What did you find funny in Deathly Hallows? {spoilers}
For all the dark tone of this last book, I found humor throughout. What did you find funny?
O.K., I'll list but one of many:

When the Trio departs The Burrow, they discover Hermionie really has made them totally prepared for just about all possible events, by packing her wonderous beaded bag, and having it on her person just in case. This they find as she directs them down a dark side street, and pulls Muggle clothing from the bag, so that they can change into outfits suitable for the Muggle world into which they have fled.

And then comes the escapade in the grimy diner, when Death Eaters appear ........ and Ron complains that he has trouble getting his wand out of his pocket, for Hermionie has packed his old jeans, and he can't get his wand out of his pocket, they are so tight ...........

Where upon Hermionie mumbles a suggestion where he might keep his wand, rather than in his pocket ..........
A few lines earlier was another funny scene, when Harry, Ron and Hermione just managed to escape Molly Smile
Hermione selected the books she wanted to take with them - and Ron said: 'I forgot we'll be hunting down Voldemort in a mobile library'
This was so typical Ron's humor that I couldn't help laughing ^^
Leben Sie lange und in Frieden!
The twins, when they drank the polyjuice, "Hey, we look alike!"
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:The twins, when they drank the polyjuice, "Hey, we look alike!"

That was totally one of my favorites ........ that they were 'twin Harrys', and looked alike; as if they had discovered something strange ..... when we first met them, they were described as 'identical down to the last freckle .......'

And this was followed by Fred {? I think it was Fred} saying, he still thought he was better looking .......
Fred's exasperation at George's 'holy/holey' joke. :bg:
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
How about the observation of the adult Dursleys' surprise at Dudley's change of heart about Harry, and concern {if they had to go into hiding, that Harry wasn't included in the magical protection with them}:

"Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia froze where they stood, staring at Dudley as though he had just expressed a desire to become a ballerina ......"

I must say too that the point of Dudley's maturity was doubly made for me, by the description of Dudley as "Harry's large, blonde, muscular cousin .......", rather than a very fat boy, as well as his painfully expressed observation that Harry wasn't, in his opinion, "a waste of space"; that Harry had, in fact, "saved his life"; and his clear concern that Harry would also be protected from whatever menace was forcing his family to go into hiding.

I was amazed that all this growth could come from Dudley, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, while no similar growth seemed to come from Draco, who was equally mean in spirit through all the books, but who was far more intelligent than Dudley, and who had suffered so much more for his 'bad choices ' ........... Guess I wanted more from Draco; his mother 'grew', indeed echoed Lily in her love for her son ........... no such growth from Draco . Odd, that.
Darq Ali Wrote:Guess I wanted more from Draco; his mother 'grew', indeed echoed Lily in her love for her son ........... no such growth from Draco . Odd, that.

[thread sway]
Oh, I don't know. Consider how Draco ended up. He and Harry did not remain at each other's throats. He faltered when he confronted Dumbledore on his mission to kill him, and wavered at Dumbledore's words.

Further, he had a son, and despite the name, sent him to Hogwarts even in light of Draco's words on being sent to Durmstrang. His nod to Harry, though hardly the hand-shacking, back-patting of old rivals-turned-friends, was regarded (IIRC) as the same thing coming from Draco to Harry within the text of the book (please correct me if I remember this incorrectly).

Personally, I think Draco and Dudley grew quite a bit. They both seemed to be products of their environment, rather than predisposed bigots, and confronted with that, and with Harry's genuine goodness, they couldn't help (well, they could, but didn't) but change their world view, even if only slightly.

That's actually quite a bit when related the concepts of bigotry and hatred from birth.
[/thread sway]

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
"Our headmaster is taking a short break" Said Professor McGonigal, pointing through the snape-shaped hole.

I laughed so hard when I read this.
Lt. Joe Wrote:"Our headmaster is taking a short break" Said Professor McGonigal, pointing through the snape-shaped hole.

I laughed so hard when I read this.

Good one!

I also liked the joke that cracked Fred up so, in the last moments of his life ......... Percy's "Did I mention I'm resigning?" to Thicknesse ......
RobRoy Wrote:[thread sway]
Oh, I don't know. Consider how Draco ended up. He and Harry did not remain at each other's throats.

No, I found their acknowledgment of one-another appropriate.

He faltered when he confronted Dumbledore on his mission to kill him, and wavered at Dumbledore's words.

That was of course in HB Prince, and to me, Draco's high point as to his character development. He could not kill, and he feared for his parents, thus showing he was capable of love.

In Deathly Hallows, I can find little else to redeem Draco. Alright, he was clearly horrified by the fate of the Muggle Studies teacher {and all the other circumstancds of his home occupied by LV}; and he was very reluctant to identify Harry and Hermionie even when pressed, when they were brought to Malfoy Manner, I grant you. But in no way did he seek to aid them.

However, when he ducked out of the Hogwart's evacuation at the last, it wasn't to aid the Good Side, but only to thwart Harry, once again, and seek the favor of LV. Or so I read it. And then, even after Harry helped him {and his friend Goyle} escape certain death, he still pleaded that he was fighting for the Death Eaters. [Yes, that might have been a self-serving claim to save his own hide, but still ....... Ron's punch and taunt seemed right on target and well deserved, to me.]

I found the position of his family at the end interesting, and sad. All were without wands, of course. I took Lucius' loss of his wand at the outset to be a loss of his manhood in a symbolic sense. Yet he never wised up, and sought to mend his ways ..... always he thought only of reestablishing his position with LV, never of admitting he had chosen wrongly in his alliegance to begin with.

The most admirable of them all was Narcissa, who was willing to do anything to save her son. Humiliate herself to Snape, lie to LV, anything. Echos of Lily Potter and Molly Weasley, and I respect her for it.

But Draco offered nothing to Harry by way of apology nor acknowledgment of Harry's great service to Draco, for Harry did indeed risk his life to save Draco, and no one could have blamed him had he not risked it .......... And again, I see Draco as far more intelligent than Dudders, which was why it seemed strange that Dudley could work out what he owed Harry, while Draco didn't seem to.

Further, he had a son, and despite the name,

[Perhaps an old family name?]

sent him to Hogwarts even in light of Draco's words on being sent to Durmstrang.

Interesting point. I had not thought of this, that Draco had made such a point that he would have preferred to attend Durmstrang. A good observation, that he sent his own son to Hogwarts. {Of course, one can only think that the Malfoy family fortunes may have slipped a great deal in the past 19 years ....... it may be that school abroad would have been beyond his means .......... still, a very good and interesting observation, which entirely escaped me.}

His nod to Harry, though hardly the hand-shacking, back-patting of old rivals-turned-friends, was regarded (IIRC) as the same thing coming from Draco to Harry within the text of the book (please correct me if I remember this incorrectly).

Well, yeah. Best he could manage, I suppose. Acknowledge his former enemy with a somewhat respectful gesture. Better than ignoring him totally, and 'better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick', as they say, as well.

Personally, I think Draco and Dudley grew quite a bit. They both seemed to be products of their environment, rather than predisposed bigots, and confronted with that, and with Harry's genuine goodness, they couldn't help (well, they could, but didn't) but change their world view, even if only slightly.

That's actually quite a bit when related the concepts of bigotry and hatred from birth.
[/thread sway]

Yes, they both 'grew',

But with Draco, it seemed to me to mainly be a realization of his own limitations,

While with Dudley, it was more genuine gratitude toward Harry, it seemed to me, which expanded to include concern that Harry would be protected, when he understood that the forces which included the Dementors threatened his entire family. That was a real leap for Dudley, and I saw nothing comparable from Draco, who seemed to the very end of the conflict determined to earn LV's praise, if only he could ........
It is interesting that Slytherin house as such is redeemed because some of its members fight on Harry's side (the only one mentioned is Slughorn, but headmaster Black's remarks imply there were others).

Maybe without this, Slytherin would have been closed down for good and the Malfoy's would have had no choice but to go to Durmstrang.
About the Durmstrang matter, if anyone has the passage in the book at hand, could the reason that he didn't go there be because one has to be of the nationality of the school? The reason this comes to mind is that we had an earlier discussion about only people from Great Britain being in Hogwarts, but I think our discussion was inconclusive. And I really don't want to open a can of worms, so if this question is going to revive hard feelings, I guess that we should skip it.
Arcadia Wrote:About the Durmstrang matter, if anyone has the passage in the book at hand, could the reason that he didn't go there be because one has to be of the nationality of the school? The reason this comes to mind is that we had an earlier discussion about only people from Great Britain being in Hogwarts, but I think our discussion was inconclusive. And I really don't want to open a can of worms, so if this question is going to revive hard feelings, I guess that we should skip it.

I don't think so. At some point it is mentioned that the ministry was introducing new rules that all children had to attend Hogwarts. It is said that previously this was not the case as parents could choose to home-school or send their children abroad.

Also, if all children had to be schooled in their own countries, there would have had to be a great deal more schools than the three participating in the Triwizard tournamnet. Even if these schools chose not to enter that particular tournment we would at least have heard mention of them at some point.
As to the remark of Slythern Former Headmaster Phinies Nigilus Black ........

Asking them to note that Slythern played its' role in LV's defeat ...........

My "take" was, he was speaking primarily of Snape ...........
Hermoine's comment about Harry's Polyjuice potion: "Oh Harry, you look much tastier than Crabbe or Goyle."

Then a short time later when Fluer, looking like Harry, makes goo goo eyes at Bill, Harry hopes to never see that look on his face again. :lol:
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
At the ministry, when Ron shows up and his "wife" asks, "Why are you all wet?"

Ron's response: "Water."

Arthur Weasley saving bits of the wreckage of Sirius' motorcycle because he wants to work out how brakes work.
When Molly brings in Harry's Snitch Cake, Harry says, "That looks Amazing Mrs Weasly" and Ron mouths "Good One". This is right after Ron gives Harry the book on women 4 his b day
"Who is this guy"
"Tank Man? does that sound right? Tank man?"
"Here comes Tank Man, just tankin around town."
The running jokes about Merlin; which I must assume, are common in the Wizarding community.

I think the first was by Ron, at the Burrow, who exclaimed something about "..... what, in the name of Merlin's saggy left ..........." {unfinished}.

Later, at Grimauld Place, Hermionie uses a similar reference: When they recover a Daily Prophet which proclaims Snape Headmaster at Hogwarts, she excaims "Merlin's Pants!" and leaves the kitchen {to grab the portrait of former Headmaster Phinial Nigallus Black, who could spy on them for Snape; and stuff it into her beaded bag}.

And I think Ron, again, "........ what, in the name of Merlin's most baggy Y-fronts ............"

[Didn't look them up, wording may be off a bit; but obviously, Merlin's privates and undergarments are the source of mild oaths or swear words in the Wizarding World ............ I snorted out loud at the though of Merlin wearing y-fronts, which surely would not be invented until centuries after his time; and as for his saggy left ................. < giggle >]

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Trailer for "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" SDCC 2016 FilmGuy 16 1,649 January 1st, 2017, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Michael
  New (ish) book [No spoilers please] Irene 4 772 October 7th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Video: Trailer for "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" FilmGuy 4 1,112 December 20th, 2015, 07:27 PM
  the DEATHLY HALLOWS on TV Irene 1 591 December 12th, 2013, 04:23 AM
  My thoughts on "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" Michael 8 1,855 November 27th, 2011, 12:12 AM
  Discussion for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" Michael 0 491 July 13th, 2011, 02:40 PM
  Pictures: Harry Potter people at Deathly Hallows 2 premiere in London, July 2011 Michael 0 422 July 10th, 2011, 08:31 AM
  Severus Snape poster for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" Michael 0 813 June 1st, 2011, 01:15 PM
  Neville Longbottom featured on new Deathly Hallows poster Michael 0 548 May 30th, 2011, 03:40 AM
  Ciaran Hinds to play Aberforth Dumbledore in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" Michael 2 1,083 January 11th, 2011, 02:36 AM