Order of the Phoenix *SPOILERS!*
I liked the movie. I thought the death was handled gently. It was choppy as far as scenes being put together. The characters were well-chosen. Alan Rickman is showing his age. The movie was also more gentle with Harry about why he couldn't get occullamency (sp?.) I'd like to have seen more Tonks, just because she was so entertaining. Luna was not quite as dreamy as I'd imagined her, but her character seemed realistic. I'm not sure yet whether I'll see it again in the theater or wait until the DVD.
I had several little quibbles with the movie. Slight changes of text that might change meaning.

My major quibble is that the Inquisition Blew away the door to the room of requirement. I wonder how they will handle there being a hole in the wall where a room should be in the next movie, where...

Drat, I cannot figure out how to hide a spoiler..... Well just let it be that this could be important.
Irene
[ spoiler ] post the spoiler here [ /spoiler ]

This is the code. Leave out the spaces. I'm interested in your spoiler. Smile
Arcadia Wrote:I'm interested in your spoiler. Smile
I suspect she was going to say something similar to
To view, use your mouse to select the text:
where Malfoy is working on the vanishing cabinet so he can transfer the Deatheaters into the castle
But we'll see Smile
Umm was Sirius' brother mentioned? i can't recall. if he wasn't then could that mean RAB is someone else?
AJ786 Wrote:Umm was Sirius' brother mentioned? i can't recall. if he wasn't then could that mean RAB is someone else?

He wasn't. But, his uncle was. Oh, happy day! :party:
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
AJ786 Wrote:Umm was Sirius' brother mentioned? i can't recall. if he wasn't then could that mean RAB is someone else?
I can't quite recall either but I don't _think_ he was. But I don't recall seeing the locket either. Of course, I'm old and menopausal so.... :eek:

That doesn't mean RAB is someone else - it could mean that they rework that somehow, which is entirely possible. The movies haven't been anywhere near as nice about dropping hints all over the place the way the book has so it wouldn't surprise me at all if we had it come up in the next movie that Sirus had a brother -
To view, use your mouse to select the text:
perhaps somewhere around the time we're finding out that Harry has inherited the house.
Okay - wasn't sure if that last should be contained in a spoiler tag or not so I tossed it in there just to be safe. There are, after all, many people just watching the movies and not reading the books.

After some thought, it would make more sense to bring him up in the next movie. There's so much in these movies, that (IMHO) it's not really practical to try to make the movie goer remember all the little nuances, subplots, and information that needs to be taken from one movie to the next. The information that Sirus has a brother is not really necessary to OotP, and might be remembered better if brought up in the beginning of HBP. Kreacher wasn't either but having him on screen for a moment or two will allow people to recognize him next time they see him. They'll probably pop him into HBP for a moment or two, just so people don't forget he's around.
Alphard was not mentioned in dialogue, but we did see his name on the family tree in the Black house, I believe just over Sirius's left shoulder when he's talking to Harry.

No locket was shown.

As for the blasting of the Room of Requirement doors and how that might affect the next movie, I don't see why it would. It's the Room of Requirement. If you require a room with a door with no hole, that's what you'll get. Besides, there never was any door there in HBP when Harry kept walking by.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
I saw the film last week. I've never read any Harry Potter books (tried to a few times but Rowling writing style just doesn't appeal to me) so I can't really comment on how close to the book it is, but I thought it was a fun film overall: Umbridge was really detestable and I was pleased to see Lucius Malfoy finally do something rather than just sneer. I think it should have been longer though (and it's rare that I would say that about a film) as the climax was a bit too rushed compared to the first half (Sirius's death was blink-and-you'll miss-it). All in all, not as good as the first 2 films (Chris Columbus should never have left) but more entertaing than the episodic fourth film and the unmentionable third film.

One thing though - for a film called Harry potter and the Order of the Phoenix the Order was only in it for about 10 minutes in total.
Xev, Xev of B3K, join us in our song!
After all, a thousand years isn't very long!
Very interesting posts and opinions.

GamgeeFest - you think Grawp looks like Sam Gamgee? I thought he looked more like Shrek.

I loved the movie. And Harry was made unpleasant enough without making him deliberately sneak into Snape's memories through the Pensieve. I actually liked that change, and I thought it gave a good enough glimpse of the horrible adolescent James to drive home the point, although we don't get enough afterward of how much this tortures Harry.

But the biggest difference in this movie for me was noticing that Daniel Radcliffe has learned how to act. This was the first time I believed it was Harry up there. The second thing was, you can finally see what Hermione sees in Ron. And the last thing was, I could not understand a word Emma Watson said because she spits out her lines so fast they sound like a bunch of nails hitting the wall.

Luna was great. I was worried because the publicity photos made her look too pretty, but the minute she opened her mouth all the goofiness was there. And the skipping down the hall, the placid ride on the thestral some of the rest of you noticed, and that voice!

Things they should not have left out...I was fine with no Quidditch, but Ron should have been made prefect. I think it could have been done quickly enough. I liked that the film was short. The Lord of the Rings films hurt my butt, and my bladder's not what it used to be.
Grawp kind of reminded me of Harry from Harry and the Hendersons. Big expressive eyes, a bit shy, didn't quite know his own strength.
But Shrek is green and Harry is, well, hairy. :tongue: I'm sticking with a deformed Sam Gamgee on this one, though I will have to look closer the next time I see the movie. Smile

gilthoniel Wrote:But the biggest difference in this movie for me was noticing that Daniel Radcliffe has learned how to act. This was the first time I believed it was Harry up there. The second thing was, you can finally see what Hermione sees in Ron. And the last thing was, I could not understand a word Emma Watson said because she spits out her lines so fast they sound like a bunch of nails hitting the wall.

LOL! I think Radcliffe did a rather fine job in GoF also, and he would have gotten through PoA all right had someone taught him how to fake cry. But he certainly was much improved in this movie.

Ron needed more to do. He wasn't even second fiddle. He was last fiddle, behind the tympanis where you couldn't even see him.

I didn't have any trouble understanding Emma. I just wish they had given Rupert an equally meaty role in this movie as they gave her.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
Back to the R.A.B, he wasnt mentioned but seen, on tha wall of No. 12 Grimoald (?) place you saw his name (I think)
"Who is this guy"
"Tank Man? does that sound right? Tank man?"
"Here comes Tank Man, just tankin around town."
Fred Steve Wrote:Back to the R.A.B, he wasnt mentioned but seen, on tha wall of No. 12 Grimoald (?) place you saw his name (I think)

In the drawing room of Grimauld Place, there hangs a tapestry of the Black family tree. Sirius and Harry looked at it together, and Sirius shows Harry how his family is intertwined with other Wizarding families Harry knows, and tells Harry some about his direct family, and his own youth in a household of Dark Wizards.

Sirius himself does not appear; there is a burn on the tapestry where his name has been blasted off, for he was considered a blood traitor after he ran away from home. His uncle Alphred, who left him enough gold that he could leave his family home, was also removed from the tapestry {probably for that reason}.

Tonks' mother {Andromeda} was a sister of Narcissa {Black} Malfoy, and a sister of Bellatrix Black, but she married a wizard who was Muggle-born; and so her name, too, was blasted off.

Sirius' brother Regulus Black appears, but his middle name isn't listed, leaving us to speculate if he might be "R.A.B.", or not, depending upon if he had a middle name which began with "A". Both uncle Alphred and cousin Andromeda would also be possible candidates from the information on the tapestry, for both had initials "A.B."; either or both might have had an unlisted first name starting with "R."

And of course, there were endless other possible candidates people speculated upon, including the theory it could be the centaurs R onan A nd B ane, or, three different wizards, each using but one initial to indicate their identity in the signature of the note.

One must of course read Deatly Hallows to find the answer to the mystery of R.A.B.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New (ish) book [No spoilers please] Irene 4 775 October 7th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Irene
  Symbolism in "Order of the Phoenix" film Michael 4 840 October 10th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Michael
  "Order of the Phoenix" second highest grossing film to date Michael 2 1,677 October 31st, 2007, 10:34 PM
Last Post: tigercat
  Potterverse, Names (spoilers from end of Deathly Hallows) Darq Ali 21 2,783 September 25th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Michael's Take (Spoilers) Michael 198 21,552 September 5th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Theories on The deathly Hallows...Now has spoilers!!! Beware! Fosco_Diggory 91 6,431 August 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM
  Did I Miss Something? (contains spoilers) RobRoy 5 1,308 August 29th, 2007, 11:41 AM
  What did you find funny in Deathly Hallows? {spoilers} Darq Ali 28 2,314 August 22nd, 2007, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Irene
  Dumbledore **spoilers** Lt. Joe 20 1,809 August 17th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Darq Ali
  Rowling tells what happens next - SPOILERS RobRoy 3 793 August 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Darq Ali