Was Yoda serious when he said Luke was too old?
shadowfax Wrote:I always felt that placing a last hope on Leia would have been a huge gamble.

[snip]

Also, although they are twins, I always felt that mentally, Leia was older and maturer than Luke, at least before Luke's training. This would have made her far more difficult to train.

Based on Yoda's concerns regarding training Luke, regardless of if they were some kind of method to test his resolve or an honest rendering of his thoughts on the subject, Leia's more-serious mind should have rendered her the perfect candidate for such training.

Of course, it was Luke's seeming recklessness, such as the desire to turn his father back to the Light Side, that actually ended up paying off, but still, I would argue that Leia was actually the much better canvas for Obi-wan and Yoda to paint their Jedi-warrior.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:Based on Yoda's concerns regarding training Luke, regardless of if they were some kind of method to test his resolve or an honest rendering of his thoughts on the subject, Leia's more-serious mind should have rendered her the perfect candidate for such training.

Of course, it was Luke's seeming recklessness, such as the desire to turn his father back to the Light Side, that actually ended up paying off, but still, I would argue that Leia was actually the much better canvas for Obi-wan and Yoda to paint their Jedi-warrior.

But Vader had no emotional ties to Leia (albeit simply cause he didn't know she was his daughter) and he knew Luke was his son so again I think it's the emotional aspect that Yoda and Obi-Wan were maybe counting on as well.

I do agree from an emotional and commitment aspect Leia would have been more logical.
I can imagine quite a bit.
Han Solo Wrote:But Vader had no emotional ties to Leia (albeit simply cause he didn't know she was his daughter) and he knew Luke was his son so again I think it's the emotional aspect that Yoda and Obi-Wan were maybe counting on as well.

Perhaps, but did Yoda and Obi-wan want Luke to confront Vader in the manner he did? I was under the impression that they wanted him to end Vader and the Emperor, rather than convert Vader and end the Emperor by proxy. This "Fight! Win! Then come see me, darling, I enjoy our talks" philosophy is certainly in keeping with Obi-wan's confrontation with Anakin. He was far from merciful, or forgiving, and certainly didn't "feel the conflict within him".

But what if Luke had failed? Would Leia have then been able to step up? Who would have trained her? Jedi Master Deus E. Machina?
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cute Baby Yoda badlands 2 573 November 13th, 2020, 09:12 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Video: Star Wars 8 Trailer "Kylo Failed Luke" FilmGuy 0 348 November 17th, 2017, 06:44 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Alternate Luke Skywalker Coconut Ent 21 3,160 March 11th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Lucasfilm Ltd's Yoda statue has become a tourist landmark Michael 0 681 August 8th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Did Yoda and Obi-Wan abandon the remaining Jedi? Han Solo 9 2,490 March 28th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Han Solo
  is yoda the oldest jedi frkman 3 1,786 March 6th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Last Post: YodaIam
  Yoda's hyperactivity Galafre 9 1,286 February 6th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Last Post: frkman
  Yoda - Pop Star? RobRoy 0 679 June 5th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Yoda Cameo jmancool 3 841 June 5th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Last Post: jmancool
  If Leia could sense, why couldn't Luke? Pechark 10 1,015 April 6th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Han Solo