Christian writers continue to misunderstand 'Harry Potter'
RobRoy Wrote:<shrug>

This doesn't change the fact that religious intollerance is not "a relatively modern idea somehow rooted in political corectness". That's simply not the case.

I think you misunderstood me on this one.

What I was trying (and obviously failed) to say was that "religious intolerance" as an argument is a relatively new concept. ie, the concept of preventing people from doing things by accusing them of religious intolerance (whether appropriate or not), or the conecpt of avoiding certain topics for fear of being accused of religious intolerance. This affects the way people write.

My maths teacher at school used to make fun of the word Xenophobiphobia - the condition of disliking people that dislike those who are different. Maybe the next step will be Xenophobiphobiphobia. Or in the religious version, making unfair and inappropriate use of the religious intolerance label is also a form of intolerance (same for the racist label etc).
A positive version of any one religion will immediately draw some measure of ire, no matter how limited, from adherants of almost any other religion.

I don't deny that, but the criticism will be misplaced for the reasons I stated previously, and I think that any reasonably enlightened Muslim would see that (if the book were Christian) - or any reasonaly enlightened Christian (if the book were Muslim).

It cannot be the purpose of literature to escape criticism or debate at all costs. Some criticism is always a good starting point for debate and so shouldn't be shunned. Sometimes literature needs to provike people and stir things up and maybe even intentionally exaggerate or overstate things in order to get readers out of their comfort zone. Rowling certainly does this in other aspects, which makes it all the more surprising that she prefers to be meek as a lamb when it comes to religion.
Maybe. If it wasn't religion, then it was race, nationality, region, heck even age and sex or sexual preference. Those animosities are rooted in difference. Whether or not it's a naturally occuring event, humans seem to equate different with bad, and have done so down through history, even without it being "stirred up and cultivated".

I think there is a big difference between distrust based on ignorance, which normally vanishes once you get to know the other guy a bit better - and actually going over to his house and clobbering him one.

There are a lot of people who I don't feel comfortable with, but I never had the urge to be nasty to them because of it.

That's what tolerance is about. If you don't love somebody you can still tolerate him and give him a fair chance.
Uh, no. Actually the argument is...

By reading a HP book, I am so gullible i believe I can do magic. I wasn't 'born' with the ability, but still, there's enough 'instructions'/descriptive phrases etc.

And, by some weird 'twist of fate', 'something happens', that I actually TRIED to 'magic' into existence. A good thing, a bad thing, it really doesn't matter.

So, now I believe I can 'do magic'. Well, It's JR's 'fault', I tried it in the first place.

It's the same mentality that says Superman is 'responsible' for generations of 'little boys' tying towels and blankets around their respective necks and 'trying to fly.'

If you need to be 'protected' from the world, fine, don't read, and don't image, it just gets you into trouble.

BUt the problem is, we ALL don't need to be.
shadowfax Wrote:It cannot be the purpose of literature to escape criticism or debate at all costs . . . [snip] Rowling certainly does this in other aspects, which makes it all the more surprising that she prefers to be meek as a lamb when it comes to religion.

Her choice. She obviously didn't want to get into that area for any number of reasons, perhaps even some of the reasons that we've cited. I see no reason to fault her for that, or even to consider her "meek as a lamb" for leaving out that or any other social-debate question from her mix.

Quote:I think there is a big difference between distrust based on ignorance, which normally vanishes once you get to know the other guy a bit better - and actually going over to his house and clobbering him one.

Human history disagrees with you completely.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Actor Leslie Phillips, voice of Harry Potter Sorting Hat, dies aged 98 Michael 1 61 November 10th, 2022, 05:18 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Harry Potter vs Encanto badlands 3 379 March 2nd, 2022, 01:06 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Harry Potter exhibit badlands 0 275 February 20th, 2022, 09:43 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Slavery in Harry Potter badlands 1 355 February 7th, 2022, 09:33 PM
  Is Harry Potter really Moaning Myrtle? badlands 3 364 February 6th, 2022, 04:12 AM
  Harry Potter game badlands 2 1,032 March 14th, 2021, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Harry Potter bar badlands 3 674 February 5th, 2021, 03:59 PM
  HBO Harry Potter reboot badlands 1 546 January 31st, 2021, 12:24 PM
  Harry Potter theories badlands 10 1,386 November 5th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: august
  Did Harry Potter die? badlands 3 777 November 5th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Last Post: august