to my education.

But that's really sad that he's passed...I got books 10 and 11 for christmas and was one day hoping to own the whole set. Or at least finish it.

Robert Jordan, may you rest in peace.
Don't do nothing.
Captiang Wrote:I'm on book five of his series, and I really liked them. However, progress has been slow due to my education.

:laugh:

I assume you mean that you've occupied with studies and don't have time to do other reading.
Boomstick Wrote::laugh:

I assume you mean that you've occupied with studies and don't have time to do other reading.

Haha yes, I'm occupied. Not because of my lack of education. :poke:
Don't do nothing.
Captiang Wrote:Haha yes, I'm occupied. Not because of my lack of education. :poke:

I, on the other hand, don't lack in education, just in ability. :bounce:

I've decided, having finished my most current series of reading, to re-read The Wheel of Time series, somewhat in a tribute to Mr. Jordan's passing.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Coconut Ent Wrote:I guess Wheel of Time will never be finished...

Like you actually believed it was going to be, anyway.

Not to speak ill of the dead, but why would he kill his billion page meal ticket?
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Mike of Quantum Muse Wrote:Not to speak ill of the dead, but why would he kill his billion page meal ticket?

Ummm . . . isn't he a little beyond the need for a meal ticket at this point? Huh

RobRoy Wrote:Ummm . . . isn't he a little beyond the need for a meal ticket at this point? Huh

What I meant was, did anybody think that if he wasn't dead he'd actually finish the Wheel of Time series?

I mean, as long as he can type another thousand pages of LOTR fanfic meets When Harry Met Sally with no resolution in sight, and people will line up for volume 34, why stop?

If he finished it, then sooner or later the liquor cabinet would be empty again, but this time, he'd need to actually come up with a new plot and characters.

Why bother? He was like the Steven Segal of fantasy writers. Just keep plugging away on the same formula and cashing those checks.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Mike of Quantum Muse Wrote:Why bother? He was like the Steven Segal of fantasy writers. Just keep plugging away on the same formula and cashing those checks.

Oh, gotcha. I tend to agree. I don't recall my exact take on the last novel, although I believe I enjoyed it more than the previous four or five. I'll have to go dig out my review from General Authors. Prior to that, though, they definately seemed to be a drag on page-count padding exercise.

I'd like to think that he didn't do it on purpose, that there was some grand scheme and that twelve (??) was the goal in mind all along. That might be a wee bit naive, though.

Edited to add link to my review of Knife of Dreams.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Robert Reich on Austerity Economics Michael 0 60 April 5th, 2021, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Robert A. Monroe: Journeys Out of the Body Nightspore 1 420 November 21st, 2013, 07:14 PM
  RIP Robert Culp, star of "I, Spy" Michael 3 691 March 25th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Patrick Swayze, deceased Coconut Ent 4 601 December 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Luweewu
  Stephen Gately, deceased Coconut Ent 1 448 October 11th, 2009, 03:50 PM
  Arthur C. Clarke, deceased Coconut Ent 5 572 March 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Last Post: BUSTERHAWK
  Robert Goulet Dies Boomstick 12 804 November 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Boomstick