Another Snape theory
Darq Ali Wrote:All undone if ......... Snape isn't Snape.

I don't disagree. I just don't find the theory "highly improbable".

On an asside, I'm curious why you put that phrase into quotes for your post. Just my English/Communication inquisitiveness.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:I don't disagree. I just don't find the theory "highly improbable".

On an asside, I'm curious why you put that phrase into quotes for your post. Just my English/Communication inquisitiveness.

Uh, I'm not sure. I just write and it turns out however it does. Probably not a correct use of the punctuation in question, I guess. I work much harder on my spelling, since that is my weakest point in using written English.
Darq Ali Wrote:Uh, I'm not sure. I just write and it turns out however it does. Probably not a correct use of the punctuation in question, I guess. I work much harder on my spelling, since that is my weakest point in using written English.

It wasn't intended as a criticism, so I hope you didn't take it in that vein. My own spelling is atrocious in the extreme, and if not for spell check, online dictionaries and the like, I wouldn't even have a job.

My background and experience have me read anything in quotes as being said by someone else and not necessarily the terms the writer would use, but accepted as the discussion warrents. Sometimes, this is even intended to be said with an emphasis or sarcasm, which changes the tone of the statement. <shrug> So I was just curious. Thanks!:bg:

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Yes, that is the most common use of the punctuaction in question; they are, of course, quotation marks.

However, sometimes in written American English, the same marks are used for some form of emphesis, or, to indicate something is not true; or to mark out a phrase that is trite or a cliche'.
Darq Ali Wrote:However, sometimes in written American English, the same marks are used for some form of emphesis, or, to indicate something is not true; or to mark out a phrase that is trite or a cliche'.

Yeah, hence the reason I said "emphasis or sarcasm". This just usually doesn't occur within the originator's statements, hence my curiosity. :bg:

This was FUN. The theory just popped into my head one day; I ran it by my daughters and they were intrigued, so I posted and got some wonderful discussion. Thanks everyone. By the way My favorite Hippogriff recipe requires tenderized thigh meat marinated in Guiness for twenty-four hours, charcoal grilled to medium and smothered in hollandaise sauce with thinly sliced truffles. Of Course, this requires a strong Red wine to wash it down with. Of necessity, Thestrals require much more preparation...... :laugh: Later Kind Folks--Paul
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
Paul Goode Wrote:This was FUN. The theory just popped into my head one day; I ran it by my daughters and they were intrigued, so I posted and got some wonderful discussion. Thanks everyone. By the way My favorite Hippogriff recipe requires tenderized thigh meat marinated in Guiness for twenty-four hours, charcoal grilled to medium and smothered in hollandaise sauce with thinly sliced truffles. Of Course, this requires a strong Red wine to wash it down with. Of necessity, Thestrals require much more preparation...... :laugh: Later Kind Folks--Paul

If you go over to the Lord of the Rings board, you can call up a thread which starts with an 'Orc Chicken' recipe. I have posted several recipes there, including one for Oliphaunt Stew; one may use that recipe, substituting six dressed Hippogriffs for the 'One Medium Oliphaunt', if desired.
I believe that the Complex person that is Severus Snape, the Half Blood Prince, the Slythern, nerdy-teenager, creative potions and spell creator, hated-by and hater-of James Potter, joiner of the Death Eaters, and regretter of telling Voldmort of the prophesy, IS a person who has a HUGE secret that only Professor Dumbledor knows/knew.

No, one can fake such a love-hate relationship with the people around him without being too good, or too bad. Examples: Hating Harry because of his father. Taunting Serius Black when he has a chance. Making sure that the students know that Professor Lupin is a Werewolf. Taunting one or two students unfairly (Nevill and sometimes Harry), but still managing to teach, and mostly actually teaching well. When given a chance to finally kill Harry, just shouts "Don't ever call me a coward!"

Remember that the "fake" Mooney wasn't very nice. Taught by example, but never really nice. Sometimes Snape can be nice, or at least good, though haughty about it.

I believe that there was a pact between Snape & Dumbledore where, Dumbledore knew that his failure to heal himself after fetching the ring, indicated that he was dying. Together they learned or guessed that Lord V was planning on having Draco Malfoy kill Dumbledore. The plot was hatched to get Snape deeply into Lord V's inner circle by Snape being the one to kill Dumbledore (First book, To the well ordered mind, death is just the next...)

So now, Draco has been shown to "not" be a true killer, and Snape appears to be the bad guy.

Yes, there is lots of stuff to do in the last book. The stay with the Dursleys, the wedding, then back to school, with side trips to look for the missing Horcrux (I didn't remember that "unopenable" locket - clever thinking that.) on Hogsmead weekends. Several small battles, and then the final confrontation between the Death eaters & Dumbledore's Army & Order of the Phoenix.

Oh, sorry everybody. No more time travel. ALL of the time turners were distroyed, or the ones at the Ministry were. My bet is even with time travel, you can only go back hours, not days. Dumbledore was particularly annoying in Hagrids hut before they "beheaded" Buckbeak. Perhaps some of his own fortelling of the future?
Irene
Irene Wrote:I believe that the Complex person that is Severus Snape, the Half Blood Prince, the Slythern, nerdy-teenager, creative potions and spell creator, hated-by and hater-of James Potter, joiner of the Death Eaters, and regretter of telling Voldmort of the prophesy, IS a person who has a HUGE secret that only Professor Dumbledor knows/knew.

Has to be. Harry has to learn this, and accept it, because Snape is not the enemy and must not distract Harry.

No, one can fake such a love-hate relationship with the people around him without being too good, or too bad. Examples: Hating Harry because of his father. Taunting Serius Black when he has a chance. Making sure that the students know that Professor Lupin is a Werewolf. Taunting one or two students unfairly (Nevill and sometimes Harry),

I don't see one bit of this as feigned. This is 'the real Snape'. However it isn't all there is to Snape. but still managing to teach, and mostly actually teaching well.

He could have been a better teacher were he not so bias, partial, and inherently mean. McGonnagal and Lupin were better.

When given a chance to finally kill Harry, just shouts "Don't ever call me a coward!"

Also he keeps right on teaching Harry. It is this behavior which makes me think JKR intends Snape to serve the "good", nasty git though he is.

Remember that the "fake" Mooney wasn't very nice. Taught by example, but never really nice.

Fake Moody was acting like the real Moody, and did so well even those who knew the real Moody didn't suspect. Great actor, Barty Jr turned out to be!

However, he was nice when it served him; like the way he reached out to Neville, something that Harry noted right off.

Sometimes Snape can be nice, or at least good, though haughty about it.

Yes, and those few moments make me believe JKR expects us to think he serves the Good. I note what he said when Umbridge sent for him to demand Veratiserum, and he attempted to prevent Neville from being strangled, and so forth; and of course, his not killing Harry as he fled Hogwarts.

I believe that there was a pact between Snape & Dumbledore where, Dumbledore knew that his failure to heal himself after fetching the ring, indicated that he was dying. Together they learned or guessed that Lord V was planning on having Draco Malfoy kill Dumbledore. The plot was hatched to get Snape deeply into Lord V's inner circle by Snape being the one to kill Dumbledore (First book, To the well ordered mind, death is just the next...)

So now, Draco has been shown to "not" be a true killer, and Snape appears to be the bad guy.

But will LV be pleased?

Yes, there is lots of stuff to do in the last book. The stay with the Dursleys, the wedding, then back to school, with side trips to look for the missing Horcrux (I didn't remember that "unopenable" locket - clever thinking that.) on Hogsmead weekends. Several small battles, and then the final confrontation between the Death eaters & Dumbledore's Army & Order of the Phoenix.

Oh, sorry everybody. No more time travel. ALL of the time turners were distroyed, or the ones at the Ministry were.

Yep, that was a clever ploy, to prevent the questions being asked, "why don't they undo this or that?"

My bet is even with time travel, you can only go back hours, not days.

Possible, though we have no way to know this.

Dumbledore was particularly annoying in Hagrids hut before they "beheaded" Buckbeak. Perhaps some of his own fortelling of the future?

Dumbledore held his cards very close to his vest, but he surely seemed to be very much aware of many things, much of the time ........
Quote:Remember that the "fake" Mooney wasn't very nice. Taught by example, but never really nice.

Fake Moody was acting like the real Moody, and did so well even those who knew the real Moody didn't suspect. Great actor, Barty Jr turned out to be!

However, he was nice when it served him; like the way he reached out to Neville, something that Harry noted right off.

Fake Moody did torture the creature during the spell demo. I wonder if this was to hint to us that he was actually a nasty person. We don't know whether the real Moody would have done this or even if the real Moody was a nice person, do we?
Darq Ali Wrote:I don't see one bit of this as feigned. This is 'the real Snape'. However it isn't all there is to Snape.

It it wasn't feigned or ordered, then Dumbledore is either incompetent or just as culpable.

Quote:He could have been a better teacher were he not so bias, partial, and inherently mean. McGonnagal and Lupin were better.

But then he wouldn't have been a very effective agent. In fact, it occurs to me that part of Snape's ability to thwart Voldemort's occulemancy is the very fact that he is so good at appearing "bias[ed], partial and inherently mean".

Quote:But will LV be pleased?

A good question. We were told by other sources that Draco was intended to fail as punishment for his father's failure. But even partial success, letting the Death Eaters into Hogwarts, could have meant the death of Dumbledore, which was acheived. It might be that Voldemort intended to punish the Malfoys and kill Dumbledore all at the same time, and with only half that end achieved, he would not be overly pleased with Snape, though he would certainly have very little cause to doubt Snape's loyalty. :eek:

Arcadia Wrote:Fake Moody did torture the creature during the spell demo. I wonder if this was to hint to us that he was actually a nasty person.

The creature was a spider; and no one seemed overly concerned with the well being of spiders, save Hagrid, who liked his supersized.

What concerned Harry was the effect of the torture upon Neville.

We don't know whether the real Moody would have done this or even if the real Moody was a nice person, do we?

No. Except, by inference. Many of the adults at Hogwarts, especially Dumbledore, knew the real Moody, and none of them suspected Crouch of being anything other than the genuine article ....... until he took Harry away after the end of the last task.
Quote:The creature was a spider; and no one seemed overly concerned with the well being of spiders, save Hagrid, who liked his supersized.

We saw reactions from some of the children who were upset. In the movie at least, Hermione even called out to stop.
Arcadia Wrote:We saw reactions from some of the children who were upset. In the movie at least, Hermione even called out to stop.
The students weren't concerned about the spiders though - their reactions were to the curses themselves. Hermione in particular called out because of the Neville's reaction to the curse on the spider at the time - the curse was the same one that had been used on his parents. Sorry - don't have a book handy for the correct spelling of the name of the curse and can't spell it to save my life at the moment.
Oh, I see.

Hm. Maybe I was in a minority then about being sorry for the creature. I hate spiders, but I don't want for any creature to suffer.
Arcadia Wrote:Oh, I see.

Hm. Maybe I was in a minority then about being sorry for the creature. I hate spiders, but I don't want for any creature to suffer.

Spiders are Satan's Little Helpers, but I'm with you. Needless suffering doesn't do much for me, even with the evil things.

Oh, I agree. I was a bit put off by Moody's treatment of all the spiders in that classroom scene, and it fit in the end with his nature as revealed.

But I too, like Harry, was more concerned with the affect on poor Neville.
i highly doubt snape isn't snape. I agree with the fact that its the last book and it'd be too complicated to put in. I've noticed a lot of theories have Aberforth in them.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fan Film: "Severus Snape and the Marauders" Michael 2 508 May 30th, 2016, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Michael
  RIP Professor Snape Paul Goode 3 707 January 17th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Last Post: badlands
  My harry potter theory: Harry is really Mourning Myrtle. badlands 0 422 September 19th, 2015, 01:55 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Video of Alan Rickman talking about playing Snape BookBug 0 510 January 24th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Last Post: BookBug
  Severus Snape poster for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" Michael 0 837 June 1st, 2011, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Is Snape Dumbledore's Man? [Spoliers for Deathly Hallows] Darq Ali 42 2,891 August 27th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Is Snape Abusive? RobRoy 46 4,164 February 15th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  snape is a good guy gbjefferson 78 3,286 September 12th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Darq Ali
  snape loves lily?it exlpains everything! gbjefferson 16 1,537 May 31st, 2006, 08:32 AM
Last Post: abz_ob
  Harry Potter 5-Will we see Snape's Worst Memory? Pechark 26 1,698 December 21st, 2005, 04:24 AM
Last Post: Kwik silver 44