Is Snape Dumbledore's Man? [Spoliers for Deathly Hallows]
Darq Ali Wrote:[But by his own representations, Snape served Dumbledores' ends in the war against LV only out of his love of Lily.

That makes him a man who served his own ends; "out for himself"; or, at best, "Lily's man".

Not Dumbledores'.

Not at all. Snape took sides because of his motivations. But he served out Dumbledore's will.

Quote:Note: I gather you are taking the view that Harry represent's Harry's voice, and Harry's viewpoint exactly mirrors the author's at every turn. But that means, Harry never does anything wrong, never has "unjust" thoughts, and so forth. When he spends most of Order of the Pheonix seething with anger at the entire Wizarding World, including his friends, JKR is angry at them too ?

Doesn't make sense to me.

An Author's Voice does not represent the author herself. Rather boring if that were the case. Instead, the Author's Voice is used to convey thoughts, emotions, messages, etc. held by the author. That does not mean said character will be free from error, mistakes, misjudgements. Simply that in the final analysis, we can see the author's point of view (to whatever extent) via that character.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:Not at all. Snape took sides because of his motivations. But he served out Dumbledore's will.

An Author's Voice does not represent the author herself. Rather boring if that were the case. Instead, the Author's Voice is used to convey thoughts, emotions, messages, etc. held by the author. That does not mean said character will be free from error, mistakes, misjudgements. Simply that in the final analysis, we can see the author's point of view (to whatever extent) via that character.

Doesn't this vary with the book?

JKR has things to tell us. The story is the means by which she does so.

Sometimes Harry is the vehicle; his thoughts, his actions, his motives, his emotions.

But other people represent the Author's messages, too.

For example, Parenthood, and the duties of Mothers and Fathers are major points. Lily's act to save Harry, Molly's greatest fear manifested by the Boggert, and Narcissa's fears for, and attempts to assist, her son Draco all illustrate this {as do other characters and their actions; the Dursleys' treatment of Dudley serving as a negative model, for example}.

Harry may serve the same, and often does as the protagonist. For example, his reaction to Lupin's proposal to come with the Trio on their Horcrux hunt ....... and his speech, about abandoning Tonks now that she is pregant, and what Lupin's friend, James Potter, would have thought about Lupin abandoning his own unborn child, to go off "on an adventure" .......... and later, Lupins' speech on the radio, about Harry trusting his instincts, which 'are nearly always right' ........... all fall into the same catagory.

Each speaks JKR's message about parents.

Harry, otoh, speaks, thinks and acts in ways that sometimes do not mirror JKR's message, attitudes or thoughts. I don't see JKR as an angry person, so "angry Harry" doesn't represent JKR's attitude.

I wholly agree that Harry sees Snape as "Dumbledore's Man". He tells LV exactly that. I do not see this necessiarly as the author's message about Snape, her opinion of the character.
Darq Ali Wrote:Doesn't this vary with the book?

Nopers.

Quote:JKR has things to tell us. The story is the means by which she does so.

Yeppers.

Quote:Sometimes Harry is the vehicle; his thoughts, his actions, his motives, his emotions.

But other people represent the Author's messages, too.

Not in disagreement at all. I was simply defending the concept of Harry as Author's Voice against the assertion that "Harry never does anything wrong, never has "unjust" thoughts, and so forth" void him from that position. This is not the case.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Secrets of Dumbledore - My Initial Thoughts Michael 3 407 September 2nd, 2022, 04:41 PM
Last Post: ZehnWaters
  Video: Trailer 2 for "Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore" Michael 0 329 March 2nd, 2022, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Fan Film: "Severus Snape and the Marauders" Michael 2 507 May 30th, 2016, 01:13 AM
  RIP Professor Snape Paul Goode 3 706 January 17th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Dumbledore is gay? badlands 2 633 October 4th, 2015, 04:29 PM
  Video of Alan Rickman talking about playing Snape BookBug 0 509 January 24th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Last Post: BookBug
  Video: Fan film, "The Greater Good: Dumbledore & Grindelwald" FilmGuy 0 704 January 24th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  the DEATHLY HALLOWS on TV Irene 1 604 December 12th, 2013, 04:23 AM
  My thoughts on "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" Michael 8 1,889 November 27th, 2011, 12:12 AM
  Discussion for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" Michael 0 509 July 13th, 2011, 02:40 PM