What did you find funny in Deathly Hallows? {spoilers}
I loved everything about Aberforth - for me, he was easily in my top 3 of the funniest characters in the entire series - just from the scene where he rescues Harry, Ron, and Hermione from the dementors.

Maybe it was more of an ironic humor that he looked so much like Albus, but acted so... not like Albus.

"Stag? Stag?! It was a goat, you idiot!!"

It really makes me giggle to think of those words coming from the mouth of a person who looks like Albus Dumbledore...
Part the mists and look beyond... there you will find Avalon.
What is a y-front?
And what are CVs? Dursley mentions them. There's another term early on that confused me too. Where is that 'British translation' thread? *goes looking*
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
"Y-Fronts" are a form of men's underwear.

I think they would be of similar cut to what we in the U.S. term "Jockey Shorts". The seams in the front do sort of form a "Y".

*sigh* Two nations divided by a common language. I watch "Are You Being Served" and "As Time Goes By" and "Keeping Up Appearances" for practice. It helps. I can't say how many times I had to hear Hycanth urge her husband to "mind the pedestrian" who is "on the pavement" before I caught on, that in England the "pavement" is what I would call a "sidewalk".
Thank you for clearing that up, I was under the impression that Y-Fronts were in relation to Merlin's saggy left...
Darq Ali Wrote:"Y-Fronts" are a form of men's underwear.

I think they would be of similar cut to what we in the U.S. term "Jockey Shorts". The seams in the front do sort of form a "Y".

*sigh* Two nations divided by a common language. I watch "Are You Being Served" and "As Time Goes By" and "Keeping Up Appearances" for practice. It helps. I can't say how many times I had to hear Hycanth urge her husband to "mind the pedestrian" who is "on the pavement" before I caught on, that in England the "pavement" is what I would call a "sidewalk".

Thank you. I thought it had to be that or an undershirt.

And speaking of undershirts and Keeping Up Appearances, how about when Onslow tells Daisy not to wear a vest under her sexy nightie? I have to make a mental translation of the term.

And I never did figure out what are head boys and prefects and how they get to be them and what duties and privileges they have.
Prefects and head boys (girls) and are like the hall monitors and class presidents of US schools. But more so, and always chosen by the school administrators.

Prefects are the hall monitors, in charge of keeping some sort of order in the ranks. We have found that (from reading HP) there is one per grade/sex/house in the 5-7th forums. There is but one HEAD boy and girl in the school. Think of them as the prefects leader. Perhaps organizing hall monitor schedules and the like.

From some of the other reading I have done, (mispent youth), I get the impression that the Head boy/girl needs to have a good accademic record and a clean behaviour record.

There was one Dorthy Sayers book (TV) where the top "boy" in a class was busted for drinking, smoking and playing cards. The school was devistated as he was their first/best hope for to achieve a "first" in his exams. [I assume the exams were like NEWTS, and are nationwide. The better the score the better the chance to go to the best University.]

Now, I just need someone from the UK to correct me.

*** I really must re-read the book - well perhaps this weekend.
Irene
Thank you, Irene! I think I understand now.

Firsts are something that is also confusing to me.
OK. [It might not have been Sayers - maybe Inspector Morse?]

A "first" in an exam is a really high score in the standardized college exams. Think of it as grading an entire country's worth of young people. Maybe like the SAT exams in the US, or the National Scholarship exams, or what I took, the New York State Regents Exam. The top scores are the ones that are high enough for the young person to get a scholarship. Apparently some UK schools don't ever have students getting that very high grade. My bet is that the number of "firsts" a UK school can claim, the more they can charge & the more smart students they can bring in.

I can hardly expect a muggle school like Smeltings putting out scholars. Not with their smelting-sticks. I would definitely expect a school like Eaton having a high number of scholars, as well as children of the wealthy & titled.

I just googled UK public schools
http://www.boardingschools.hobsons.com/a...k_boarding
I bet from there, you can get more information.

OK - so let's assume that the NEWTS are tests taken by every 17-18 year old in the wizarding world. If you get a really high grade, you have a good chance of going for advanced training (Aurors), or getting a good apprenticeship.
Irene

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Trailer for "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" SDCC 2016 FilmGuy 16 1,649 January 1st, 2017, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Michael
  New (ish) book [No spoilers please] Irene 4 772 October 7th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Video: Trailer for "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" FilmGuy 4 1,112 December 20th, 2015, 07:27 PM
  the DEATHLY HALLOWS on TV Irene 1 591 December 12th, 2013, 04:23 AM
  My thoughts on "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" Michael 8 1,855 November 27th, 2011, 12:12 AM
  Discussion for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" Michael 0 491 July 13th, 2011, 02:40 PM
  Pictures: Harry Potter people at Deathly Hallows 2 premiere in London, July 2011 Michael 0 422 July 10th, 2011, 08:31 AM
  Severus Snape poster for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" Michael 0 813 June 1st, 2011, 01:15 PM
  Neville Longbottom featured on new Deathly Hallows poster Michael 0 548 May 30th, 2011, 03:40 AM
  Ciaran Hinds to play Aberforth Dumbledore in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" Michael 2 1,083 January 11th, 2011, 02:36 AM