The Bourne Ultimatum - Mild Spoilers
There's something unnerving about seeing Jason Bourne behind a handgun. It's not that it's Matt Damon in the role, but this is a character that, since 2002's reboot of the Cold War series, we know is one of the most dangerous men to grace the screen. There is a convincing quality in Damon's eyes as he aims that weapon which makes clear the person on the other end is only a hair-trigger away from having all their afterlife questions answered.

That said, The Bourne Ultimatum, third in the series, finds Bourne on the run . . . again. He's being chased by everyone from CIA assassins (assets, in the coloquial) to overmatched police. He's still hunting his past, and this time a reporter seems to have found some of the peices for him.

Joan Allen is back as Pamela Landy, the Bourne expert, and David Straithairn has a great turn as a Deputy CIA Director Noah Vosen from a clearly Bush administration-esque Agency, who are both after Bourne but for different reasons. Landy wants to bring him in, Vosen wants to bring him down. It all hinges on the ubiquitous "Blackbriar" which is (unsurprising) a "Treadstone" upgrade.

As Bourne makes his way across all kinds of European settings, we all know from the trailers that "Bourne is coming home" to the good ole USA, where it all started. Along the way he picks up three-pete Nicky Parsons (Julia Stiles). She provides an enigmatic response to one of the longest peices of dialogue in the movie with Bourne, "Why are you helping me?" which seems to speak of another part of our super-spy's past that has been lost.

The action in Ultimatum as with the first two movies, is almost completely non-stop. Bourne runs from police, dashes up stairs, crashes through windows, and fights it out in tighter and tighter spaces. The herky-jerky hand-held camera actions adds to the "reality" of the movie, while at the same time can add to the headache of the viewer. Usually, I hate that kind of action filming, but perhaps I'm getting used to it, since it didn't bother me nearly as much as in past movies.

The Bourne Ultimatum is definately a good watch. Not necessarily watch in the theater good, since your DVD will convey the same power and scope on the small screen. But this is definately an add-to-your-collection movie. The Bourne series altogether is great fun.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I enjoyed it. Still a little too much shakey-cam for my tastes, too, but it did work most of the time.

One of my friends claimed that the movie actually takes place between some of the events of the second. Is that right? I haven't seen the others for a while, so I couldn't remember.

He claimed the "you look tired" remark to Landy over the phone is the marker for where it picks up to where the second ended.

David Straithairn is fantastic, he really fits the role and was a pleasure to watch him at work.
Boomstick Wrote:One of my friends claimed that the movie actually takes place between some of the events of the second. Is that right? I haven't seen the others for a while, so I couldn't remember.

He claimed the "you look tired" remark to Landy over the phone is the marker for where it picks up to where the second ended.

Can't be, because they reference Bourne's girlfriend getting killed, his coming after Treadstone, and getting the taped confession, then sending it to the CIA rather than CNN.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
At the end of "Supremacy" Bourne goes to Moscow to confess to the girl whose parents he had killed on his first assassination assignment. The movie then jumps ahead in time and place to NYC for a little clip of a scene between Bourne and Landy. Bourne is watching her from an undisclosed location and they're talking on the phone. At the end of the conversation, he tells Landy that she looks tired.

"Ultimatum" begins as Bourne is leaving that girl's house in Moscow, literally as he's walking - ok, limping - out the door, then covers the events from Moscow to that scene in NYC, only we see the other side of it now also. Then the movie continues for another 30 minutes or so to see what happens after that. It rather confused me at first as the movie began why we were back in Moscow again, but I figured it out pretty quickly and from that point on, I was just waiting eagerly for the "You look tired" line. Smile I checked "Supremacy" when I got home and they did a good job matching that final scene in NY, the clothes, the props, the dialogue, everything.

Another thing that confused me was the man who plays the 'big bad' of this movie, not Vosen, but the man who initiated Blackbriar. He looks much too much like the CIA guy from the last two movies (the one who blew his brains out near the end of "Supremacy" and who had Chris Cooper's character done in at the end of "Identity"). For a while there, I thought it was the same guy. The only way I knew for sure it was supposed to be someone else was that Nicky says she has never seen him before, and that Jason didn't recognize him either. But I swear, they're practically identical.

I had a little bit of identy crisis with the British reporter and the actor who plays Marie's brother also, since they cut between those scenes almost seamlessly. Couldn't they have found actors with different coloring? Make the reporter a blond or something? Wink But once I saw the reporter again, there was a clear difference between the two actors. The reporter is somewhat pale and waifish, while the brother is more filled out and his face is rounder.

Other than the confusion over character identity, I very much enjoyed the movie. It was everything the last two Bourne movies had been and did not disappoint in the slightest. The herky-jerky camera moves don't bother me, so I didn't really notice it. I'll be buying this one, and I just might see it again on the big screen.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
RobRoy Wrote:Can't be, because they reference Bourne's girlfriend getting killed, his coming after Treadstone, and getting the taped confession, then sending it to the CIA rather than CNN.

Thank you. My friends comments didn't seem right to me, but I couldn't connect the dots, so I let it go at the time.

Edit: Waitamminnit....now I read Gamgee's post and I'm confused all over again.... :bg:
Boomstick Wrote:Thank you. My friends comments didn't seem right to me, but I couldn't connect the dots, so I let it go at the time.

Edit: Waitamminnit....now I read Gamgee's post and I'm confused all over again.... :bg:

Take Gamgee's post over mine. I haven't watched the second movie since it was released. It just seemed to me that these events were chronologically seperate from those in the second film.

Gamgee is quite correct. The first half of Ultimatum (up until that scene) takes place before that final scene in Supremacy.

They didn't match the scene exactly, but pretty close. In one, the phone vibrates and in the other it rings apparently.
Tongue
Havent seen it yet. Down under we are 20 years behind every one else.
A funny comment was made about Matt Damon by a Canadian Comedian living here. "Saving Private Ryam" a 3 hour film staring a young matt damon. If the company assigned to finding private ryan had been gay they would have found him in 30 mins.
:crazy: If at first you dont succeed, skydiving may not be for you! :crazy:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Bourne Franchise: An Overview RonPrice 6 469 November 21st, 2014, 04:42 AM
Last Post: RonPrice
  Expendables and Bourne legacy badlands 1 802 September 7th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: Trailer for "The Bourne Legacy" FilmGuy 0 528 February 13th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  No Bourne in next Bourne movie? GamgeeFest 4 570 October 17th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Inception - Possible Spoilers GamgeeFest 1 592 August 10th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Zagor
  Toy Story 3 - Mild Spoilers RobRoy 8 1,206 July 27th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Knowing - A question and MAJOR SPOILERS RobRoy 3 591 June 1st, 2010, 09:40 AM
  Clash of the Titans - mild spoilers RobRoy 4 705 April 13th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Last Post: Zagor
  Van Helsing (may contain spoilers) Boomstick 66 4,482 April 9th, 2010, 09:48 AM
  AVATAR - James Cameron did it! *may contain spoilers* Luthien_001 23 2,236 January 22nd, 2010, 11:05 AM